Author Topic: New Rule?  (Read 564 times)

gipper

New Rule?
« on: September 16, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »
To save our busy lives from unnecessary crap reading, I suggest an amendment to the club rules requiring every article either posted (with link) or referred to by link alone to be summarized by the member presenting it for discussion. The original, of course, should always still be available at the end of the link. Let's think, folks, not parrot.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Rule?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 09:59:05 PM »
I sorta know where you're coming from on that, domer.  My own feeling is, the less rules the better.  Most of us will comment before re-posting an article, but sometimes anything more than a one-line description is superfluous. 

Say someone isn't too articulate but finds an article which he/she feels expresses his/her thoughts better than he/she ever could.  Why force that person through the embarrassment or pain of summarizing an article which actually speaks for itself, and will itself spark debate better than the summary ever could? 

That person made his or her contribution to the debate by finding and posting the article.  Why force him or her to go further if they're not comfortable with it, just to "prove" to the rest of us that they're not a parrot?  Hell, I'm willing to assume that anybody who participates in this forum in any way (even by merely reposting an article) is not a parrot.