Author Topic: What the hell are we doing in Syria/Iraq??  (Read 695 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What the hell are we doing in Syria/Iraq??
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
Ok, I get that the "American people don't want another war".  I get that the "American people don't want to invade".  I also get that the Community Organizer and Chief needs to make the country think he's doing something about AlQeada's big brother, ISIS.  But seriously, what are we doing?

Or the better question is, what is our objective??

If our Objective is to decimate and dismantle ISIS, that's NOT going to happen with airpower alone.  Its not even slowing them down much

If our Ojective is to merely disrupt their command & control, as well as their supply lines, that requires more intel, as in boots on the ground with the ability to identify specific targets, giving our air strikes a chance for some lethal disruption

If, however, our "objective" is to placate the masses that we're doing something against folks who behead our own citizens, this is a horrid use of our military, putting soldiers at grave risk, spending millions of tax dollars, and using up resources that could be better utilized for serious conditions, all for qa political show of "doing something". 

Here's a hint....if you want the enemy out of Iraq, then you bomb the heck out of ISIS in Iraq, and leave them an exit route, back into Syria.  You don't keep bombing in both places
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: What the hell are we doing in Syria/Iraq??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »
Decimate means to kill every tenth one. This was a form of -punishment used by the Romans against troublesome villagers.
I suspect that the plan is to kill more than a tenth of ISIS.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
Professor literal strikes again    ::)

What you "suspect" vs what actually is, requires some apparent grasp of mathematics, as in an apparent # that has been determined to make up ISIS, and to keep hitting them, until 1/10th of them have been killed?

Context professor.......context.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »
Decimate means decimate. You can look it up anywhere.

Here, it seems misused.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »
Context professor.......the point is what are we doing in Syria/Iraq, not some overt deflection of what any mispellings I might make, really mean     ::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
It is not a misspelling. D E C I M A T E the silent E at the end is the only difficult part.

They say that ISIS is dangerous and must be defeated. I have not been there, reporting is sketchy, I do not really know what it would take to eliminate the threat of ISIS. I do not favor sending large numbers of troops.

This country is apparently not good at imposing favorable governments in the Middle East.

The Shah of Iran was as good as we have accomplished, and it turned out to be a disaster for Iran and the US.

The US is not omnipotent.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
They "say" alot of things.  That means squat.  If our objective is that they be "defeated", airpower alone isn't going to do it.  Only a combination of troops and airpower can.  That doesn't defacto mean it has to be our troops, but it does defacto mean that it will require troops on the ground

If that's not our objective, than why are we there??

So, which is it?  (and NO, that doesn't mean that I think that you're privvy to the details of Obama's military advisers.  It's again, a rhetorical question.  Gads, to constantly have to provide such a dislaimer  ::)  )
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:34:01 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
Killing a tenth of the Isis organization would be a very worthy project, at least a good start.

If we could choose the best tenth and slam that it could even be enough.

But we have not yet flown 500 sorties , which would be a single days worth if we were really exerting ourselves, it will take months to kill 1/10 of them with these methods.

We are not less at war , for making all our acts of war small scale.

We ought to be trying to win, annihilating the enemy so convincingly that it causes them a recruitment problem , decimation every year could possibly go on forever.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[There needs to be a word that really means "reduce by a tenth" to use when you really mean "destroy ten percent". "Decimation" is so commonly used in stead of "destruction" that it hardly seems to be a mistake anymore, which is too bad, it was a good word while it lasted but its new meaning means we require a replacement word for "ten percent destroyed".]

Tythemolation!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:23:39 AM »