Author Topic: Two arrested in noose incident near Jena, Louisiana  (Read 3499 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Two arrested in noose incident near Jena, Louisiana
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 02:16:35 PM »
the noose is legal
he might be using it to kill something for fun
but inciting a riot is not
so the question of intent is what`s going on here

I suppose context is important , anything brandished in such a way as a reasonable person would construe it a death threat might be an assault.

Normally there is nothing threatening about a stick , but one could convert it to a deadly weapon with little change to the stick itself.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »
New York Article 240, Offenses against public order.

By the way, the individual in question above was arrested on the charges of DUI and Inciting to Riot.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
Apparently the Louisiana Law is rather simple.

?329.2.  Inciting to riot

Inciting to riot is the endeavor by any person to incite or procure any other person to create or participate in a riot. 

Acts 1969, No. 176, ?3. 
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
don`t know about jena
but do I know about new orleans
I have friends who have family there
no matter how race friendly it seems
the N-word is said there quite alot and not by blackfolks alone.
it`s so used often that my friend for aweek kept saying it.
she couldn`t help herself.
I understood
I worked with this texan and for aweek I couldn`t help say the f-word for aweek also
not saying texans swear ,just every single one I know did.

Richpo64

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 02:25:25 PM »
You could have just said you couldn't do it. Instead you just look foolish.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »
When I was in highschool there was this kid they called Snookie that had a passion for tying nooses. He tied the pullcord of every windowshade in the study hall into a noose, he tied the pullcord on every movie screen in the high school into a noose, he could not be around a rope, cord or string without tying it into a noose. During lunch hours he would twist napkins into a rope and tye a noose from it.

He never expressed any desire to hang anyone or anything.

He just liked nooses.

When he graduated he and Wesley Wilson, his sidekick or possibly wheelman, joined the Marines. Wesley weighed 300 lbs, and had to go through basic training twice before he lost 100 lbs and passed. Then they made him a clerk. I never did hear what became of Snookie.

There were several kids with the Stars and Bars front license plates on their cars, but I don't think they meant they supported racism by it. They just wanted to be thought of as "rebels".

About a dozen or so kids in the HS would stand up with their hands over their chests when the band played "Dixie", because it pissed the principal off.

Eventually, the band stopped playing 'Dixie" altogether. But it took three years.

A noose around Jena, LA probably indicates a hostile attitude.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »
couldn`t do what?

Richpo64

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »
>>A noose around Jena, LA probably indicates a hostile attitude.<<

So is a hostile attitude illegal?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 04:13:47 PM »
I'd consider it a death threat and I'd charge the owners with uttering death threats.  You'll see, nothing will happen to those crackers.  It's the South and despite whatever bullshit you hear in this forum from its defenders, it's a whole nuther world down there.  As events like Jena continue to demonstrate despite all this "New South" baloney they love to float about.

Hell, if they had been Tasered, you'd be complaining their right to free speech had been violated and the cops were fascist assholes. But this is the south, and everyone knows your opinion about that, so your attitude takes on a new twist.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »

Love said he was standing outside a club with some friends Thursday night when he saw a red pickup drive by slowly with two nooses hanging from it.

He said the truck continued up the street and passed by a large group of Jena 6 protesters standing outside a bus stop, and was then pulled over by police.

This could be why someone might have thought there was an attempt to incite a riot. Driving slowly past Jena 6 protesters would certainly appear deliberate rather than, say, just a couple of guys with a noose fetish out for a drive.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

yellow_crane

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »
Noose = threat of lynching (violence)
Confederate flag = Racism, secession (not necessarily violent)
Flag burning = disgust with U.S. actions at home and/or abroad (non-violent)

The Confederate flag and the burning of the U.S. flag can't even remotely be banned from public display, as objectionable as the former may be.

One argument for banning the noose display is that it advocates violence against blacks. At least in the context of what's currently going on in the area.  Is it an incitement to the crowd to riot?  I think that's stretching it.  Hard to see a red-neck punk already inclined to riot and just waiting for the signal before he starts.  I think it's more likely to be construed as a threat against blacks - - don't forget what us good Southern whitefolk can do to YOU, niggah.  Keep 'em in their place, keep 'em down.

I'd consider it a death threat and I'd charge the owners with uttering death threats.  You'll see, nothing will happen to those crackers.  It's the South and despite whatever bullshit you hear in this forum from its defenders, it's a whole nuther world down there.  As events like Jena continue to demonstrate despite all this "New South" baloney they love to float about.

Actually, what took place was amended social behavior because of sixty thousand new negroes in town.

What it also shows is that the police themselves admit the effect the symbol has on the Blacks, or what could possibly be the motivation for subduing the potential by pinching the punks NOW, in the middle of all this yankee fomentin'.

What have these deputies done before there were all those negroes in town?

Why . . . nothing.

You in Louisiana now.

Malcolm!?  Are you hearing it, Malcolm?  Your brothers and sisters stood up, in spite of Whitey telling them there was 'no reason to be in town, no reason at all.'

This is a good thing for America. 

Hat's off, Blacks, hats off.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 09:04:55 PM »
I don't think a hostile attitude is illegal, but if it is the job of police to ensure the public safety, and they can do this by talking awhile with the guys in the pickup truck that are dredging their nooses around town, then that is valid.

The whole thing, both the huge number of Blacks coming to Jena from out of town and the noose freaks, are akin to dogs peeing on trees to mark their territory. And about as useful.

I would not approve of them tasering or cuffing said clowns, by the way.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »
I am saying that I don't think that this particular demonstration is all that useful. If it results in a reasonable punishment (perhaps suspension from a year of school for all those who fought over the tree and nooses, both white and black), then maybe.

The Blacks have a right to have any sort of peaceful demonstration in Jena they wish.

The noosebearers have less a right to threaten them, being as a noose is hardly a valid way of advocating that Whites stand up for their rights. Rights do not include lynching or hanging.

Sometimes marking territory can be useful. Personally, I would stay out of this if I lived in Jena or even if I were Black.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:58 PM »
This is the Deep South, and [older] black people know the meaning of a noose. Let me tell you something?young people don?t.?

uhm
I think I just read almost a dozen articles on this subject,not once did any of them say what`s the meaning of a noose is.