Author Topic: As American as conspiracy theories...  (Read 548 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
As American as conspiracy theories...
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:32:52 AM »
http://www.reason.com/news/show/126160.html

On Tuesday the lesbian assassin of Vince Foster won Pennsylvania's presidential primary. In the larger contest for the Democratic nomination, though, she still lags behind a jihadist sleeper agent who is simultaneously a secret Muslim, a secret Communist, and a secret Republican. Whoever wins their race will go on to face a brainwashed puppet of the Viet Cong, and whoever wins that race will then get on with the modern president's central task: serving the interests of Mexico. It must be true, I read it in my email.

[...]

After independence was won, the victorious patriots quickly found plots in their own ranks. If you didn't think the Jeffersonians were Jacobin pawns of the Illuminati, you probably fretted that the Federalists were conspiring to establish a monarchy. Nor did the hunt for subversive cabals end with the death of the revolutionary generation. The historian David Brion Davis has pointed out that the lead-up to the Civil War can be viewed as a clash between two conspiracy theories, one featuring a fearsome network of abolitionists and the other a hungry Slave Power.

Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: As American as conspiracy theories...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:40:12 AM »
McCain is a Manchurian Commie Plant, Obama is a Muslim fifth columnist, and Hillary a crazed Lesbian homicidal maniac.

We are good at spreading conspiracies.

Have you heard where Jack Ruby hired Oswald to off JFK to get RFK off the backs of the mob? Now it all makes sense...

I think that before the Civil War, most people actually believed the conspiracies you mentioned and others as well.

Southerners certainly believed that Lincoln would take away their slaves
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."