General Category > 3DHS

myths about school shootings

<< < (2/5) > >>

kimba1:
the list I linked kinda covered that.

school violence is actually very low,but more publicly known now.

one has to wonder how bad it was in the old days.

I remember quite a few anti-juvy movies in the fifties & sixties.

on the guns in school issue
too many adults are not mature enough to handle a gun.
there is too high a chance of something going wrong with armed people hanging around schools with children.responsible gun owners will agree
you need training to handle a gun
it`s not just point and shoot.
all those new years stories of some guy shoot his gun in the air killing someone are not exactly myths.

sirs:
I think you missed my point Kimba.  1st off, no one is advocating that there simply be "guns at school", and simply handled by an adult vs a child.  I've seen plenty of "adults" who have no business handling a firearm.  2nd off, the "gun free zone" remians just that...an area free of any effective defense against any would be yahoo armed to the teeth.  Lastly, I support 100% TRAINING of selective school staff, to carry and handle a concealed firearm.  Not an army of security, not AR-15's and Uzi's, just a few staff who are well trained to handle such incidents that may occur.

Amianthus:

--- Quote from: sirs on October 05, 2006, 04:18:31 PM ---2nd off, the "gun free zone" remians just that...an area free of any effective defense against any would be yahoo armed to the teeth.

--- End quote ---

Actually, the Gun Free School Zone Act was overturned by the Supreme Court in 1995 (United States v. Lopez).

sirs:
I was referring to the zone in general, Ami.  There are many locales & business areas that would profess to be "gun free zones".  But I do thank you for the heads-up from the Fed stand point.  Do the States support that decision?

Amianthus:

--- Quote from: sirs on October 05, 2006, 04:44:06 PM ---Do the States support that decision?

--- End quote ---

In general, no. Many states passed their own versions of the federal law when the Supreme Court said that Congress had overstepped it's bounds. Limitations on the commerce clause do not apply to states.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version