Author Topic: What's lurking in our blood!  (Read 1729 times)

Cynthia

What's lurking in our blood!
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »
Amazing!

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Michelle Hammond and Jeremiah Holland were intrigued when a friend at the Oakland Tribune asked them and their two young children to take part in a cutting-edge study to measure the industrial chemicals in their bodies.

Tests showed that Rowan, at 18 months, had high levels of a chemical in his bloodstream that can cause thyroid dysfunction in rats.

1 of 3  "In the beginning, I wasn't worried at all; I was fascinated," Hammond, 37, recalled.

But that fascination soon changed to fear, as tests revealed that their children -- Rowan, then 18 months, and Mikaela, then 5 -- had chemical exposure levels up to seven times those of their parents.

"[Rowan's] been on this planet for 18 months, and he's loaded with a chemical I've never heard of," Holland, 37, said. "He had two to three times the level of flame retardants in his body that's been known to cause thyroid dysfunction in lab rats."

The technology to test for these flame retardants -- known as polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) -- and other industrial chemicals is less than 10 years old. Environmentalists call it "body burden" testing, an allusion to the chemical "burden," or legacy of toxins, running through our bloodstream. Scientists refer to this testing as "biomonitoring."

Most Americans haven't heard of body burden testing, but it's a hot topic among environmentalists and public health experts who warn that the industrial chemicals we come into contact with every day are accumulating in our bodies and endangering our health in ways we have yet to understand.  See which household products contain industrial chemicals ?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/10/22/body.burden/index.html

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's lurking in our blood!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »
Probably because his parents are so paranoid about fire, everything the kid touches is only purchased if it's "flame retardant".

I didn't raise my kid this way. I didn't douse her and her stuff in chemicals to keep away the nasties. She got sick. She put dirty stuff in her mouth (we still have pictures of her eating ants). She got hurt. Heck, we only used the modern, "ultra absorbent" diapers if we were going on a long trip in the car - for everyday use, it was cloth diapers washed in detergent without chemicals. Much of her clothing and bedding was made by my wife from untreated fabric we bought at Walmart.

And she survived.

Nowadays, she's rarely sick because SHE HAS AN IMMUNE SYSTEM. One that was built over years of exposure to stuff that could harm her. Her body figured out how to keep her healthy.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
I posted this article for that very reason....for folks to say Give me a break!

Reading the article in depth I discoverd that lipstick, perfume, Saran wrap, you name it all contain dangerous chemical lurking  in our blood. Give me a break, I say! Hollywood celebs in the 30's managed to live a long life.......and yet, they were doused in makeup that probably contained LEAD! HA.

Paranoia is what is lurking in the minds of people in this country. China is not trying to kill our cats! They just wouldn't do us in that way. ha! Give me a Break!
Would they?

Gosh, there was a time when we didn't have seatbelts in cars. No car seats for little ones. Lead all over the place in cribs. We're still here! ha!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:54:34 PM »
When I was a kid, the irresponsible parents were the ones who didn't make the rugrats sit down and stop bouncing on the backseat at 60 mph.

The ones who fed the kids paint chips and watched them wash it down with Schlitz and Blatz.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:11:51 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/10/23/ca.arrowhead.slurry.drop.kabc

Talk about damaging chemicals.

The fires are the worst in California's history.

FEMA; will they be there this time?

When are we going to learn. Storms of fire. Earthquakes, mudslides,

.....who  would build their homes on the point of such danger....a point of a possible "Perfect Storm"?

Is this a case of global warming or a case of poor judgement in terms of where to "build"............ and take up housekeeping?

I feel for the horses. Some are indeed dead.
Sad.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:32:03 AM »
Stuff happens.

If you can't afford to lose it, insure it.

If you wait for the government to save you, it is too late.

And they should make wildfire arson a capital crime.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:42:47 AM »
  Should there be guidence for homebuyers and builders that advises against building in areas that have dangerous fire seasons?

Or shouud more of these buildings be forbidden?

Will Metal roofs and concrete walls become more popular for rustic locations?

Cynthia

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:55:54 AM »
They now have foam spray to coat the homes in the line of fire! How many ways can we protect a home before we ask,

Why bother building there in the first place? But, then again, we love our "homes" and that might just mean a cliff, a bluff, or inside a mountain......Osama lives in a rock...and sometimes under one. Heck, he's safer than we are right now and spewing his own chemical crap. Seven years later!

by the way;

I'm surprised I haven't heard from those who believe that Global warming is the cause.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:20:30 AM »

I'm surprised I haven't heard from those who believe that Global warming is the cause.

Its possible , but hard to prove.