General Category > 3DHS

John Danforth Says the American Center Has Collapsed

(1/2) > >>

domer:
One of America's premier centrists, though among his conservative credentials is his leading support for Clarence Thomas's elevation to the Supreme Court, John Danforth has voiced the opinion that his bipartisan, consensus-building and compromise-willing philosophy are largely a thing of the past now on our national political scene. He does not know how permanent this situation is, but its passing marks a negative milestone in our public life, at least as I see things.

What do any of you think of this assessment and its implications?

BT:
I think he is wrong.

Lanya:
I think he's partly right.

Where I differ is that I see people coming together in opposition to the present Administration.
But there are the fringe  bomb throwers and it's very easy to listen to them: Rush, Michael Savage, etc.
  Newt Gingrish is not exactly a man who encourages people to come together and reason, and I read that his star is rising again in the Party. 
I've never heard such incivility and partisanship among people we elect to office.
I'm hoping people are as heartily sick of it as I am.

BT:

--- Quote ---Newt Gingrish is not exactly a man who encourages people to come together and reason
--- End quote ---

And yet he and Hillary see eye to eye on the need for health care.

Go figure.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/13/opinion/smith/main695090.shtml

Mucho:
It is clear that the right wants the death of the middle. They are not happy with just having most of the money, but want the rest of us beggared so that the gap is more visible as it is in 3rd world countries. There is no end to Repub greed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version