Author Topic: Voted off the Island  (Read 2164 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Voted off the Island
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/24/30gtteacher-lets-students-vote-out-classmate-5/?feedback=1#comments

Teacher lets Morningside students vote out classmate, 5

By Colleen Wixon (Contact)
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Alex Barton

Photo provided by the family

Alex Barton

STORY TOOLS

* E-mail story
    * Comments
    * iPod friendly
    * Printer friendly

related linksMore Schools

* Graduation 2008 on the Treasure Coast
    * South Fork students score at national quiz tournament
    * Stetson University summer program for kids now registering

Share and Enjoy Share and Enjoy [?]

PORT ST. LUCIE ? Melissa Barton said she is considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class.

After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, Alex, his Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14 to 2 margin, the students voted Alex ? who is in the process of being diagnosed with autism ? out of the class.

Melissa Barton filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer, who investigated the matter, Port St. Lucie Department spokeswoman Michelle Steele said. But the state attorney's office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said.

Port St. Lucie Police no longer are investigating, but police officials are documenting the complaint, she said.

Steele said the teacher confirmed the incident took place.

Portillo could not be reached for comment Friday.

Steele said the boy had been sent to the principal's office because of disciplinary issues. When he returned, Portillo made him go to the front of the room as a form of punishment, she said.

Barton said her son is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a type of high-functioning autism. Alex began the testing process in February at the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marcia Cully.

Children diagnosed with Asperger's often exhibit social isolation and eccentric behavior..

Alex has had disciplinary issues because of his disability, Barton said. After the family moved into the area and Alex and his sibling arrived at the school in January, Alex spent much of the time in the principal's office, she said.

He also had problems at his last school, but he did not have issues during his two years of preschool, Barton said.

School and district officials have met with Barton and her son to create an individual education plan to address his difficulties, she said. Portillo attended these meetings, Barton said.

Barton said after the vote, Portillo asked Alex how he felt.

"He said, 'I feel sad,' " Barton said.

Alex left the classroom and spent the rest of the day in the nurse's office, she said.

Barton said when she came to pick up her son at the school Wednesday, he was leaving the nurse's office.

"He was shaken up," she said.

Barton said the nurse told her to talk with Portillo, who told her what happened.

Alex hasn't been back to school since then, and Barton said he won't be returning. He starts screaming when she brings him with her to drop off his sibling at school.

Thursday night, his mother heard him saying "I'm not special" over and over.

Barton said Alex is reliving the incident.

The other students said he was "disgusting" and "annoying," Barton said.

"He was incredibly upset," Barton said. "The only friend he has ever made in his life was forced to do this."

St. Lucie School's spokeswoman Janice Karst said the district is investigating the incident, but could not make any further comment.

Vern Melvin, Department of Children and Families circuit administrator, confirmed the agency is investigating an allegation of abuse at Morningside but said he could not elaborate.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Voted off the Island
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »
Asperger's syndrome, a type of high-functioning autism

Most of us that post here could probly fit this diagnosis.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:19:03 AM »

Alex who is in the process of being diagnosed with autism ?

. . . 

Barton said her son is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a type of high-functioning autism. Alex began the testing process in February at the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marcia Cully.

These are the most telling statements in the whole article.

He hasn't been diagnosed with autism.

He isn't "being tested" for autism.

He is "in the process of being diagnosed" with autism.

I wonder how long it takes to approve the application?
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »

===============================================
Speak for yourself.

This kid probably belongs in some special class. It is not fair to him or the others to force him upon them or vice versa.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:19:59 AM »

===============================================
Speak for yourself.

This kid probably belongs in some special class. It is not fair to him or the others to force him upon them or vice versa.

I do speak for myself , how do you know that you are free of Asperger's syndrome symptoms?

http://www.aspergers.com/aspclin.htm

If you could understand the paragraph at the end of that link when you were sixteen , you might have been an Asperger's syndrome sufferer yourself.

I have long been diagnosed of this by my little brother , who is convinced that I have always had the symptoms.

Of course he is also delighted to pronounce a condition on me that sounds very much like a very cheap cut of meat.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:13:15 PM »

On the contrary, the quote you used said that he was being tested. "Alex began the testing process in February at the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marcia Cully."

But let's say he wasn't. The public embarrassment and degradation orchestrated by the teacher was not the best of ideas whether or not the child is autistic, being tested or in the process of being diagnosed.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:50 AM »

On the contrary, the quote you used said that he was being tested. "Alex began the testing process in February at the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marcia Cully."

But let's say he wasn't. The public embarrassment and degradation orchestrated by the teacher was not the best of ideas whether or not the child is autistic, being tested or in the process of being diagnosed.

When I said he isn't "being tested" or "diagnosed" or any number of other things, I was making the point that the MINDSET of these idiots is that autism is a FOREGONE CONCLUSION.  I wasn't literally saying that he wasn't being tested.  I put it in quotes because I was comparing it to the original phrase "in the process of being diagnosed."   Obviously, he is being tested as part of the "process" of diagnosis.  But that isn't a PART - it is the WHOLE.  I'm in the process of becoming a Ham. (That is, an amateur radio operator - not a lousy actor.  I'm already that.)   That means that becoming a Ham is a foregone conclusion - at least assuming I pass the tests.  It is NOT a foregone conclusion, when one is being tested for cancer, that the diagnosis will be made.  It may be highly suspected, and all of the signs may be there, but you would describe the tests as "being tested" for cancer - not "in the process of being diagnosed."  You might describe it as "in the process of being tested" if you care to be wordy (know anybody like that?) but not "in the process of being diagnosed."  In fact, the only time the phrase makes sense is when it is NOT associated with any particular disorder as in "I have a weird growth on my forehead that is in the process of being diagnosed."  You don't know what it is, you are being tested.   The mindset is the issue, not the tests.  Once any number of "syndromes" "disorders" or whatever are suspected, the testing is a formality.  The diagnosis is as good as made.  And I'll bet Plane has it right, at least in terms of the implication of his statement that we all probably show some of these signs.  I'll bet if you took any random 100 kids and told the testers you suspected aspergers disease or any number of other disorders, 100 of them would be diagnosed.   Just like ADHD, ADD, HYPERACTIVITY or whatever the going buzzword for "undisciplined kid" is.  This kid had a problem, and his parents needed a good excuse.  What better excuse than "He's got a syndrome."   I think the kid may just have a syndrome I thought up.  It's called NAGS syndrome.  Needs A Good Spanking. 

And this situation reminds me of the FLDS disaster.  When I saw what they were doing I thought, "there has to be more to this story.  It just seems so hard to believe."  I allowed as how the government was right in doing what they did assuming the sensationalistic claims they made were true, but I was skeptical.  Turns out, I was right to be so.  I feel the same way about this case.  There is more to the story than is being told.  The kid was a "disciplinary problem."  Does that mean he talks too much in class or that he is constantly bullying the other children?  If 14 kids and the teacher wanted him out, he might just be a scapegoat.  But if that sort of behavior passes muster with the courts and the school administration, maybe he's more the problem than the victim.  This story is way too pat.  It smells like three-day-old fish.  I'm not convinced this teacher is the monster she is made out to be or that the vote off the island is as bad as people think.  Once again, if this kid is just a little odd and he is being scapegoated then by all means, the teacher should be drawn and quartered.  (We can forgive the kids, because they are far too young to be expected to overcome the concept of a pecking order.)  But I remain unconvinced that this is the case.  Everyone is rushing to judgement and the facts in this case are CLEARLY not all in.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:47:07 AM »
Was this teacher looking for a creative alternative to spanking?

I would rather have the spanking than the shun.

I recall a tall gawky first grader I was a classmate of , our teacher broke her little paddle on his bottom without makeing much of an impression on him really .

He was our hero for a cupple of weeks .

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:51:37 PM »

Once again, if this kid is just a little odd and he is being scapegoated then by all means, the teacher should be drawn and quartered.  (We can forgive the kids, because they are far too young to be expected to overcome the concept of a pecking order.)  But I remain unconvinced that this is the case.

I'm not saying anyone should be drawn and quartered. I'm not sure the mother has grounds to pursue legal action of any sort. And maybe the child is not autistic. But again, the public embarrassment and degradation orchestrated by the teacher was not the best of ideas. According to the article, the teacher is the one who told the mother what happened. So obviously the teacher doesn't think it was that bad, but I gotta say, it seems like a bad idea that would, in a room full of bad ideas, stand out as a bad idea. The boy is disruptive and other children don't like him, so make him stand alone in the front of the class while each of the other students gets to say what they don't like about the boy, and, as if that wasn't bad enough, then have a vote to reject the boy and have him put out of the classroom. Let's just say that is decidedly not what I would call a plan for helping the boy learn to play well with others.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »

Once again, if this kid is just a little odd and he is being scapegoated then by all means, the teacher should be drawn and quartered.  (We can forgive the kids, because they are far too young to be expected to overcome the concept of a pecking order.)  But I remain unconvinced that this is the case.

I'm not saying anyone should be drawn and quartered. I'm not sure the mother has grounds to pursue legal action of any sort. And maybe the child is not autistic. But again, the public embarrassment and degradation orchestrated by the teacher was not the best of ideas. According to the article, the teacher is the one who told the mother what happened. So obviously the teacher doesn't think it was that bad, but I gotta say, it seems like a bad idea that would, in a room full of bad ideas, stand out as a bad idea. The boy is disruptive and other children don't like him, so make him stand alone in the front of the class while each of the other students gets to say what they don't like about the boy, and, as if that wasn't bad enough, then have a vote to reject the boy and have him put out of the classroom. Let's just say that is decidedly not what I would call a plan for helping the boy learn to play well with others.

Puts one in mind of a Chineese revolutionary trial , or a 3DHS discussion of civility.