Author Topic: Democrats: Is There Another Path to "Success"? Please Elaborate.  (Read 6940 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Democrats: Is There Another Path to "Success"? Please Elaborate.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 09:55:46 PM »
Must burn Bush......must burn Bush
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 11:36:03 PM »
i wouldn't be so proud of our popular culture, unless you think treating women as objects and glorifying violence is an ideal worth exporting.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 12:03:10 AM »
Must burn Bush......must burn Bush

DIID/DIID (Damned if I don't/Damned if do)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 12:07:02 AM »
i wouldn't be so proud of our popular culture, unless you think treating women as objects and glorifying violence is an ideal worth exporting.

Would you agree that Lanya's point is valid in that the USSR's interest in "rocknroll" actually helped end the Cold War in at least some small way?  I know I would.  I remember when I heard that one of my faves of all time was going to be the first musician to perform in Russia.  Billy Joel's appearances in Russia were a way for Americans to connect with Russians and vice versa.  I remember hearing about how blue jeans were one of the most sought after black market items there in the 80's.  They didn't see a bollywood film and want to emulate their styles.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 12:08:37 AM »

That'd be referring to Bush, of course
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 12:13:28 AM »
That is both genuine and brilliant, Brass, a stellar contribution to the national discussion and an example for us all as to how intractable issues should be addressed. I will add, on a personal note, Dad, that your son will be proud if he ever has occasion to look back on this.

Well, this is a DAY.  Thanks, Domer.

These problems are OUR problems. 

Domer is right , very well done.

I don't see how this could be true-"Our immediate absence in Iraq would send the numbers of people with a terrorist agenda against the US plummeting."

But as a statement of opinion it is very well turned.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 12:16:17 AM »

Would you agree that Lanya's point is valid in that the USSR's interest in "rocknroll" actually helped end the Cold War in at least some small way?  I know I would.  I remember when I heard that one of my faves of all time was going to be the first musician to perform in Russia.  Billy Joel's appearances in Russia were a way for Americans to connect with Russians and vice versa.  I remember hearing about how blue jeans were one of the most sought after black market items there in the 80's.  They didn't see a bollywood film and want to emulate their styles.

The hidebound pruitanical type finds American popular culture irritateing , it is upsetting to see the youth turning from tradition.

This is one of the root causes of terrorism.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 12:18:36 AM »

It seemed to me you're only reply to this thread since I posted in it was the "must burn Bush" post and therefore I thought that you were referring to my post as some kind of burn on Bush when I actually went WAY out of my way to make sure it wasn't about that.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 12:19:09 AM »
Would you agree that Lanya's point is valid in that the USSR's interest in "rocknroll" actually helped end the Cold War in at least some small way?

This isn't the cold war. Are you saying the music of today is akin to Billy Joel at his finest?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 12:35:41 AM »
This isn't the cold war. Are you saying the music of today is akin to Billy Joel at his finest?

I'll go the BT route.  What I think is good music doesn't matter.  What matters is what middle easterners think is good music.  However, it is really no secret that America culture is HUGE in Iran.  American cinema especially.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 12:40:37 AM »

I'll go the BT route.  What I think is good music doesn't matter.  What matters is what middle easterners think is good music.  However, it is really no secret that America culture is HUGE in Iran.  American cinema especially.

And acting or dressing western is getting increseingly dangerous.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 04:09:25 AM »

It seemed to me you're only reply to this thread since I posted in it was the "must burn Bush" post and therefore I thought that you were referring to my post as some kind of burn on Bush when I actually went WAY out of my way to make sure it wasn't about that.

As usual, when trying to read my mind, wrong again

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 06:40:09 PM »

As usual, when trying to read my mind, wrong again

When what you write is so dull and witless, it is my only recourse but to try and cipher your meaning.  Have you thought about making your replies more meaningful and coherent?  It would certainly save me a lot of work and mistaken abstraction.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 08:31:43 PM »
When what you write is so dull and witless, it is my only recourse but to try and cipher your meaning.  Have you thought about making your replies more meaningful and coherent?  It would certainly save me a lot of work and mistaken abstraction.

Pay attention, and focusing on what's said vs what you think I mean when i say it, will provide you a fine start to responding with any substance

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
Pay attention, and focusing on what's said vs what you think I mean when i say it, will provide you a fine start to responding with any substance

Point taken.  Ignore you is what you're saying I should do.