Author Topic: Who wants to cause chaos in Iraq? Or choose chaos?  (Read 1907 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Who wants to cause chaos in Iraq? Or choose chaos?
« on: December 03, 2006, 04:05:16 AM »
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12137.htm

Roberst Fisk shares his Middle East knowledge

Reporter: Tony Jones

TONY JONES: Well, Robert Fisk is one of the most experienced observers of the Middle East and in his latest book, 'The Great War for Civilisation - the Conquest of the Middle East', he draws on almost 30 years of reporting from his base in Lebanon to look at the forces which have shaped current events and conflicts Robert Fisk, thanks for being there.

ROBERT FISK, WRITER & JOURNALIST: You're welcome.

TONY JONES: Now, unless you've changed your position in recent days, the one thing that you and President Bush agree on is there's not going to be a civil war in Iraq.

ROBERT FISK: Yeah, I listened to Bush. It made me doubt myself when I heard him say that. I still go along and say what I said before - Iraq is not a sectarian society, but a tribal society. People are intermarried. Shiites and Sunnis marry each other. It's not a question of having a huge block of people here called Shiites and a huge block of people called Sunnis any more than you can do the same with the United States, saying Blacks are here and Protestants are here and so on. But certainly, somebody at the moment is trying to provoke a civil war in Iraq. Someone wants a civil war. Some form of militias and death squads want a civil war. There never has been a civil war in Iraq. The real question I ask myself is: who are these people who are trying to provoke the civil war? Now the Americans will say it's Al Qaeda, it's the Sunni insurgents. It is the death squads. Many of the death squads work for the Ministry of Interior. Who runs the Ministry of Interior in Baghdad? Who pays the Ministry of the Interior? Who pays the militia men who make up the death squads? We do, the occupation authorities. I'd like to know what the Americans are doing to get at the people who are trying to provoke the civil war. It seems to me not very much. We don't hear of any suicide bombers being stopped before they blow themselves up. We don't hear of anybody stopping a mosque getting blown up. We're not hearing of death squads all being arrested. Something is going very, very wrong in Baghdad. Something is going wrong with the Administration. Mr Bush says, "Oh, yes, sure, I talk to the Shiites and I talk to the Sunnis." He's talking to a small bunch of people living behind American machine guns inside the so-called Green Zone, the former Republican palace of Saddam Hussein, which is surrounded by massive concrete walls like a crusader castle. These people do not and cannot even leave this crusader castle. If they want to leave to the airport, they're helicoptered to the airport. They can't even travel on the airport road. What we've got at the moment is a little nexus of people all of whom live under American protection and talk on the telephone to George W Bush who says, "I've been talking to them and they have to choose between chaos and unity." These people can't even control the roads 50 metres from the Green Zone in which they work.

TONY JONES: OK.

ROBERT FISK: There's total chaos now in Iraq.

TONY JONES: Let's go back, if we can, to start answering that question about who wants civil war. Back one week to the bombing of the golden shrine in Samarra. Now, most people do think the only people with reasons for doing that would be the Al Qaeda in Iraq group led by al-Zarqawi. You don't agree?

ROBERT FISK: Well, I don't know if al-Zarqawi is alive. You know, al-Zarqawi did exist before the American Anglo-American invasion. He was up in the Kurdish area, which was not actually properly controlled by Saddam. But after that he seems to have disappeared. We know there's an identity card that pops up. We know the Americans say we think we've recognised him on a videotape. Who recognises him on a videotape? How many Americans have ever met al-Zarqawi? Al-Zarqawi's mother died more than 12 months ago and he didn't even send commiserations or say "I'm sorry to hear that". His wife of whom he was very possessive is so poor she has to go out and work in the family town of Zarqa. Hence the name Zarqawi. I don't know if al-Zarqawi is alive or exists at the moment. I don't know if he isn't a sort of creature invented in order to fill in the narrative gaps, so to speak. What is going on in Iraq at the moment is extremely mysterious. I go to Iraq and I can't crack this story at the moment. Some of my colleagues are still trying to, but can't do it. It's not as simple as it looks. I don't believe we've got all these raving lunatics wandering around blowing up mosques. There's much more to this than meets the eye. All of these death squads that move around are part of the security forces. In some cases they are Shiite security forces or clearly Sunni security forces. When the Iraqi army go into Sunni cities they are Shiite soldiers going in. We are not making this clear. Iraqi troops, we've got an extra battalion. The Iraqi army is building up. The Iraqi army is split apart. Somebody is operating these people. I don't know who they are. It's not as simple as we're making it out to be. What is this thing when Bush says we have to choose between chaos and unity? Who wants to choose chaos? Is it really the case that all of these Iraqis that fought together for eight years against the Iranians, Shiites and Sunnies together in the long massive murderous Somme-like war between the Iranians and Iraqis - suddenly all want to kill each other? Why because that's something wrong with Iraqis? I don't think so. They are intelligent, educated people. Something is going seriously wrong in Baghdad.

TONY JONES: Can we look at one thing that might possibly be wrong, the Sunnis feel like they are being left out of the political equation. The Shias could end up running the majority of the government because they are indeed in the majority in a democracy.

ROBERT FISK: They do run the Government now. The Shiites do run the Government.

[......much more..............]
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Who wants to cause chaos in Iraq? Or choose chaos?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 12:33:47 PM »
Raises more questions than it answers.  I mean even Fisk himself doesn't answer his own questions.  The death squads are operating under somebody's control but Fisk doesn't know whose.

Just running through Fisk's argument:  Sunni insurgents blow up Shi'ite mosques and gatherings.  Shi'ite death squads retaliate.  But there was no comparable inter-Muslim violence before, where does it come from now?  Somebody wants to destabilize Iraq.
Who?

Why not run the argument backwards?  What would happen if there were no intercommunal violence?  America "officially" could pull out.  The "Iraqi Army" (which Fisk says is the Shi'ite Army) would handle the "security" of the state.  No more reason for America to be there any more.  'Bye, America and THANK YOU SO MUCH for killing 600,000 of our citizens and bringing us this wonderful democracy of yours in return for their worthless carcasses.

What's this?  The Americans pull out and leave Iraq and the second-largest proven oil reserves in the world at the mercy of the Iraqi (= Shi'ite = Iranian) Army?   THIS is what 3,000 Americans died for and 20,000 Americans were crippled for?  There is no fuckin way.

If the chaos ends, the Americans have no "official" reason for staying.  But the Americans don't want to leave. So . . .

But Fisk isn't shy about voicing anti-American opinions.  If he thinks the U.S. is behind this, why doesn't he come out and say so?  At one point, it almost sounded like he was blaming others - - Europeans?  Russians?  Chinese?

I've got the feeling Fisk knows more than he's saying.  But why wouldn't he say what he knows?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 12:35:34 PM by Michael Tee »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:19:38 PM »
He is a relatively young man who has things to do, places to go, people to see.  Wants to keep his health, I'm sure. 
And it may be so convoluted that he really does not know.   
There are others who would like to see us weakened; I think of the Chinese first in that respect.  I don't think that's far-fetched at all, really.  Do you?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 09:06:46 PM »
" But there was no comparable inter-Muslim violence before,..."

Sure there was , the time that there was not was time when one side had acheived dominance.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 01:11:11 PM »
<<Sure there was [comparable inter-Muslim violence before], the time that there was not was time when one side had acheived dominance.>>

I'm not sure just what time period you're referring to but it doesn't really matter because there is just no truth at all in your allegation.  There was never anything like the intercommunal violence of the present day during any previous period of Iraqi history.

Kofi Anan just stated that the life of the average Iraqi today is WORSE than it was under Saddam Hussein.  That's quite an accomplishment, particularly since the Bush administration had portrayed Saddam as the son of Satan.  Wonder what that makes Bush?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
<<He is a relatively young man who has things to do, places to go, people to see.  Wants to keep his health, I'm sure. >>

That's all true, but he risks his life just by going where he goes.  Though there are some things that could substantially increase the risk.

<<And it may be so convoluted that he really does not know. >>

I know, but you'd think he'd have some ideas - - more than he lets on in the article.

<<There are others who would like to see us weakened; I think of the Chinese first in that respect.  I don't think that's far-fetched at all, really.  Do you?>>

It's not really far-fetched, but there's no evidence of a Chinese hand so far.  It wouldn't surprise me at all, but nobody can yet rule out the more obvious (and closer to the scene) suspects.  If the Chinese are behind any of it, they're really good - - not a sign of their presence and a real God-awful mess brewed up.  Almost too good to be true.

I can't help coming back to the central question - - what else does Fisk know that he isn't saying?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:34:49 PM »
<<Sure there was [comparable inter-Muslim violence before], the time that there was not was time when one side had acheived dominance.>>

I'm not sure just what time period you're referring to but it doesn't really matter because there is just no truth at all in your allegation.  There was never anything like the intercommunal violence of the present day during any previous period of Iraqi history.

Kofi Anan just stated that the life of the average Iraqi today is WORSE than it was under Saddam Hussein.  That's quite an accomplishment, particularly since the Bush administration had portrayed Saddam as the son of Satan.  Wonder what that makes Bush?

Then you do not know why there is a diffrence between Sunni and Shia , and you are not counting the war on Kurds that went on almost throughout the administration of Saddam.

We still have a long way to go to catch up with Saddam even if you accept the 600,000 figure as accurate.

BTW aren't some of the 600,000 the responsibility of the people who we will leave Iraq to if we abandon it?

If the casualty rate shoots skyward as soon as the USA leaves will you feel buring shame for reccomending it or are you good with any outcome?