Author Topic: Should teachers be allowed to wear anti-war t-shirts?  (Read 8949 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Should teachers be allowed to wear anti-war t-shirts?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »
I`m not sure they make it to 70

despite what people think pro-athlete are not healthy people
very few have intact bodies.
look at joe montana
during the last 3 years of his career he rarely played a full game
mohamed ali ain`t exactly fully functional

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 04:15:44 AM »
If I were teaching journalism, I'd emphasize the role of the reporter as a non-biased observer, recording the facts along the who, what, when, where, and how model that seems to have disappeared these days.  I would also emphasize the importance of checking sources, perhaps using the Dan Rather/CBS News incident regarding Bush's supposed draft evasion as an example.  If a student expressed a desire to become the next Woodward or Bernstein, they would learn the difference between reporting and investigative journalism.

And I would  point out how today's news stories cater to those who tend to skim headlines and the first few paragraphs, without reading an article in its entirety to learn facts which can certainly lead to a different viewpoint if they hadn't been skipped.  I liken this tactic to putting impulse items up by the cash registers at the grocery store.....you see something that catches your eye and you go for it - a tried-and-true gimmick that works quite well in this age where winning the info-dispensing race is more important than accuracy.  Unfortunately, people tend to remember what they heard or read first and believe it to be true, regardless of what comes after.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »
ahhh, if only we had more teachers like you'd be Miss De     :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle