Author Topic: The value of suffering  (Read 22464 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The value of suffering
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »
You can't buy it WITHOUT A DR'S PRESCRIPTION.  Big Pharma has ZERO control over that.  As I said, your beef is with Big DOCTOR, not Big Pharma
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2016, 11:55:26 AM »
Not really happy with this answer but it seems big pharma pushed for oxy to be used for a much wider range of illness to increase sales.
http://theweek.com/articles/541564/how-american-opiate-epidemic-started-by-pharmaceutical-company

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »
yet even if that were 100% accurate, Big Pharma can still not force ANY Doctor to write a prescription for ANY drug, including Oxy.  If a Doctor is going to act so ignorant and reckless, to not grasp both the indications, and more importantly, the contraindications of a drug, that THEY are prescribing, puts any issue of its overuse or over-prescribing, squarely on them

The only way Big Pharma has some nefarious bone, is if they are intentionally misleading Dr's as to the efficacy of a drug, like Oxy.  Can THAT be demonstrated?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
   So let me make this point .

Mother Theresa did not cause any of this pain.

And did not force anyone to use her facility.

Her choices for use of painkillers don't sound like I would agree with them, but I also don't agree with everything we are doing here in the US with these things.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »

The only way Big Pharma has some nefarious bone, is if they are intentionally misleading Dr's as to the efficacy of a drug, like Oxy.  Can THAT be demonstrated?

Change of vector if you don't mind....

Are Doctors getting pressured to prescribe wrongly?

From suppliers who give samples and gifts?

From patients who are responding to advertisement?

From patients who wheedle for their favorite drug?

From Government , which threatens dire consequence for certain kinds of mistake?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
The Doctors can be pressured in 2 ways......1) pressure by way of ignorance, as in poorly educated or poorly keeping up with the latest research on medications that they may frequently be prescribing or 2) pressure by way of greed, largely moving aside their hypocratic oath, to fatten their pockets at the risk of more harm to their patients.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
I previously indicated that U.S. Medicine is very bad at treating pain. Of you think about it opiate are pretty much the only choice. Because telling the patient take it like a man and drink more whisky is not gonna happen. What else can they do . Im still surprised it's bern prescribed at such a amount since Im akways in pain and never ever gotten oxy and got drug addict friend most never tried it. Must be a regional thing.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
To be bluntly honest Kimba, I can't vouch for "treating pain" so much, but we are awash in various means of pain management, especially from the pill side of things.  And opitates are but one option, albeit probably the strongest option.  An educated Doctor will 1st start with all the various lesser pain medications, including NSAIDS (non-steroid forms).  The number of pain management options are enormous, so not only are opiates not really the "only choice", they are but one of hundreds of choices.  But as I said, they are probably the strongest, which is why a Doctor should use his best educated judgement in deciding what, and how much to prescribe a pateint with pain, especially chronic pain.

The issue again here is the Doctor.  Nothing can be prescribed without his authorization.  Big Pharma has no control over that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
Big Pharma bankets the doctors of this country with ads and promotions. That is why more are some in this country than in any other by a huge margin.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
Because Doctors, who have spent years being educated, to literally have the ability to save lives on a daily basis, can't manage to control themselves around advertisments.  But you can, of course      ::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2016, 08:22:39 PM »
There is a reason why American doctors are prescribing these addictive drugs while doctors in other countries are not. I suggest  that it is NOT a wise decision and that the logical place to seek an answer is to look at the behavior of those who benefit most, namely, the Pharma industry.

When I was 17, I delivered prescriptions for a local drugstore that was owned by a neighbor.
For about a year and a half, I delivered a Morphine prescription to a elderly thin and cheerful man who lived alone in a large house.  The pharmacist, who knew the man's doctor, told me that the guy had terminal cancer and not long to live. And of course, then he died. That is the sort of patient that should get opiates, I would say. By the way, the prescription cost  65ยข for a month's supply.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »
Already addressed the "why".  They're pressured because they're ignorant as to side effects and contraindications or they're pressured thru greed.   Neither of which is forced by "Big Pharma"

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2016, 10:40:31 PM »
Kratom

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/12/493295493/kratom-advocates-speak-out-against-proposed-government-ban

Have you heard of this stuff?

Legal till recently , pain relief with manageable side effects.

Beneficial to people trying to kick an opiate .

Now illegal.

Some of these decisions are the government being obtuse.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »
http://www.kratomherbs.com/
It seems to be available now.
===================================

As for Oxycontin abuse, there is no way to explain why there is so much abuse of these expensive and addictive pills in the US compared to other countries than the actions of the drug companies who make bazillions of them.

Big Pharma is the nation's biggest pusher.
They know the problems, and they are not forced to sell or even make this stuff.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
http://www.kratomherbs.com/
It seems to be available now.
===================================

Legislation is pending.

Practically anything that is an effective drug will have the government discourage it.