Author Topic: Nuclear energy gone seriously wrong  (Read 966 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nuclear energy gone seriously wrong
« on: March 13, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
Not all of Japan is near the coast, not all of Japan is on a fault line, not all of Japan is subject to be submerged by a tsunami, but the latest tsunami proves that there were several built in the wrong places.

Here's hoping they do not build nuclear power plants near fault lines along the coast here in the US.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Nuclear energy gone seriously wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »
Not all of Japan is near the coast, not all of Japan is on a fault line, not all of Japan is subject to be submerged by a tsunami, but the latest tsunami proves that there were several built in the wrong places.

Here's hoping they do not build nuclear power plants near fault lines along the coast here in the US.

That certainly leaves a lot of electrical powers users who still could be served by nuclear energy. And the dream of electric cars dictates that they come up with additional sources.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:16:07 PM »

I live about 30 miles from san onofre nuclear generating station. I would say that it isn't far from a fault line and it's located directly on the coast too. Oh well...it;s been there since the 70's. Knock on your head it remains safe.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:05:25 AM »
actually nuclear power is fairly safe , but like anything it solely depends on the people running it. the one in russia and cuba use thee worst possible methods. japan on the otherhand will be a study for us on what other kinds of improvement we can do.thier tech is damn high and we`ll simply be learning from this.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »
actually nuclear power is fairly safe , but like anything it solely depends on the people running it. the one in russia and cuba use thee worst possible methods. japan on the otherhand will be a study for us on what other kinds of improvement we can do.thier tech is damn high and we`ll simply be learning from this.

I believe GE built the reactors.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:26:19 AM »

Although all of Japan is prone to earthquake , the epicenter of this quake was a quiet sector, no really big quake in the last 400 years.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
I can`t find out the origins of the reactors, but still this will be a learning lesson of finding out about modern safety procedures  post 3 mile island .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »
Anywhere along the coast in Japan is subject to tsunamis.

The problem with nuclear power is not just they have to be safe when they are built: they produce dangerous radioactive material which must be kept safe for thousands of years.

There will be a strong urge to build these along the coasts, because (1) that is where the people are, and (2) they need a lot of water.

Turkey point near Miami is right on the coast. If the Canary Islands has seismic activity, it will have serious problems.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
sorry
I got absolutely got no idea how radiotion works and I think the majority of us don`t know also.
true it`s dangerous, but not in ways percieved todays. people are paying money to rest in uranimum mines and hiroshima has some of the healthiest people living near it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »
There is no evidence at all that radiation is good for you.Paying to rest in a Uranium mine is like spending 30 minutes under a sunlamp every day, or shark's fin soup: a superstition not based in fact. Radiation causes mutation in cells than can become cancerous.  It is not good for you even if you pay to be irradiated.

Japanese outlive most other people because of their diet and perhaps genetics: radiation is not the reason.

There is a lot of evidence about this online.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 06:27:32 PM »
sharkfin soup is a misunderstaning, it`s just for health benefits. I like it because it taste very good.

I swear hiroshima has a thing called a ring of health , I`ll look it up

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:13:29 AM »
ring of health

more like a ring of hell