Author Topic: Just like spoiled, snot nosed brat Bush to leave the mess for others to clean up  (Read 2342 times)

Mucho

NEWS | OPINIONS | SPORTS | ARTS & LIVING | Discussions | Photos & Video | City Guide | CLASSIFIEDS | JOBS | CARS | REAL ESTATE

White House Postponing Loss of Iraq, Biden Says
By Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 5, 2007; A06

Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said yesterday that he believes top officials in the Bush administration have privately concluded they have lost Iraq and are simply trying to postpone disaster so the next president will "be the guy landing helicopters inside the Green Zone, taking people off the roof," in a chaotic withdrawal reminiscent of Vietnam.

"I have reached the tentative conclusion that a significant portion of this administration, maybe even including the vice president, believes Iraq is lost," Biden said. "They have no answer to deal with how badly they have screwed it up. I am not being facetious now. Therefore, the best thing to do is keep it from totally collapsing on your watch and hand it off to the next guy -- literally, not figuratively."

Biden gave the comments in an interview as he outlined an ambitious agenda for the committee, including holding four weeks of hearings focused on every aspect of U.S. policy in Iraq. The hearings will call top political, economic and intelligence experts; foreign diplomats; and former and current senior U.S. officials to examine the situation in Iraq and possible plans for dealing with it. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will probably testify next Thursday to defend the president's new plan, but at least eight other plans will be examined over several sessions of the committee.

Other witnesses invited for at least 10 days of hearings include former national security advisers and secretaries of state, including Brent Scowcroft, Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Henry A. Kissinger, Madeleine K. Albright and George P. Shultz.

Biden expressed opposition to the president's plan for a "surge" of additional U.S. troops and said he has grave doubts about whether the Iraqi government has the will or the capacity to help implement a new approach. He said he hopes to use the hearings to "illuminate the alternatives available to this president" and to provide a platform for influencing Americans, especially Republican lawmakers.

"There is nothing a United States Senate can do to stop a president from conducting his war," Biden said. "The only thing that is going to change the president's mind, if he continues on a course that is counterproductive, is having his party walk away from his position."

Biden said that Vice President Cheney and former defense secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld "are really smart guys who made a very, very, very, very bad bet, and it blew up in their faces. Now, what do they do with it? I think they have concluded they can't fix it, so how do you keep it stitched together without it completely unraveling?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/04/AR2007010401525_pf.html

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looks to me like both parties are manoeuvering to blame each other for the coming train wreck and both are equally guilty.  The "President" and his party may well be delaying the debacle until it can land in someone else's lap, but what about the Democrats, who knowing full well what disaster lies ahead, continue to fund it, secure in the knowledge that the Republicans will be blamed for it. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
The "President" and his party may well be delaying the debacle until it can land in someone else's lap, but what about the Democrats, who knowing full well what disaster lies ahead, continue to fund it, secure in the knowledge that the Republicans will be blamed for it. 

Apparently the dems only intend to keep the campaign promises they meant to keep.

This and draining the swamp aren't among those.

Raising the minimum wage in increments is, even though supposedly there is no economic reason to do it in increments.

Mucho

The "President" and his party may well be delaying the debacle until it can land in someone else's lap, but what about the Democrats, who knowing full well what disaster lies ahead, continue to fund it, secure in the knowledge that the Republicans will be blamed for it. 

Apparently the dems only intend to keep the campaign promises they meant to keep.

This and draining the swamp aren't among those.

Raising the minimum wage in increments is, even though supposedly there is no economic reason to do it in increments.

The main swamp that needs draining is the Iraq War. Repubs will always be corrupt. The small shit can wait.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
The main swamp that needs draining is the Iraq War. Repubs will always be corrupt. The small shit can wait.

How much time will you give to the dems to end the war?

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:

I'm guessing they'll get serious in about a year. Elections will be coming up, it's not likely the war will get any more popular with the public, and the Democrats know full well what happened to the Republicans at the mid-terms. They'll let it sit on the Republicans doorstep and stink as long as they can. But I expect they know if they do nothing to stop it, the public will punish them at the polls just like they did to the Republicans.

Democracy is a slow and awkward process, but the public does get the matters it feels passionately about dealt with eventually.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
I'm guessing they'll get serious in about a year.

I'm suspecting you are right, but i also suspect they will obstruct any moves that may turn the pile of manure into a bed of roses.

Wonder if the public will pick up on that.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<ey'll let it sit on the Republicans doorstep and stink as long as they can. But I expect they know if they do nothing to stop it, the public will punish them at the polls just like they did to the Republicans.>>

Buying political advantage with the lives of their own soldiers?  Sweeet.

Ooops.  Forgot the quote button. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:08:19 AM by Michael Tee »

Mucho

I think the whole process will take about a year which is lightning fast for a democracy. Nearly every Dem and many Repub elected officials want it now. It was the Repubs going to Nixon that got him to step down and even though the Bushidiot is more stupid, he is even more cowardly yet.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
I'll go with Dicks analysis.

It is a pragmatic explanation to a callous calculation to use the deaths of US servicemen for political advantage. It elevates the ends, no matter the means, and takes the courage quotient out of the equation.

Your analysis is the same old pitiful excuse for cowardly inaction.

Mucho

I'll go with Dicks analysis.

It is a pragmatic explanation to a callous calculation to use the deaths of US servicemen for political advantage. It elevates the ends, no matter the means, and takes the courage quotient out of the equation.

Your analysis is the same old pitiful excuse for cowardly inaction.

Of course you would agree with that because it is the path that you and most RWers would take