Author Topic: Quick Anecdote for Reactions  (Read 2824 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quick Anecdote for Reactions
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:07:12 AM »
I read that humans produce something like 2-3% of the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. And there have been spikes as large as the current spike well before there was any human industry.

=========================================================
Most Americans are obese because we gain 2-3% every year and never lose it. The net result is an epidemic of flab, followed by a decrease in lifespan.

The same principle could apply to the atmosphere.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »
Most Americans are obese because we gain 2-3% every year and never lose it. The net result is an epidemic of flab, followed by a decrease in lifespan.

The same principle could apply to the atmosphere.

Except that carbon dioxide is consumed by plants, which then release oxygen. There is nothing that sucks fat out of human bodies in nature, releasing good things.

So, while in your mind it could apply to the atmosphere, in the real world it does not.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
So, while in your mind it could apply to the atmosphere, in the real world it does not.
------------------------------------------------

Jeez, it's an ANALOGY. The point is that 2 to 3% does make a difference. A serious cumulative difference.

If we were to plant 2-3% more vegetation, then we might be able to neutralize the damage we do to the atmosphere. But we don't. Perhaps we couldn't.

I suppose some plants absorb more CO2 and emit more O2 than others. Perhaps we should determine which those plants are for each climatic zone, and plant more of them.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »
The point is that 2 to 3% does make a difference. A serious cumulative difference.

And yet you fail to understand that that 2-3% is including all human production of greenhouse gases. If we were to abandon ALL industry, right now, all at once, we would still be contributing to greenhouse gases, because we eat and breathe.

If we were to plant 2-3% more vegetation, then we might be able to neutralize the damage we do to the atmosphere. But we don't. Perhaps we couldn't.

You got a source that says we don't? I see people all over the place planting stuff every weekend (it's called working in the garden / yard).
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 12:45:46 PM »
------------------------------------------------

Jeez, it's an ANALOGY. The point is that 2 to 3% does make a difference. A serious cumulative difference.

I suppose some plants absorb more CO2 and emit more O2 than others. Perhaps we should determine which those plants are for each climatic zone, and plant more of them.

Does accumulation happen?

Do plants photosenthasize at the same rate no matter that more CO2 is availible?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »

I read that humans produce something like 2-3% of the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. And there have been spikes as large as the current spike well before there was any human industry.

I know you like to think that is true but it just ain't.  Sorry.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »

What part isn't true?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 11:34:31 PM »

What part isn't true?

Guess the non-response answered that question.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 12:44:25 AM »
When we dump garbage in the ocean that kills tiny sea creatures that large sea creatures eat.  When those large sea creatures can't eat, they die and when they die we can't fish them out to eat ourselves.

When the ocean temps go up because of our aforementioned CO pumping, we're killing ourselves by killing sea life and melting ice caps and changing weather patterns.

SEE?  Global warming is nature's way of preventing overpopulation.  Who the hell are we to interfere with that??
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
SEE?  Global warming is nature's way of preventing overpopulation.  Who the hell are we to interfere with that??

Some of us like living and believe that this life is our only life.  We'd like to have it last a long time.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »

Some of us like living and believe that this life is our only life.  We'd like to have it last a long time.

It may become needfull to adapt to new conditions.