Author Topic: pretty bad  (Read 1880 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
pretty bad
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/03/MN1514DSB4.DTL

it is true her death is not work-related,but it looks so bad to denied the money.
but shouldn`t the killer be the one paying for this?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: pretty bad
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »
She was working and someone came in and stabbed her. It's work-related.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:43:52 PM »
it is true her death is not work-related,but it looks so bad to denied the money.
but shouldn`t the killer be the one paying for this?

The problem is that murderers do not generally have the money to pay their victims.

If she had been White, would they have made the same defense? If so, they should pay her. It was not a personal matter and it was not a matter that she could have avoided. She was there because it was her job.

This will go to trial, and there will be a settlement, or it will be appealed until the Supreme Court agrees or disagrees. If it wasn't personal, then it was work-related. Her race should make no difference in whether she is paid or not. Family Dollar knows that there are racist nuts around, and that eventually one of them will be a danger to their employees, so they should insure against this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:47:04 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:07:33 PM »
so any death on a job site would be considered work related death?

I ask because my job duties has added that in a fire a guard is needed to stay behind to make sure nobody steals a painting but no instruction has been given how long that guard has to stay behind.
I`m betting the city will use the defense it`s a voluntary death if the guard stays too long and dies.
I`ve ask many times what are the policies and I never get an answer when the guard should leave.
giving the impression it`s the guards responsibility when to go.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:07:55 PM »
If she had not been at work , she might not have been in the public.

Whatever risk that is in being availible to the public is a part of the job in a retail store.

Perhaps this is a rather small risk , only a small part of the public has a terribly dangerous attitude like this guy , but this small percentage of risk translates to a complete catastrophie for an individual now and then.

I don't agree that the risk of attack is equal in the retail store even if the motive was not directly related to the store.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »
so any death on a job site would be considered work related death?

I ask because my job duties has added that in a fire a guard is needed to stay behind to make sure nobody steals a painting but no instruction has been given how long that guard has to stay behind.
I`m betting the city will use the defense it`s a voluntary death if the guard stays too long and dies.
I`ve ask many times what are the policies and I never get an answer when the guard should leave.
giving the impression it`s the guards responsibility when to go.

It is better for the art to be destroyed than stolen?

If I were standing in the Lovere and saw a fire break out , should I run away from the Mona Lisa or try to get it out??

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
I never  said the people in charge are clear thinkers, just that they are in charge.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »
I never  said the people in charge are clear thinkers, just that they are in charge.

Are they worried that a fire could be set to produce an oppurtunity for robbery?

If thet happened the gurads standing around in the smoke would confrount robbers.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:51 PM »
 not just fire but any alarm that causes a evacuation. probly thinking it`s a way for some patron stay behind and take a painting.
so it`s probly worthing risking a guard to stop it.
since the city budget is set up so money from lawsuits is taken from general funds so no money is lost from the museum budget .
it works very well for our bus system ,we have the highest deathrate in the country and none of it has effected the transit budget.
but strangely the city itself has a very large budget crisis

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
not just fire but any alarm that causes a evacuation. probly thinking it`s a way for some patron stay behind and take a painting.
since the city budget is set up so money from lawsuits is taken from general funds so no money is lost from the museum budget .
it works very well for our bus system ,we have the highest deathrate in the country and none of it has effected the transit budget.

How much can the art be put under glass?

The Constitution is in an airtight case full of inert gas , stealing it would require a lot of equipment.

If an important painting were on a colapseable rack it could be slid down into a steel box attached to  the floor with a lid that would latch , this could happen automaticly with the activation of the alarm. Even a moderately valuable artwork ought to be attached to something hard to lift.

I remember the theft of "The Scream" simple snatch and grab while the guards are looking away, the damaged paintings are back but they may not be restored fully. Poor secureity might draw and encourage a theif , produceing a dangerous situation.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/story/2006/12/21/munch-scream.html

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »
very few of our painting are in glass we`re one of the few museum that has open exhibits.
it`s quite hard to steal our painting .it`s not like somebody can tuck under thier shirt.
which they can(canvas) but it`ll be damaged.
in a evacuation it`s doable but still very touch to sneak out.
the museum has no unattended exit.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »

My friend Bob who used to post here (he is part of that massive flotilla off the coast of iran) (can't remember his moniker) laways says that deterrance is achieved with a display of overwhelming force, i nthis case so much security that a thief wouldnt even seriously contemplate a theft.

The Constitution is in an airtight case full of inert gas , stealing it would require a lot of equipment.

If an important painting were on a colapseable rack it could be slid down into a steel box attached to  the floor with a lid that would latch , this could happen automaticly with the activation of the alarm. Even a moderately valuable artwork ought to be attached to something hard to lift.

I remember the theft of "The Scream" simple snatch and grab while the guards are looking away, the damaged paintings are back but they may not be restored fully. Poor secureity might draw and encourage a theif , produceing a dangerous situation.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »

My friend Bob who used to post here (he is part of that massive flotilla off the coast of iran) (can't remember his moniker) laways says that deterrance is achieved with a display of overwhelming force, i nthis case so much security that a thief wouldnt even seriously contemplate a theft.

I suppose that the cost of the security must be weighed against the potential cost of the theft.

Truth is that most people are honest and most of the dishonest are not interested in trying to fence a famously purloined painting.

Tell Bob that he is missed , we always appreaciate a good example and a upward bump in our advradge intelligence.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »

=========================
I don't think anyone with a brain would try to steal the Constitution for money. The protection is symbolic, as is the original document.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."