Author Topic: Man fights to keep wife buried in yard  (Read 785 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Man fights to keep wife buried in yard
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »

An Alabama man is fighting city officials to keep his wife buried in his front yard.

James Davis told The Associated Press he only buried his wife in front of their log home in Stevenson, Ala., because she asked him to when she died in 2009.

The city sued to move the body elsewhere, citing a need to avoid setting a precedent, and a county judge has ordered Davis to disinter his wife.
Quick Clicks

However, that order is on hold as the Alabama Civil Court of Appeals considers his challenge to the ruling.

Davis, 73, told the AP he's shocked by the fight.

"Good Lord, they've raised pigs in their yard, there's horses out the road here in a corral in the city limits, they've got other gravesites here all over the place," he said. "And there shouldn't have been a problem."

City Attorney Parker Edmiston reminded critics that Davis lives in downtown Stevenson, not out in the country.

"We're not in the 1800s any longer," he told the AP. "We're not talking about a homestead, we're not talking about someone who is out in the country on 40 acres of land.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Man-fights-to-keep-wife-buried-in-yard/-/1637132/16194456/-/14t5gjs/-/index.html

From a Comment:
 Creldarix • 17 hours ago • parent

I feel exactly the same way. When did we become renters instead of land owners? "Pay your taxes and follow our rules or we will show you that it isn't YOUR land at all, but OUR land." That's the motto from governing bodies nationwide, from your local HOA to the US government in Washington. All of our labors are only to serve how they want us to live. It's MY land.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Man fights to keep wife buried in yard
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
It would not bother me if my neighbor buried a family neighbor in the yard.

I buried four cats, two hamsters, four bunnies and a possum in my yard before I heard it was illegal...and two after I heard this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."