Author Topic: If You Were a Terrorist, How Would You Attack?  (Read 20332 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: If You Were a Terrorist, How Would You Attack?
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2007, 01:48:59 PM »
Minimum standards? I think that background checks would be fair and some sort of standards could be set for rejecting criminals who have not repaid their debt to society. Other than that, I don't really see a problem with setting up an agreement between Mexico, Canada, and the United States to allow any citizen in any of those three nations to travel freely between those countries. Anyone may live, work, and visit any place in any of those nations freely, without any undue process.

That dovetails with my concept of virtually expanding the borders to include Canada and Mexico. I would think that legal systems and property rights would have to be synchronized in all three regions. Same with taxation laws. Much like what the European Union has attempted but with an acknowledgment of home rule.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2007, 03:22:48 PM »
Yea....and?  Strangely, I actually beleive there should be laws in place if you wish to come into this country, be it live or work.  Silly me, being supportive of National security & Economic stability

Nobody was concerned about those before 1957?

I was born in '63        ;)   
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »
....One more time, this isn't an issue of being anti-immigration.  This is an issue of being anti ILLEGAL immigration.  A difference the size of the Grand Canyon

"A class warfare kind of act"  Yet, in the sentence right before you talk about poverty stricken countries. Some of whom can thank United States policies for their very place in the world. But yeah, we better not discuss class...that would be bad.

Ahh, so it's the U.S.'s fault for all other failed countries.   ::)  My point of bringing up poverty Js was simply to add a FACTUAL concept to this dicsussion.  Are you trying to claim there are many poverty stricken countries that the U.S. envies??  Trying to make this a classwarfare thing is when someone tries to claim poverty caused by a big bad mean rich person, in this case, the U.S,, and apparently has little to do with the circumstances & choices one makes, or governent that person's country runs.  That's ALL you big guy

I truely feel for those born in 3rd world countries.

Yeah you do.

Yea, I do

So don't try to sit across from your keyboard, and infer that this Country or myself are trying to be greedy, self serving, and not wanting to help the less fortunate.

Heh. You said it, not me.

You're right, I said it, in demonstrating how erroneous it is

But this is your argument, not mine. Mine has nothing to do with the plight of third world countries. You're just making an argument and putting it in my mouth.

No, There's 2 arguements currently, 1 that became a tangential subject facilitated by yourself with the classwarfare tactic.  One about illegal immigration and 1 about 3rd world countries vs the U.S.  If you want to stick with just illegal immigration, then by all means, please do so

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
Minimum standards? I think that background checks would be fair and some sort of standards could be set for rejecting criminals who have not repaid their debt to society. Other than that, I don't really see a problem with setting up an agreement between Mexico, Canada, and the United States to allow any citizen in any of those three nations to travel freely between those countries. Anyone may live, work, and visit any place in any of those nations freely, without any undue process.

That dovetails with my concept of virtually expanding the borders to include Canada and Mexico. I would think that legal systems and property rights would have to be synchronized in all three regions. Same with taxation laws. Much like what the European Union has attempted but with an acknowledgment of home rule.

Then it seems we agree much more than we disagree.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »
Ahh, so it's the U.S.'s fault for all other failed countries.   ::)

No, not all. In some countries we do hold some responsibilities for our actions. We pumped billions of dollars into the Duvaliers in Haiti, yet none of that money ever reached the infrastructure or the actual people of that nation. It is miserably poor and yes, we are responsible for our actions - are we not?

My point of bringing up poverty Js was simply to add a FACTUAL concept to this dicsussion.  Are you trying to claim there are many poverty stricken countries that the U.S. envies??

First, I never said that. Second, countries don't feel envy. You are placing a personal human emotion on an abstract concept of nationhood. Honestly Sirs, to call that a "FACTUAL concept" or even a "concept" at all is a grave injustice to thinking people everywhere.

Trying to make this a classwarfare thing is when someone tries to claim poverty caused by a big bad mean rich person, in this case, the U.S,, and apparently has little to do with the circumstances & choices one makes, or governent that person's country runs.  That's ALL you big guy

Dear Lord! The sad part is that you actually believe that is what class struggle is about, don't you? See, this is why you need to read Marx before you go out and start making comments like that. Sirs, you obviously have no idea what class is, let alone any concept of class struggle.

Yea, I do

In your little office with your air conditioning and bottled water, I bet you do.

That's called a strawman. You build it so you can knock it down.

No, There's 2 arguements currently, 1 that became a tangential subject facilitated by yourself with the classwarfare tactic.  One about illegal immigration and 1 about 3rd world countries vs the U.S.  If you want to stick with just illegal immigration, then by all means, please do so

Who died and made you king of how many arguments there are? (By the way, you say there are two, but then you mention three)

My argument is completely economic, but also uses historical components (in that I can point to successes in open border policy).
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2007, 05:39:21 PM »
Ahh, so it's the U.S.'s fault for all other failed countries.   ::)

No, not all. In some countries we do hold some responsibilities for our actions. We pumped billions of dollars into the Duvaliers in Haiti, yet none of that money ever reached the infrastructure or the actual people of that nation. It is miserably poor and yes, we are responsible for our actions - are we not?

We are responsible for OUR actions, which doesn't include what monies & resources other governments keep for themselves and NOT distribute to their people.  Or are you advocating we bypass all soverign governments and do air drops any damn place or time we want?

My point of bringing up poverty Js was simply to add a FACTUAL concept to this dicsussion.  Are you trying to claim there are many poverty stricken countries that the U.S. envies??

First, I never said that. Second, countries don't feel envy.

NOOO?  You've got to be kidding.  People coming here from other countries don't evny America?  People coming from impoverished and destitute countries come here........why then?? 

Honestly Sirs, to call that a "FACTUAL concept" or even a "concept" at all is a grave injustice to thinking people everywhere.

Amazing, calling a poor country poor in comparisom to the U.S., is some form of injustice.  Because "thinking" people know better?  Yea, no elitism in that comment.  And you get away with this in other debate circles?

Trying to make this a classwarfare thing is when someone tries to claim poverty caused by a big bad mean rich person, in this case, the U.S,, and apparently has little to do with the circumstances & choices one makes, or governent that person's country runs.  That's ALL you big guy

Dear Lord! The sad part is that you actually believe that is what class struggle is about, don't you?

No, that would be you, when you keep comparing people from other countries and their rationales for coming here, with the added inferrence of how we don't want them here because.......well, I can only assume that you think that America thinks they don't deserve to be here.  Now, are you going to focus on illegal immigration, or keep making this about this tangential conversation you claimed you never were apart of??

Yea, I do (feel bad for others who are born in less advanced, poverty stricken countries

In your little office with your air conditioning and bottled water, I bet you do.

Yea, I do.  You really want to bet on this??     >:(    Anything else you wish to claim you know so well about me??

That's called a strawman. You build it so you can knock it down.

In the presence of the master, apparently

My argument is completely economic, but also uses historical components (in that I can point to successes in open border policy).

While mine is completely about LEGAL vs ILLEGAL immigration, and has ZIP to do with ethnicity or how poor a person is, and is also based on economic principles, policies, and resources, with the added component of my being an intimate part of one of those resources currently being stripped down by both illegal immigration and ever increasing government bureacrcy. (i.e. in that I can point to the acute failures and probable outcomes of an open border policy)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:27:42 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2007, 11:02:55 AM »
What is the difference between an open border and a loss of sovereignty?

Can the laws at the border be even in both directions?

I don't think that Mexico would be willing to give up its controll of its border in the same terms as they want us to.

Canada on the other hand makes no virtue of nationalism , so perhaps an agglomeration would not offend them .

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/agglomeration

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2007, 05:44:55 PM »
Gosh, who wold want Mexico? Sorry, but morethan half of the provinces are controlled by the Army due to drug lords. And even then, it apparently isn't working. Sure, they've got oil, but is that eonugh for all the anarchy we would have to put up with id we "merged"?

Canada? Better match. Not the inherent problems with Mexico. And the possible oil reserves in the Arctic Circle might be of significant benefit to all. We also offer much to the equation, obviously.

But Mexico? Nyet!
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2007, 05:59:57 PM »
Gosh, who wold want Mexico? Sorry, but morethan half of the provinces are controlled by the Army due to drug lords. And even then, it apparently isn't working. Sure, they've got oil, but is that eonugh for all the anarchy we would have to put up with id we "merged"?

You bring up a valid point.

However:

if Mexico had our legal system and property rights would the corruption that allows drug lords to set up fiefdoms still flourish?

Would investment in the various states of Mexico flourish if political stability were at hand?

and if decent employment opportunities were there because of the added investment would the need to emigrate still be as strong?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2007, 06:03:13 PM »
All excellent points, BT. Think Mexico would "go for it"? (hypotheically)
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »
Depends on how the deal was structured.

and how it was sold.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2007, 07:06:43 PM »

Well, an open border is merely a border that people can cross with minimal interference. A loss of sovereignty would involve replacing the government or the government's authority with some other government or authority. There is nothing about open borders that removes the authority of the government to be the government of the nation. If the U.S. had open borders, we would still have laws and public roads and police and courts and all sorts of pointless regulations and all those other things government currently does. Why people keep trying to equate open borders with a loss of sovereignty I don't know. It makes no sense at all. Having an open border does not remove laws. Most of the states in this United States have essentially open borders, and they all still have state governments. One can travel from city to city here without needing travel permits, yet the cities still have borders and governments and police. Why would having open national borders result a loss of sovereignty for the nation?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2007, 07:45:02 PM »
Prince,

The problem with your scenario of crossing state borders vs national borders is that the states have reciprocity and uniform laws.

That is not the case with Mexico and the US.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2007, 11:38:23 PM »

Well, an open border is merely a border that people can cross with minimal interference. A loss of sovereignty would involve replacing the government or the government's authority with some other government or authority. There is nothing about open borders that removes the authority of the government to be the government of the nation. If the U.S. had open borders, we would still have laws and public roads and police and courts and all sorts of pointless regulations and all those other things government currently does. Why people keep trying to equate open borders with a loss of sovereignty I don't know. It makes no sense at all. Having an open border does not remove laws. Most of the states in this United States have essentially open borders, and they all still have state governments. One can travel from city to city here without needing travel permits, yet the cities still have borders and governments and police. Why would having open national borders result a loss of sovereignty for the nation?

The several States of the United States have given up soverenty to the Federal government .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »

Canada? Better match. Not the inherent problems with Mexico. And the possible oil reserves in the Arctic Circle might be of significant benefit to all. We also offer much to the equation, obviously.

But Mexico? Nyet!

When Germay was reunited there were lots of problems caused by the differences ,but they wanted it to happen so much that they put up with it.