Author Topic: Hubble  (Read 2143 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

The_Professor

Re: Hubble
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:09:07 AM »
I concur. I was very unhappy when they earlier decided to not fix it. I am glad they have had a change of mind on this issue. The results of the Hubble have been nothing short of awe-inspiring. The next step would be to place a 200-inch mirror similar to
Polomar in orbit (or the equivalent).

Plane & Ami, did you notice that some B5 vignettes are coming out? B5 and Firefly are obviously the best scifi ever see on TV (yeah, I know you like Dr. Who but no one is perfect). see http://www.jmsnews.com/, http://www.awit.com/tsBabylon5.htm?s=1, andhttp://www.cafepress.com/thejoestore.50458533,

:D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:34:36 AM by The_Professor »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 03:08:45 AM »
The New Dr Who is being done with modern and well done speciall effects.

The older Dr. Who was prone to wrap a guy in tinfoil and bubble wrap to play an alien.

The concept was always the thing , Dr. Who has the ability to visit all places and all times so the experiments of thought were unlimited.

Star Treck ,B5, Star Wars and etc have a very strong special effects standard , which I really like .

But Dr. Who seems to have lost something in the gaining of a special effects budget.

The old Dr.s fought their limitations in costume and spetacular effects by being imaginitive and convinceing in dialog and concept.

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 10:35:54 AM »
sounds like a script problem...all the cool special effects in the world won't hide a poor script.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:38:18 AM »
sounds like a script problem...all the cool special effects in the world won't hide a poor script.

Actually, the scripts are just as campy now as they were then. I think the perception has changed - with better special effects, the scripts should have gotten better.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 04:08:20 AM »
The old Dr. Who had the charm of being better than its budget .

The_Professor

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »
Maybe it doesn't translate well into our society? I know, I simply do not "get" some of the British comedies. My wife likes Mr. Bean and she thinks he is hilarious. When I watch him, he seems stupid and not all that funny. But, I will laugh all day long at the Three Stooges while she doesn't. ???

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »
Mr Bean is terriffic.

It is a matter of tase , I suppose somewhat influenced by culture.