Author Topic: US Threat To Humanity  (Read 3357 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
US Threat To Humanity
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:16:58 AM »
For years, the US has been the main contributor to global warming.  The poles are melting and we're the main contributor to the world going to hell in a handbasket.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061229/ap_on_sc/canada_arctic_ice_break

I'm calling on the nations of the world to put sanctions on the US to bring our carbon dioxide production to the barest of minimums or risk pre-emptive military action against us.  The US has become a danger to all of humanity and it must DISARM and surrender its weapons of mass destruction or hopefully the nations of the world will disarm us by force.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: US Threat To Humanity
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »
For years, the US has been the main contributor to global warming.

Actually, the best estimates are that all of humanity is only contributing about 25-30% of the current observed global warming.

So, I guess Mother Nature is actually the "main contributer" to global warming?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:38:09 AM »
For years, the US has been the main contributor to global warming.

Actually, the best estimates are that all of humanity is only contributing about 25-30% of the current observed global warming.

So, I guess Mother Nature is actually the "main contributer" to global warming?

Had a large chunk of ice not just broke off near the pole, this comment might be humorous.  As a large chunk of ice HAS just broken off, it is really a waste of my time and only contributing to the problem.  Every moron who tries to downplay humanity's (specifically the US') part in global warming should be put on a list of people to be tried for crimes against humanity and jailed if found guilty.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:57:13 AM »
Every moron who tries to downplay humanity's (specifically the US') part in global warming should be put on a list of people to be tried for crimes against humanity and jailed if found guilty.

The only morons in this discussion are those who don't understand the science behind the global change research.

As I've pointed out (and provided the references and evidence for) numerous times in this forum, the expected temperature increase over the next century is 4-7 degrees. Of this, humanity is only responsible for <2 degrees of the change.

If we produced no pollution at all, the temperature increase over the next century would still be greater than 2-5 degrees. Which is similar (actually a bit smaller) to noted global temperature changes in the past, and is also enough to cause the melting noted at the poles and a shutdown of the thermohaline circulation in the Atlantic.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 02:37:01 PM »
<<Actually, the best estimates are that all of humanity is only contributing about 25-30% of the current observed global warming.>>

I will tell you, if I could identify a recurrent, unnecessary and preventable expense that was "only" contributing "about 25-30%"  to my annual expenses, I'd be pretty damned upset about it and bust my ass trying to stop it or minimize it.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »
I will tell you, if I could identify a recurrent, unnecessary and preventable expense that was "only" contributing "about 25-30%"  to my annual expenses, I'd be pretty damned upset about it and bust my ass trying to stop it or minimize it.

Would you claim that that 25-30% was the "majority" of your expenses? Because that is the claim I was countering.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 02:59:33 PM »
uhm guys
the solution to global warning is stop making a mess.
ex. texas has a relatively low population to the amount of land.
meaning everybody can do anything they want their.
it finlly caught up with them all that oil dumping in the ground is contaminating their water supply.
now they got strck laws forbidding that ,it took awhiler for that to happen
L.A. ,N.Y. air hasn`t had clean air in decades and still nobody thinks it`s a real problem.
all this technology we still have water and food problems
we should not woory about global warming,we should worry about keeping thing safe in general.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 03:05:13 PM »
the solution to global warning is stop making a mess.

Who was "making a mess" the last dozen or more times there was global warming?

Regardless of what we do, there will be global warming this century and an ice age beginning sometime the following century.

We're actually past due.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 03:17:53 PM »
true
but thats no excuse of letting things go
I live in a tourist town and if nodody picks up the trash we`ll won`t be for long.
swedens bay had dead seals one time it shocked the country soo much they got thee stictest eco laws in the world
we were to have a town where alot people started getting cancer we`ll probly just say that`s tought luck.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 03:29:10 PM »
true
but thats no excuse of letting things go

That true, and I never said that it was.

What I claimed was that 1) humans in general and the US in particular are not the majority contributor to global warming and 2) that nothing humans do will reverse global warming - our best efforts will only stave off the effects for a few decades.

Rather than spending time, money, and resources on tracking down "the perps" and bringing them to trial (as Brass suggested), we should be spending that money on more research into the problem and solutions to the problems we will face. And Brass' suggestion of "pre-emptive military action" against the US would do nothing but increase global warming, anyway.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »
ami your qoute
is that from teens go bad episode
it had kevin federlane as the ringleader
I always thought the flaw with that quote was nobody ever said it was good to beat up people

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 03:38:42 PM »
ami your qoute
is that from teens go bad episode

Yeah, I think so. If it had K-Fed in it, I wouldn't know. I don't think I know what he looks like. ;-)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
we`ll all forget about him soon enough
did you see last nights episode?
about this genius girl
talk about scarey smart.
I love phd tv
csi,numb3rs,house,bones
can`t get enough
grey`s anatomy is not phd tv
blechh

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 04:15:21 PM »
did you see last nights episode?
about this genius girl
talk about scarey smart.

I didn't TiVo it, so it must have been a re-run. That's the one where a brother and sister each confess?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 04:17:13 PM »
yes
that girl is a very good actress to play that part.