Author Topic: The Attack on Imus  (Read 15177 times)

Mucho

Re: The Attack on Imus
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2007, 01:40:41 AM »
What would make him a racist?

You will never know, being one yourself. But denigrating young, beautiful and capapble women of color might be a start.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2007, 01:44:19 AM »
You will never know, being one yourself.

What possible evidence do you have that i am a racist?

Mucho

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2007, 01:46:05 AM »
You will never know, being one yourself.

What possible evidence do you have that i am a racist?

You defend and love them all.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2007, 01:50:35 AM »
You defend and love them all.

Who have i defended?

terra

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2007, 02:25:51 AM »

I stand firm on my stance on Imus. He was saying what many, many, many successful men say "behind closed doors", regardless of race. I don't approve of insults, necessarily, but I also do not approve of the ridiculous amount of credibility given to a man notorious for playing the crotchety old white guy. The collective relieving of personal guilt through the attack of a man who does a great amount of good, decent, charitable work is appalling.

Imus is a wealthy white man that had power...he had over the years made statements that was obscene and vulgar. he not only made that statement about young black women but others. I have no idea why he remained on the air for as long as he had...he might think of it as a free pass by his old boss..because the new one don't play. And that is why he got fired...a new boss that finds bigotry not to be condoned.

Between the down right lies from Faux Snooze and the bigotry from so many on the air, it's time that what came out of our mouths meant more then showing a boob.  We have the right to say what we want...we are not guaranteed not to have to pay the coincidences...Imus paid. All I have heard is about rappers...blaming rabbers for what that 66 year old man said...it was not a rapper that called any one a nappy headed ho...it was Imus who is responsible for what he has coming out of his mouth.

And as for his charity work? so what? Should that exuse anything else he does/ If he helps an old woman across the street, should he be acquitted of murder? One thing has nothing to do with each other. Just think if he had said that about Laura Bush or Mother Babs?

terra

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2007, 02:29:55 AM »
One statement or a couple statements over the course of decades does not a man make.

No doubt he made a stupid statement. No doubt that statement could be construed to have racial overtones. But that doesn't make the man a racist.

Ponders whether it is too late for him to do the rehab retreat.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2007, 02:41:35 AM »
he might think of it as a free pass by his old boss..because the new one don't play. And that is why he got fired...a new boss that finds bigotry not to be condoned.

What new boss? He's been working for CBS since 1997.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

terra

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2007, 03:06:11 AM »
One statement or a couple statements over the course of decades does not a man make.

No doubt he made a stupid statement. No doubt that statement could be construed to have racial overtones. But that doesn't make the man a racist.

Ponders whether it is too late for him to do the rehab retreat.

Imus called Venus Williams an animal, said her and her sister would be in National Geographic before playboy.

But Imus had his side kick who got to say all the juicy stuff....I think he was called the resident racist...the one that allowed Imus to remain above the frey...Bernard....the one that said the reason that Jepardy did not have many blacks on it was, that  they did not recruit from prisons or have an affirmative action recruiter.

Imus and Bernard also had a blast in impersonating Dr. Maya Angelou..
 Whitey plucked you from the jungle for too many years

Took away your pride, your dignity, and your spears

With freedom came new woes

Into whitey's world you was rudely cast

So wake up now and go to work?

You can kiss my big black ass

In 2000, the program's treatment of African-Americans also drew the ire of Chicago Tribune columnist Clarence Page. Appearing on the show, Page asked Imus to pledge to "cease all simian references [to] black athletes" and "references to noncriminal blacks as thugs, pimps, muggers, and Colt 45 drinkers." Imus responded, "I promise to do that." Page went on to ask that Imus put "an end to Amos 'n Andy cuts, comparison of New York City to Mogadishu, and all parodies of black voices," at which point Imus said, "I think Bernard should be doing this." As co-host Brook Gladstone noted on the August 18, 2001, edition of National Public Radio's On the Media, Imus' pledge "was inevitably and immediately broken."

MSNBC apologized in 2004 when Imus said that Palestinians were "stinking animals."

The Daily News article quoted Imus as saying, "Things are said on this program all the time that are inappropriate and in poor taste" and that "it's an attempt to be humorous, not a serious analysis of someone's status." Imus added, "If we make fun of Maya Angelou because she sounds a certain way, that's fine."

Well it's not fine. Dr. Angelou is a lovely warm hearted woman. She is soft spoken, intelligent and does not deserve such ugliness.
What is wrong with this country where belittling others is fine?

terra

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2007, 03:17:33 AM »

Seems to be standard fare.

Knute does it in here all the time.

So do you.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »
<<In the '60s there was reason to fight. There was reason to take to the streets and march. Now there is no excuse short of their own failures. >>

Surely you're not calling the Rutgers women's basketball team failures?  They made it into a respectable university and finished second out of what must have been a couple dozen other teams at least.  Still, they're ridiculed publically on national TV as "nappy-headed hos."   The ONLY people I can blame for these insults are Imus and his sidekick, nobody else.  Certainly not the team.

<<Furthermore, racism is kept alive ONLY by those giving it credbility. >>

Ludicrous.  Racism is obviously kept alive by Imus and ass-holes like him, and his defenders.  The team did absolutely NOTHING to provoke Imus' racist insult.  To remain silent in the face of it, to allow Imus to continue to spew racist insults (this being far from his first) - - now THAT is certainly one of the ways to keep racism alive.

<<To use another legal reference: In a court of law, an unscrupulous attorney may raise in trial or motions a statement out of scope of the initial suit. If the other attorney acknowledges that sentiment in any manner, even if it is only to say its not true, if they say anything except objection out of scope-they have given the statement credibility and it thus becomes a triable issue.>>

That argument presumes that there was nothing racist to start with in Imus' statement and that only the protest against it as being racist has given it its racist character.  That's patently absurd because to everyone (except you, apparently) the words "nappy-headed hos" applied to an almost all-black women's team are implicitly and obviously racist.  Notwithstanding your ingenious and imaginative researches into dictionary and alternative meanings for the words.  You seem to be under the illusion that all dictionary meanings of a word are equivalent in popular usage, that for instance if I refer to some James Dean wannabe as a "punk" that I have called him either an inconsequential or insignificant young hoodlum or a prostitute because the dictionary allows both meanings.  What you fail to appreciate is that every time a word is used by a speaker, that speaker is not necessarily intending that that word be given ALL of its dictionary meanings, and that the listener understands that as well.  The meaning of the word, from a possible range of all its dictionary definitions, is taken from the context in which it was spoken.  In the context in which Imus was speaking, "nappy-headed hos" meant pretty much the same as "nigger whores" and would have been understood as such by virtually any listener without a political agenda.

<<Do you think it was white people selling the slaves from Africa to the U.S.? Do you think only white people owned slaves? There is much documentation on Blacks-particularly in black-friendly southern cities like New Orleans-owning slaves.>>

I'm sure the whites had their collaborators and their enablers, their Uncle Toms etc. but it was white merchants, white buyers, white ships and white armies that created and maintained slavery.  Without the entire white support structure for slavery in place, the entire system wouldn't have lasted a minute.

<< Slavery was an economic principle THROUGHOUT WORLD HISTORY(suffered by every nationality in existence, nearly)that finally began phasing out prior to the Civil War. You know, the burden of ownership being what it is and all.>>

Well since your subject was the lazy, no-good African-American community and their whining about victimization, I don't see how a discussion of slavery in the Athenian silver mines is going to add to this discussion.  The problems of today's African-Americans descends squarely from North American slavery, Jim Crow and lynch mob racism, and regardless of what problems remain today from ancient and international forms of slavery, their problems are strictly the "gift" of white male Americans and nobody else.  Much as those criminal fascists and their defenders might like to spread the blame around on everyone else in the world, they aren't fooling anybody.  They should grow up, face the music and admit what they did - - and pay reparations for it.

<<Your liberalism is making you sound silly. I could construe the above sentiment ["You think the Jews, Hispanics and Koreans don't insult the blacks as well?  Or is it OK to insult the blacks because "they" insult Jews, Koreans and Hispanics?  Who specifically did the Rutgers team insult racially that justified Imus' insults?"]to mean that only blacks can be offended or spew awful speech. But I won't. >>

Well, you couldn't, actually.  It was a response to your complaint that blacks insult other groups.  A totally meaningless and irrelevant comment.  Some blacks insult others, just as some whites insult others.  Hopefully ALL such insults are condemned by the majority of Americans.  In no way could your statement exonerate Imus, give him a pass on anythng, or justify his continuing to pollute the airwaves with his racism.

<<I could also construe that if someone is "justified" by another actions than it is ok to make ignorant or inflammatory statements. But, again, I won't. >>

And again, you couldn't.

<<I do challenge you, however, to state with more clarity whatever it is your point had been.>>

I was rebutting YOUR point - - if it was a point.  You pointed out that blacks have insulted Jews, Koreans and others.  MY point was that this was totally irrelevant and furthermore may have been provoked (not justified, just provoked) by Jews and Koreans insulting blacks.

<<Hypersensitivity has really killed alot of the fun broadcasters were having years ago. Steve Allen's "Hebrew National Salami" bit would never fly today. >>

I agree with you about hypersensitivity in general, although I don't recall the Hebrew National Salami bit.  I'm sure whatever it involved, Steve Allen did not call any specific group of Jewish girls or Jewish women in general the equivalent of "nappy-headed hos" (hook-nosed sluts?) or raise any insult of that level against anyone.  And if he HAD, there would have been a shit-storm of protest and that would have been the last anyone ever heard of Steve Allen.

<<But, short of Lenny Bruce(older generations, help me out?) I can't think of anyone using the sort of language currently raising national news media discourse.>>

I can't recall anything like Imus' comments ever coming out of the mouth of Lenny Bruce.  Don't forget, Imus was insulting a specific identifiable group of young college students, a group of only (I think) ten girls.  Who had done absolutely nothing to provoke the insult except play basketball.

<<If my neighbor's house is torn down in a tornado, or affected by other means-I will help him rebuild it(actually, I'm a girl and I'm sexist so I would make my boyfriend do it, or have him hire it done   ). If my neighbor is injured bodily and needs my assistance, I will offer it.>>

OK, so you're not ALL bad.

<< If my neighbor has low self-esteem, ocd, etc.-I will not help him. It is not my issue, nor am I qualified to.>>

What if your neighbour has low self-esteem and some guy who sells products you buy works on national radio, ridicules your neighbour by name, to an audience of millions, openly laughs at him, tells the world how ugly he is and calls him a sex pervert as well?  What do you think THAT does for your neighbour's self-esteem?   Would you not at least want to pick up the phone and tell your suppliers, "Hey that guy who sells your stuff is an ass-hole?"  Wouldn't you want to ask,  "Why do you want a guy like that representing your brand?"

I am having a real tough time understanding your total indifference to your neighbour's pain.  To the cruelty of somebody who gratuitously without provocation insults your neighbour, low self-esteem or not.  Having low self-esteem is not a crime.  It shouldn't give anyone a licence to attack them and further lower their self-esteem.  Why would you remain indifferent to this kind of bullying when with very little effort you could step in and make a difference - - set a precedent where this bully at least is stopped in his tracks and future bullys have to think twice before repeating his mistake.   Oh, I forgot - - it's just not your problem.  I gotta say it - - people like you just boggle my mind.  I'm glad you're in the minority, even in your own country.

Mucho

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »

Seems to be standard fare.

Knute does it in here all the time.

So do you.
If you will check it, I only belittle the puffed up , arrogant & power wannbees.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »
Terra,
So good to see you! 

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2007, 02:26:39 PM »
If you will check it, I only belittle the puffed up , arrogant & power wannbees.

Just a reminder.

Your posting privileges depend on my good will.

No wannabee power involved at all.

Something to keep in mind as you attempt to shitify this forum.

and remember also it was you who said we had a plethora of shitty outlets and we don't need more.

domer

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2007, 03:47:06 PM »
Imus, despite the recent flap -- which was justly resolved -- is a decent man, that is, among other things, a non-racist one. Blowhards descend from far and wide to take a pound of his flesh after the whole damn carcass has been carried out! Over the years, I have listened to him rarely, in recent years assiduously changing from MSNBC should I have it on in his morning time slot. From what I know, much more so than most, he tried to keep his show fresh and sharp with parody and satire, sometimes on the cutting edge and artfully, now and then ham-handedly and even ugly. His passing from the scene -- for how long? don't forget he's positioned to retire comfortably -- in my view clearly serves a larger purpose in public "morals" and rhetoric, one that is directly related to the very bugaboo of our history as a nation, that is, a not insubstantial thing. But as for Imus, when he gets over the shock and digests the humble pie, he'll find a place at my table any time he wants, with Sharpton or Jackson in a fantasy guest list designed to show solidarity against perpetuating harmful stereotypes against vulnerable minorities, respect for a public figure who tried (and failed) to bridge gaps with humor, and for the holy grail of civil discourse, so long missing.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2007, 03:51:57 PM »
to err is human to forgive divine

pun intended