Author Topic: Rotator cuff help needed  (Read 2017 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rotator cuff help needed
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:43:45 AM »
Sirs, if you have the time, I need some exercises for rotator cuff pain. This is a very old injury that I had great success curing with exercises  that i got from a physical therapist, the exercises where you tie a huge rubber band to a door and do various reps.  I don't have insurance now and would appreciate any pointers you could give me.  It has been about 10 years and don't know why it's hurting again, and on the opposite arm too. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Rotator cuff help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:57:03 AM »
1st things's 1st....when did it start hurting, and how bad, on a scale of 1-10 is it hurting now?

If it's recently flared up, avoid those "rubber band" exercises for the moment (Called thera-band).  Use ice compresses periodically to keep pain and swelling down.  (You can buy a bag of frozen peas in the market, and just keep reusing that as an ice bag, by refreezing it.  Peas work well because you can mold the bag around the area of pain.  and a $2 bag of peas are alot cheaper than a $20 ice pack, and just as good. 

If it's been chronic for a while (several weeks) you can get away with doing more active exercises, though I'd still be hesitant to put you on thera-band exercises, without doing a more thorough assessment.  A couple of easy-enough exercises would be to take a can of soup, put the soup in the hand of the bad shoulder, lie on your side (good side) and keep your bad shoulder and elbow against your side, while you have your elbow bent to 90degrees.  Now, allow the can to touch the bed (or floor, or mat, or couch, whatever you're laying on), but keep your elbow bent and against your side.  Now just raise the can up, still keeping your elbow against your side (don't lift your elbow off, as that starts turning on muscles you don't want to turn on).  This is external rotation of your bad shoulder. 

It can also be done with the theraband, where you attach one end to a door knob, and you hold the other end while standing.  Same position, elbow bent, and against your side.  Keeping it there, you can now pull the theraband back.

Another good one is Pendulums (or Codman's exercises).  Easy on the arm, and can be a good stress reliever.  You basically stand up, and lean over, using your good arm on something like a chair or table to support your leaning forward.  Allow your bad arm to simply hang.  You can keep holding on to the can of soup, if you wish.  Now, using gravity and physics only (this is the hard part), shift your body/hips in a small circle that will cause your arm to swing in a circle.  Meaning, allow gravity to move and distract your arm, not your shoulder muscles.  think of your arm as a wet noodle, and your just using your body to make it go in circles.  Try as best you can NOT to simply stand still and move your shoulder in a circle.  Then you're defeating the purpose of the exercse

Here's a link to where I came across those pictures you see above, with more exercises, and more concise instructions.  But again I can't emphasize enough, don't just start doing any resistance exercises (such as theraband), if the pain is pretty acute, (within the last 48hours), even if it's a chronic condition, as you seem to indicate.  That can aggravate the shoulder much more.  Calm it down, if it's in an acute flare up.  If greater than 48hours, then you can do some of those gentle active exercises, and gradually move into the theraband stuff
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 03:15:58 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:06:59 AM »
My God! Coherence and good sense!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 03:13:11 AM »
I've been getting Ulnar Neuropathy .

Makes me hit the keys too lightly .

Splling alred poor sufers the efect.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 03:18:48 AM »

I have my moments, as few and as far between as they may be
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 03:20:01 AM »

Recognised !

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »
Bless you Sirs, and thank you so much.
It started  about 2 or 3  weeks ago.

Scale of 1-10, maybe a 4 or 5 when it hurts. Doesn't always.

OK, I know what to work on.  After this, I'll have to get in shape before something else gives out!

I remember the rubber band exercises seemed to melt the pain away like magic.  The muscle felt warm and no pain at all.  Thanks again!
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »
Bless you Sirs, and thank you so much.  It started  about 2 or 3  weeks ago.  Scale of 1-10, maybe a 4 or 5 when it hurts. Doesn't always.  OK, I know what to work on.  After this, I'll have to get in shape before something else gives out!  I remember the rubber band exercises seemed to melt the pain away like magic.  The muscle felt warm and no pain at all.  Thanks again!

You're welcome Lanya.  2-3wks huh?, ok, then it's ok to start some gentle thera-band exercises, as noted in the link provided.  I'd still ice it down 12-15min after any work out, to keep pain and swelling in check