Author Topic: hungry now  (Read 1175 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: hungry now
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »

Escamole shortage

BTW( I nominate, "ethnoentomobiodiversity" as the five dollar word of the month.)

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1716161

Edible insects are a natural renewable resource that provides food to many ethnic groups in Mexico. Some of these species are overexploited because of increased consumption, caused by the huge human population growth in the area and because of the large demand of these insects from many restaurants in Mexico and in other countries.
In Tulancalco, a small arid village in the State of Hidalgo, I carried out studies on edible insects over 25 years. The inhabitants of this village have a natural economy and use some 30 species of insects as food. At present, we have noticed a decrease in the population of several species due to overexploitation, which is carried by non-qualified independent workers who are not natives of the town. These gatherers sell their catch to make a living, thus contributing to the socioeconomic factors associated with this issue. These actions have degraded the ecosystems of this area, and consequently the prevention of these measures is critical.

The study species in this paper include 14 threatened species and we discuss some pragmatic measures that could implemented to avoid their extinction. In addition, some actions for the preservation of the ethnoentomobiodiversity in the area are proposed.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »
I keep thinking of the feast scene in temple of doom.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »
I keep thinking of the feast scene in temple of doom.

That ended up with the monkey brains, didn't it? I don't recall anyone actually getting to take a bite of their monkey brains, because the feast was savagely interrupted.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
actually my dad tried it
very over-rated
it`s one of the food you eat for the status not the taste

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:20:37 AM »
actually my dad tried it
very over-rated
it`s one of the food you eat for the status not the taste

The monkey paws are a delicacy in Honduras.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)