Author Topic: Home health workers not entitled to overtime  (Read 2168 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Home health workers not entitled to overtime
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »
They are free to seek work elsewhere. If enough of them do so, market pressure will drive up the pay rate for the remaining workers.

Or they could start doing a far poorer job, or form a professional association. Sometimes low pay leads to behavior expected of that pay rate.

Funny, in how their work now compared to their brethern that work in the hospital demonstrates the pay difference, consisent with what's already expected of them.  Apparently another who doesn't grasp the difference between an aide working in a home health setting vs that who works in a hopital.  Pity
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
The reason home health aides are valuable is that they allow people to live in their own homes, rather than nursing homes. This is VALUABLE.  This is worth a portion of the several thousand it costs a month to house and care for someone in a nursing home.

They may be less trained than a hospital aide, but not less trained than a nursing home aide. I know, because I've applied for a job in the past at a home care agency. They all wanted a certified aide, and a year of experience in either a hospital or a nursing home.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 12:45:29 PM »
The reason home health aides are valuable is that they allow people to live in their own homes, rather than nursing homes. This is VALUABLE.  This is worth a portion of the several thousand it costs a month to house and care for someone in a nursing home.

I NEVER SAID they weren't valuable Lanya.  I said in comparison to the job their counterparts perform in the hospital, it isn't nearly as demanding.  Yes, Home Health Agencies want CHHA's (certified Home Health Aides), but that doesn't make my point any less, nor is it even close to the 24/7 care one would receive in a Nursing home, vs CHHA's who ususally only go out to pt's homes 3x/wk, for an hour or 2.  PLEASE try to be more honest

::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 03:36:43 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle