Author Topic: Darren Wilson and how he screwed up and brought about the Ferguson riots  (Read 1374 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Darren Wilson and how he screwed up and brought about the Ferguson riots
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/08/us/ferguson-brown-timeline/

I don't think Mr. Kennerly has caught the gist of either scenario.

Do you think that the Policeman grabbed the Jaywalker and hauled him into his own front seat?

Do you think that the Young man assaulted the officer knocking him back into his car ?

To me one sounds a lot more likely than the other.

Mr Kennerly seems basically to be saying that the Policeman should have kept control of the situation, which is true indeed , but this would be true for every officer who has been killed or injured on duty.

It does pay to be prepared and alert, it doesn't pay to demand perfection retroactively.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »
All the guy had to do was press that accelerator pedal for ten yards or so. That pretty much changes the entire scenario.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »
Was the car cranked?

Was he sitting at the controls?

Is it nicer to be squished under the wheels of a patrol car than it is to be shot?

I don't like this suggestion, and once there were two hands on the pistol there was not much else to focus on.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
The cop is in an SUV, which is several inches higher than the usual Crown Vic patrol car. Brown is reaching through the window. The moment to hit that accelerator was just as soon as Brown started to reach through the window. The window was a power window and could be raised by a button, also. Driving the car away would have forced Brown to let yo or be dragged down the street.
He might have sprained something, but he would not have been under the wheels.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »
Putting aside the monday morning quaterbacking, how do you know he wouldn't have been run over??  You have no frellin clue what Brown would have done, under those circumstances.  That would have been worse, being run over, even dragged to his death.  Gads, I can see the headlines now..."White cop drags poor black youth with his SUV"     :o
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 11:56:50 PM »
The cop is in an SUV, which is several inches higher than the usual Crown Vic patrol car. Brown is reaching through the window. The moment to hit that accelerator was just as soon as Brown started to reach through the window. The window was a power window and could be raised by a button, also. Driving the car away would have forced Brown to let yo or be dragged down the street.
He might have sprained something, but he would not have been under the wheels.

I don't think you have the timeline right .

The car must have been parked and the door open, because Wilson was trying to get out.

Reaching in the window would not have worked .

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ayUYvTrVg

NBA legend Charles Barkley sounded off on the crisis in Ferguson by lashing out against "scumbags" who have rioted in the days after a grand jury chose not to indict police officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of black teenager Michael Brown.

Speaking on Philadelphia sports radio station 97.5 The Fanatic last week, Barkley spoke in favor of the grand jury's decision while ripping looters for destroying their own neighborhood under the guise of racial protest.

"Those aren't black people, those are scumbags," the NBA Hall of Famer and TNT basketball analyst said of rioters, who targeted mostly minority-owned businesses.

"There is no excuse for people to be out there burning down people's businesses, burning down police cars."

Barkley also said that authorities got it right by not prosecuting Wilson, who shot 18-year-old Brown six times on Aug. 9 in a controversial incident that sparked nationwide protests while pushing Ferguson to the forefront of the country's racial divide.

"The true story came out from the grand jury testimony," Barkely said, adding that "three or four witnesses, who were black, said exactly what the cop [WILSON] said."

Much of the misinformation surrounding the case, according to Barkley, is due to the press.

"[THE MEDIA]love this stuff, and lead people to jump to conclusions. The media shouldn't do that. They never do that when black people kill each other. "

Well known for his controversial positions on race, Barkley called on the black community to stop automatically seeing police as the enemy.

"We have to be really careful with the cops, because if it wasn't for the cops we would be living in the Wild, Wild West in our neighborhoods," he said. "We can't pick out certain incidentals that don't go our way and act like the cops are all bad.... Do you know how bad some of these neighborhoods would be if it wasn't for the cops"?

Barkley's comments come in sharp contrast to other high-profile athletes who have given their take on the case - most recently members of the St. Louis Rams, who took the field prior to Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders by using the ?Hands up, don?t shoot? gesture adopted by protestors in Ferguson.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
There is no justification for looting and burning. I don't think there are many people running around saying that there is any.

I do not understand why the opinion of any jock is any more valid than anyone else's. Being able to do prodigious things with a ball does not make anyone an expert in sociological trends or criminal justice, or any field related to this issue.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »
I do not understand why the opinion of any jock is any more valid than anyone else's.

Who said that?
SIRS strawman alert!
Wisdom is wisdom no matter who states it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »
I do not understand why the opinion of any jock is any more valid than anyone else's.

Who said that?
SIRS strawman alert!
Wisdom is wisdom no matter who states it.

Yes, well said.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
Agreed
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
I agree with what Barkely said, but I do not think that it is more true because a famous ex-jock said it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
I agree with what Barkely said, but I do not think that it is more true because a famous ex-jock said it.

Good point , wisdom is not wiser nor foolishness less foolish for the value of the celebrity that says it.

But the celebrities are louder , so we wind up hearing them .