Author Topic: Proof positive that the USMC wreaks with criminals  (Read 15667 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Proof positive that the USMC wreaks with criminals
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »
Would you turn in a close freind and /or collegue for a trivial infraction of regulations?

Would you turn in a close freind and /or collegue for a moderate infraction of law?

Would you turn in a close freind and /or collegue for a serious infraction of law?

Would you turn in a close freind and /or collegue for a capital crime?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those are all good questions.  The only ones that apply to war are would you turn someone in for torture or murder?

It's kind of a trick question - - puts the burden of enforcing (as opposed to observing) the Geneva Conventions on the soldier in the field, when it belongs on his officers.  It converts what should be a question of pure military discipline into a question of loyalty to buddies.

Another problem I have with the question is that it equates opposition to torture and murder with breaking a bond of brotherhood forged in common service and ultimately in combat.  It relies upon the revulsion we all feel for the snitch and the betrayer.  And it uses that revulsion to indirectly justify the commission of atrocities by U.S. troops.  It identifies the atrocities with reluctance to betray rather than with failure to discipline.

Speaking for myself, I could see a great reluctance to inform on my buddies.  Whatever they did, my informing would be a rat-like and tainted act.   The way to take care of the problem would be to just shoot the guy on the spot.  Nothing underhanded and nothing cowardly about it - - the guy's got the K-Bar out and is about to start torturing his prisoner, it's just barrel to the back of his head and blow his fucking brains out.  Just what he deserves, no more, no less.

As an officer of course it would be my responsibility to see that such a scene never happened.  Men would be told in no uncertain terms how to treat their prisoners and how not to treat them.  Violators would be treated in a way that would strongly discourage anyone from following their example.  There would be no complicating factors of brotherhood or bonding.  That's why the easiest way to enforce the Geneva Conventions is through discipline, not by leaving it to the men, for each guy to be his buddy's policeman.  THAT way is bound to fail.

"As an officer of course it would be my responsibility to see that such a scene never happened.  Men would be told in no uncertain terms how to treat their prisoners and how not to treat them. "

I can tell you from personal experience that every USMC junior officier is trained in this manner in no uncertain terms. In officer training school. It is also reinforced on a regular basis.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:19:29 AM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
<<I can tell from personal experience that every USMC junior officier is trained in this manner in no uncertain terms. In officer training school. It is also reinforced on a regular basis.>>

Officer training is good and it's definitely part of the package, but it's not the whole package. 

In fact, that the torture occurs despite the officer training indicates that crucial measures are not in place.  The officers have to know - - from one or two salutary examples - - that they will be held personally responsible and punished draconically for breaches by their men.  Only when their own ass is on the line will they find the motivation to zealously root out and punish even hints of prisoner abuse.  Grunts who joke about it will have privileges revoked.  Guys caught in the act must be shot in the field.  Failure to take extreme measures will result in penalties ranging from 20 years' hard labour to death.  Obviously training needs to be supplemented by discipline, otherwise both the officers and the men will just laugh at the "candy-assed" REMFS who tell them to make nice with the enemy.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
<<I can tell from personal experience that every USMC junior officier is trained in this manner in no uncertain terms. In officer training school. It is also reinforced on a regular basis.>>

Officer training is good and it's definitely part of the package, but it's not the whole package. 

In fact, that the torture occurs despite the officer training indicates that crucial measures are not in place.  The officers have to know - - from one or two salutary examples - - that they will be held personally responsible and punished draconically for breaches by their men.  Only when their own ass is on the line will they find the motivation to zealously root out and punish even hints of prisoner abuse.  Grunts who joke about it will have privileges revoked.  Guys caught in the act must be shot in the field.  Failure to take extreme measures will result in penalties ranging from 20 years' hard labour to death.  Obviously training needs to be supplemented by discipline, otherwise both the officers and the men will just laugh at the "candy-assed" REMFS who tell them to make nice with the enemy.

Are these measures for Americans only?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »
If the severe sentences were meted out to the higher up officers, you bet this would stop.
"Sh** rolls downhill" is something military people learn quite early, do they not?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
<<Are these measures for Americans only?>>

I think they're universal.  I spend so much time here trying to convince Americans that they're no better than anyone else that I probably sound at times like I think that they're much worse than everybody else.  Those principles should work in any army.  Why do you ask, though - - do you know of any other national army that is committing atrocities on anywhere near the same level as the U.S. Army?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »
Tee:  <<If you want to point out one specific instance of a MSM article favourable to my POV that I defended in the face of obvious falsity, have at it - - where?  when?>>

Ami:  <<CBS memos>>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I defended false CBS memos?  after the falsity was exposed or became obvious?  Gee, with your superior memory, you probably will have no problem in answering the "where?" and "when?" parts of my question.   Or even just identifying the  issue on which I defended false memos after their falsity became obvious. 

Inquiring minds want to know.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »
I defended false CBS memos?  after the falsity was exposed or became obvious?  Gee, with your superior memory, you probably will have no problem in answering the "where?" and "when?" parts of my question.   Or even just identifying the  issue on which I defended false memos after their falsity became obvious. 

Inquiring minds want to know.

I seem to remember you being on "the memos might be false, but their contents was true" side of the fence.

Can't go back and look up your actual posts on the matter, since that was a different forum.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »
I defended false CBS memos?  after the falsity was exposed or became obvious? ....Or even just identifying the issue on which I defended false memos after their falsity became obvious. 

I seem to remember you being on "the memos might be false, but their contents was true" side of the fence.

Ahhh, the Dan Rather contingent.  Yea, that does seem plausible, given the source of the discussion.  Let's see how he wiggles out of that one

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »
From what I am told by combat veterans, unit cohesion -- the cameraderie among grunts -- is the only thing that has both the intensity and durability to make it through a long campaign (series of engagements) in a war zone in an ugly conflict. Command allegiance (the showcase trait for a cluster of institutional factors ranging all the way up to a mission imperative, a pride in unit, patriotism, and God-related conceptions) is the natural counterbalance for too much cohesion (which, ironically, is one of the hallmarks of an effective combat unit) so that tasks can be assigned, performed, coordinated and accomplished according to a (perhaps constantly revised) "master plan." In the reality that is war, however, it is simple, probably irreducible human nature when faced with mortal danger, kill or be killed, that your allegiances flow most passionately to those who are like you (in origin, destination of return, common training, communal experiences) and upon whom you rely mutually for your very life. This bond, welded firm on the anvil of war, becomes all that matters, to hear vets tell it, for the explosion of combat but also for the period of recuperation, re-preparation, re-engagement etc. as the cycle repeats. A reluctance to report wrongdoing should be expected to increase in such an environment. Regarding that phenomenon, however, both the severity of transgression and the clarity (vs. confusion) of the episode must be factored in to arrive at an accurate gauge of the breakdown of command allegiance, which, incidentally, is the only counterbalance to an "exaggerated" (combat-induced) cohesion-among-men, a sine qua non with it for a military force effective in all regards.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2007, 05:36:44 PM »
<<Ahhh, the Dan Rather contingent.  Yea, that does seem plausible, given the source of the discussion.  Let's see how he wiggles out of that one>>

The memos regarding Bush's non-service in the Air National Guard?  I don't have to wriggle out of anything, I didn't say the memos were true when they came out and I didn't support them after they were exposed as fakes.

The whole thing was a non-issue because Bush's entire service in the National Guard, such as it was, was expressly designed to keep him out of the war in Viet Nam.  As Colin Powell stated in his own book it was a refuge for rich white boys to avoid combat.  Whether he actually showed up for his stateside duties or fucked off and got drunk and/or laid instead is a side issue designed to distract from the fact that by his very enrolment in the outfit, he was dodging battle and risk.

This is easier than shooting fish in a barrel.  Any more pointless stupid examples proving absolutely nothing?  I'm sure you've got a million of them.

Oh, and BTW, "The memos might be false but their contents are true" is pretty much the same argument I got from sirs on the fake yellowcake purchase letters, the documents were fake but the facts were true.  Only THAT was a case of pure bullshit with no true facts.  Bush being Bush, I am sure - - and the gaps in his records indicate as well - - that he was in fact away from his posting for certain periods of time.  Bush isn't stupid - - there's a reason why he refuses to give his permission to the DOD to open his military records to public scrutiny.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 05:51:05 PM by Michael Tee »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »
Oh, and BTW, "The memos might be false but their contents are true" is pretty much the same argument I got from sirs on the fake yellowcake purchase letters, the documents were fake but the facts were true.  Only THAT was a case of pure bullshit with no true facts.

What the frell are you smoking Tee?  When did I EVER talk about "purchase letters"?  What I ALWAYS spoke about was the FACT that Saddam apparently DID try to purcahse Yellow Cake, but never aquired it, per the BRITISH intel, AND ironically, Wilson.  More of that puposeful misrepresentation that's become the hallmark of those infliced with BDS.  Or do you have some facts to refute what the British intel concluded?

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2007, 12:37:02 AM »
I think the verb Knute was looking for is "reeks." "Wreaks" reminds me of "wreaths" and thus I dub it "a decoration placed on a soldier or Marine for heroism."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »
<<What the frell are you smoking Tee?  When did I EVER talk about "purchase letters"?  What I ALWAYS spoke about was the FACT that Saddam apparently DID try to purcahse Yellow Cake, but never aquired it, per the BRITISH intel, AND ironically, Wilson.  More of that puposeful misrepresentation that's become the hallmark of those infliced with BDS.  Or do you have some facts to refute what the British intel concluded?>>

I don't smoke anything, sirs.  It's a wasteful and unhealthy habit. 

Whether or not you actually talked about "purchase letters" is beside the point.  The point was made in the thread that Bush relied on fake documents (which, as it happens, were forged purchase letters, whether you knew it or not) and YOUR response to that was that in fact Saddam DID try to buy yellowcake.  In other words, regardless of the falsification of the documentary proof, the fact that the faked document would have established was nevertheless true.

Which is more or less the identical argument that Ami is accusing me of making here - - even if the CBS memos were fake, Bush was still guilty in fact of what the fake memos were trying to prove.

And BTW, sirs, I don't think you or I will ever know what British intel concluded.  The most you could ever hope to know is what British intel told others about their conclusions.  British intel works for the government of Great Britain, which has its own interests and its own agenda.  It does not work for the Bush administration and it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they, like others, will from time to time find it advantageous to mislead or dupe the Bush administration into acting in ways that are seen as beneficial to Her Majesty's government. 

George Bush had his OWN intelligence services, whose job was to collect intelligence, inform the "President" and keep it all as neutral as they could.  Part of their job was to glean information from other intelligence agencies, evaluate it and pass it on as evaluated.  George Bush's job as chief executive of the U.S.A. was (1) to stay out of the intelligence gathering process and not direct them towards the conclusions that he needed to put certain preconceived policies into practice and (2) to ask questions, evaluate and determine the validity of the intelligence he was getting.  In his arrogance, he failed at both: not only did he direct the intelligence-gathering and evalutating process, but because he was instrumental in producing the result that he wanted, he did not need to ask questions or determine its validity - - he KNEW it was all a crock because it was he himself, and his cronies, who had MADE it a crock.  Who had TOLD the people doing the work to cook the books.

The other thing you seem to forget is the principle of executive responsibility - - IF the intel had been merely "bad intel" as you seem to still believe (rather than cooked intel, as it actually was) then the responsibility for the bad intel lies with the head of the agency (whom Bush decorated with the Medal of Freedom)  and further up with the Chief Executive who picked the man for the office and continued him in office.   That's what Harry Truman meant when he said "The buck stops here."  BUSH is ultimately responsible for the alleged failure of intelligence (if that were what it really was, which it's not) and - - the failure having cost thousands of U.S. lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives and hundreds of billions of U.S. dollars) - - Bush should either resign in disgrace or be impeached for the high crime and misdemeanour of starting a war of aggression against an unoffending state, in flagrant violation of the Charter of the United Nations.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
<<What the frell are you smoking Tee?  When did I EVER talk about "purchase letters"?  What I ALWAYS spoke about was the FACT that Saddam apparently DID try to purcahse Yellow Cake, but never aquired it, per the BRITISH intel, AND ironically, Wilson.  More of that puposeful misrepresentation that's become the hallmark of those infliced with BDS.  Or do you have some facts to refute what the British intel concluded?>>

Whether or not you actually talked about "purchase letters" is beside the point.  

Actually, it's precisely the point, since that's the accusation you made, but now that your misrepresentation has been highlighted for all to see, you've got to redirect the accusation in another direction

The point was made in the thread that Bush relied on fake documents (which, as it happens, were forged purchase letters, whether you knew it or not) and YOUR response to that was that in fact Saddam DID try to buy yellowcake.  In other words, regardless of the falsification of the documentary proof, the fact that the faked document would have established was nevertheless true.

No, the point I made is that the conclusions made by Bush were corroborated by the British intel.  I'm still waiting to see the evidence that debunks the Brits.  You planning on showing it anytime soon??

Which is more or less the identical argument that Ami is accusing me of making here - - even if the CBS memos were fake, Bush was still guilty in fact of what the fake memos were trying to prove.

Not even in the same ballpark, unless you can demonstrate memos and evidentiary conclusions made by an outside source that corroborates the "fake memos".  You planning on doing that anytime soon either?  Didn't think so

And BTW, sirs, I don't think you or I will ever know what British intel concluded.  

Actually, we were given that info, and it did conclude that Saddam did inquire as to trying to purchase yellowcake.

The most you could ever hope to know is what British intel told others about their conclusions.  British intel works for the government of Great Britain, which has its own interests and its own agenda.  It does not work for the Bush administration and it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they, like others, will from time to time find it advantageous to mislead or dupe the Bush administration into acting in ways that are seen as beneficial to Her Majesty's government.  

Ahhhh, so now Tee is hypothesizing that the Bristish actually consluded something different, and simply trying to dupe Bush & Co, into believing something else.  All without 1 shred of proof, and in this case, lacking even a shred of logic. Just that it helps support his POV.....which again demonstrates how pourous in common sense, logic, and FACTS Tee's position is on this, as so many other positions.   But you keep playing in that fantasy world, and ignore any & everything that continues to debunk accusation after accusation on your part, yet pull out completely illogcal & non-proven claims.  It's good to stay consistent.
      ::)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2007, 12:45:57 PM »
In the case of CBS using a forged document ...

It seems that they would have used a genuine document if there was such a thing.

What was the motive of the forger?

In the case of the claim that the Saddam regime had attempted to purchase yellow cake from Niger...

There are several documents involved including some now known to be forged , what was the motive of the forger?

Dan Rather seems to have been genuinely taken in by the forged documents that "proved" that President Bush was a shirk, perhaps he can be excused by this mitigation.

At that time when President Bush was presented with the evidence of Saddam's attempts to rebuild his WMD program which was so robust before 91 why should he have been skeptical?

These two cases are diffrent in size and in consequence , but there do seem to be some interesting parallel themes.