Author Topic: Canada is a Racist Nation  (Read 9170 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Canada is a Racist Nation
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »
<<Ummm.....isn't that how it works with Republicans??>>

You gotta look to the POLICIES and the Republican policies hurt the blacks while the Democratic policies help the blacks, or at least try to.

Also the recruitment:  the Southern Strategy was aimed at roping in disaffected Democratic racists into the Republican Party after the passage of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act.  The Democrats after the passage of those acts no longer were attractive to white racists.  When the Voting Rights Act was passed, LBJ said "We've lost the South for a whole generation."

I wish you would!

When the Dixiecrats counted up the votes availible to a White supremeisist , it turned out that they were not enough to carry any weight and no one wanted them anymore, Nixon did no policy to cause the gratitude of racists , nor any since.

LBJ was wrong about that wasn't he? if a generation is twenty years , then the South was Democrat territory for the whole rest of that generation.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »
<<Ummm.....isn't that how it works with Republicans??>>

You gotta look to the POLICIES and the Republican policies hurt the blacks while the Democratic policies help the blacks, or at least try to.

Hysterical.  Policies that treat everyone equally, fairly & colorless "hurt Blacks", put policies that advocate reverse discrimination, and setting races, not to mention classes, against each other, now THAT's helpful.  Larger majority of Republicans passing the Civil Rights Act than Dems is "hurtful", Democrats actually trying to filibuster the Act, now that's helpful

Bizarro world, indeed     ::)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:53:22 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 01:47:32 AM »
<<LBJ was wrong about that wasn't he? if a generation is twenty years , then the South was Democrat territory for the whole rest of that generation.>>

A generation, in my book, is thirty years.  What used to be a solidly Democratic South is now up for grabs and so of course the Democrats have lost something there.

If you sleep with a woman every night for thirty years and then you find that some nights some other guy is in bed with her and some nights you're in bed with her, I think you lost something too.  According to your theory, unless the other guy is in bed with her seven nights a week, you haven't really lost anything.

LBJ was right, the Democrats lost the South, a formerly solid Democratic region, for at least a generation and in reality for much longer.  And they lost it because the leadership of the Democratic Party introduced and passed the two major civil rights acts of the last century.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 01:50:53 AM »
And they lost it because the leadership of the Democratic Party introduced and passed the two major civil rights acts of the last century.

You don't think the McGovern branch of the Democrat Party had anything to do with it?

Observe that the south voted for a more centrist democrat the very next election in 76.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 02:28:37 AM »
Yeah, obviously there were other factors, race wasn't the only one.  McGovern pissed them off because he was for peace, but again it's no coincidence that the most militaristic and war-loving part of the nation is also the most racially prejudiced part - - war today is usually made by the U.S.A. against non-whites, so the South would seem to be the region most indifferent to the suffering of the victims of U.S. aggression.  They don't give a shit how many of them suffer and die because they're "inferior breeds," or whatever term polite Southerners use today to describe the untermenschen.

So were they pissed off at McGovern because he threatened their love of war or because he threatened their chance to violently dominate non-whites?  Six of one and half-a-dozen of another, IMHO.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:46:09 AM »
<<LBJ was wrong about that wasn't he? if a generation is twenty years , then the South was Democrat territory for the whole rest of that generation.>>

A generation, in my book, is thirty years.  What used to be a solidly Democratic South is now up for grabs and so of course the Democrats have lost something there.

If you sleep with a woman every night for thirty years and then you find that some nights some other guy is in bed with her and some nights you're in bed with her, I think you lost something too.  According to your theory, unless the other guy is in bed with her seven nights a week, you haven't really lost anything.

LBJ was right, the Democrats lost the South, a formerly solid Democratic region, for at least a generation and in reality for much longer.  And they lost it because the leadership of the Democratic Party introduced and passed the two major civil rights acts of the last century.

LBJ did not say that this would hurt us somewhat about twenty years from now, he was very simply entirely wrong.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »

LBJ did not say that this would hurt us somewhat about twenty years from now, he was very simply entirely wrong.

==========================================================================

So your argument is that passing the Civil Rights Acts that allowed Blacks to vote was wrong, because it caused the Whites to run off and joint the Republicans?

I suggest that it was the right thing to do, even though it was not the politically wise thing to do. In a democracy, all should have the right to vote, or you do not have a democracy.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 07:09:10 AM »
I doubt that was what Plane meant.

He meant that the Voting Rights Act was not what opened up the two party system in the South.

Observe that when the GOP had majority control neither the civil rights nor the voting rights acts were repealed.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »
<<He meant that the Voting Rights Act was not what opened up the two party system in the South.>>

No, I thought he meant that LBJ was wrong in predicting the loss of the South for a generation.  But plane himself could easily clear up what he meant.

<<Observe that when the GOP had majority control neither the civil rights nor the voting rights acts were repealed.>>

Yes, and why didn't the white Southern racists who fled the Democratic Party in reaction to the Civil Rights legislation and were then captured by the Southern Strategy, walk out on the Republicans?

Some of them did, into fringe Third Party movements.  But why did racists like Thad Cochran, Jesse Helms and Trent Lott stay with the GOP?  Probably because they were realists who knew they had no place to go.  Under the old system of Jim Crow, the country was becoming ungovernable, with riots in the streets, Freedom Riders being killed and crippled at the hands of white racist Southerners, people demanding freedom and equality being attacked with dogs and firehoses in the streets of American cities for the whole world to see, student strikes and a huge international black eye that the country could no longer afford.  So the Republican Party, if it meant to remain a national party, could no longer associate itself with the old brand of Southern racism, at least not publicly.  A whole new language of codes had to be developed if the GOP could maintain even a subliminal connection to the White South.  For realists like Cochran, Helms and Lott, it was a no-brainer:  how many times can a man switch parties and retain credibility?  Where else was there to go?  And, finally, better to stick with a party that still works under the table for white racist ideals than return to one which has fully embraced the concept of black-white equality.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:26:40 AM by Michael Tee »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »
And, finally, better to stick with a party that still works under the table for white racist ideals than return to one which has fully embraced the concept of black-white equality.

Please provide an example of GOP legislation that covertly panders to white racist ideals.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »
That's the beauty of it Bt.  It's done so well, you can't find any.  In other words, lack of proof is proof yet again.  Taaadaaaaa
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
<<Please provide an example of GOP legislation that covertly panders to white racist ideals.>>

Sure.  Failure to raise minimum wage for almost a decade.  Budget cuts on services.  Failure to raise welfare entitlements.  Policies that sap the efficacy of public education by promoting "magnet schools" or "charter schools" at the expense of broad, across-the-board funding for all public schools.  War in Iraq.  War in Afghanistan.  Failure to ensure health care for dozens of millions of Americans.  Support for Confederate flags and memorials on public institutions.

Your question was a little loaded, because often it's not what they do, it's what they leave undone.
You also assume that the Republican Party is maybe a little more honest than it actually is - - it promises, but doesn't necessarily deliver on its promises.  It says things that attract racists like flies to shit, but does not always give them what they want.  Still that in itself is encouraging, it gives racists hope and purpose, they feel, here is a party that takes them seriously, courts them.  If it doesn't deliver, they understand.  That's a problem they can work on.  But in the meantime they have a home.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »
It is partly just the culture the party leaders acquired. In Mississippi, for example, they attend Ole Miss. They go to the right fraternities. The fly their rebel flags. They marry an Ole Miss sorority girl from the right family. They attend a CCC meeting. It is the same network that ran the state when the Dixiecrats were there. It is the Southern aristocracy and the Republicans did a good job of coming in and taking it over when the Democrats "sold out" in the mid 60's to early 70's.

But it isn't so much about Democrat or Republican as conservatism. The Democrats in the South are sometimes as or more conservative than the Republicans. This was especially true of the Dixiecrats. So while we hear about: "Policies that treat everyone equally, fairly & colorless" - I've yet to see them in reality and I've lived in some very conservative dominated regions.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
Where is their nonwhite high office holders, judges & leaders.

Is their highest paid citizens black women - nope

The lady on the left is Her Excellency the Right Honorable Michaƫlle Jean, Governor General of Canada.

looks token to me got any more.

How about an equal to rice, thomas, powell, oh that's right the Democrat Part doesn't even qualify for those positions within their ranks. sad real sad.

Regardless of your personal opinion, your statement was false.

You'll find that the history of most of Britain's "white dominion" colonies are replete with racism and still battle these issues today. Yet, few reached the institutional level and longevity of the United States and South Africa.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 01:15:55 PM »
Failure to raise minimum wage for almost a decade.

How does that not target white workers?