Author Topic: Let's compare. Remind me. Who is the elitist?  (Read 1196 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Let's compare. Remind me. Who is the elitist?
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Let's compare. Remind me. Who is the elitist?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
Obama clearly is the elitist.

McCain clearly is an elite.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »
Yep, no doubt about it.  Obama's the elitist, alright.  McCain's just one a the people.  Cindy's a NASCAR fan, fer chrissake.  Common folk.   Obama, the dirty elitist.  He hides his cars.  They're in Syria.  Hundreds of 'em.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:52 PM »
Yep, no doubt about it.  Obama's the elitist, alright.  McCain's just one a the people.  Cindy's a NASCAR fan, fer chrissake.  Common folk.   Obama, the dirty elitist.  He hides his cars.  They're in Syria.  Hundreds of 'em.

I have on these pages several times been assured that Class and income are not directly related.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »

<<I have on these pages several times been assured that Class and income are not directly related.>>

Not by me.  Although there are exceptions (I gave Jacquie O's family, the Bouviers, as an example) usually class and income WOULD be related.

The topic here is elitism.  Elitism and wealth.  I would say elitists are definitely wealthy and the Obamas are definitely not elitists.

They might be part of an intellectual elite, but that would be a GOOD thing, wouldn't it?  Or are brains BAD in a McCain-Palin administration?  (Bad, I guess, they tend to form disturbing conclusions about the age of the earth and the Descent of Man.)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »

They might be part of an intellectual elite, but that would be a GOOD thing, wouldn't it? 

Yes ,Yes it would.

But if it were so it could be demonstrated in debate , which BHO is trying to minimise, and the confident McCain is trying to maximise.

Elete is good everyone wants to be elete , eletist tho is a synonym for arrogance , and Obama has brought this into play himself by indulgeing a San Fransisco croud with speculations on the attitudes of lesser humans in Pennsilvania small towns.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »
Elete is good everyone wants to be elete , eletist tho is a synonym for arrogance , and Obama has brought this into play himself by indulgeing a San Fransisco croud with speculations on the attitudes of lesser humans in Pennsilvania small towns.

============================================================
It is true that many smalltown people dispossessed of their jobs focus their lives more on guns and religion.  I don't think Obama said that this was bad or good, just a fact. It is like saying that a high percentage of rural Georgians have coon dogs than do urban New Yorkers.

In no place did Obama claim that anyone was lesser or greater. Perhaps this attitude of inferiority was in your mind. I think that the better a president understands the people the better a president he can be.

Is being able to spell the mark of an elite or an elitist?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »
This is vintage DKos:

Stick Your Elitism Where the Sun Doesn't Shine
by wmtriallawyer
Sat Apr 12, 2008 at 08:38:26 AM PDT

Let me get this out of the way out front: by every measure, people are free to consider me part of the "elite." My wife and I make substantial income, live in a nice house, buying an even nicer one, drive nice cars, hold good jobs with pensions and health care paid for, are overeducated, hold positions of respect and power within our communities, etc., etc. Hell, we even live near Washington, D.C., home field for the elite.

But you damn sure better never call me an "elitist."

...That ain't me. And neither is it Barack Obama.
Beautiful DKos- We expected no less.
File that one under-- "The day the Obama Campaign imploded."

Earlier...
Obama was not only rude when he accused Pennylvanians of being bitter backwards Bible-thumpin gun humpers.
...He was wrong.

Karl at Protein Wisdom noted that those bitter Pennsylvanians make more than most of the rest of the country on average:

Pennsylvania has an above average per capital income, contrary to the stereotype Obama has seemingly borrowed from a Billy Joel song that was a hit before the 25-year period Obama mentions. Pennsylvania has an above average per capital income, contrary to the stereotype Obama has seemingly borrowed from a Billy Joel song that was a hit before the 25-year period Obama mentions. When the elite media and most Democrats say… “yeah… So? Obama is simply describing world as we know it,” they will be revealing that they know as much about those economic interests as they do religion or culture.
And as far as those bitter unemployed Pennsylvanians- the state unemployment rate is currently running below the national average at 4.9%:

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2008/04/obamas-bible-thumpin-gun-humpin.html

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:57:18 PM »

============================================================
It is true that many smalltown people dispossessed of their jobs focus their lives more on guns and religion.&nbsp; I don't think Obama said that this was bad or good, just a fact. It is like saying that a high percentage of rural Georgians have coon dogs than do urban New Yorkers.

In no place did Obama claim that anyone was lesser or greater. Perhaps this attitude of inferiority was in your mind. I think that the better a president understands the people the better a president he can be.

I am a leadiung authority on mispelling.

If BHO was not implying some inferiority , what was he talking about?

In Barack Obama's mind and within his braintrust, there must have been some temptation for him to deliver another big speech in an attempt to defuse the uproar sparked by his now-notorious effort to interpret the frustrations of small-town folk for urbane San Franciscans.http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/04/barack-obama-go.html

So, it depends on where you are, but I think it's fair to say that the places where we are going to have to do the most work are the places where people feel most cynical about government. The people are mis-appre ... I think they're misunderstanding why the demographics in our, in this contest have broken out as they are. Because everybody just ascribes it to 'white working-class don't wanna work -- don't wanna vote for the black guy.' That's ... there were intimations of that in an article in the Sunday New York Times today -- kind of implies that it's sort of a race thing.

Here's how it is: in a lot of these communities in big industrial states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, people have been beaten down so long, and they feel so betrayed by government, and when they hear a pitch that is premised on not being cynical about government, then a part of them just doesn't buy it. And when it's delivered by -- it's true that when it's delivered by a 46-year-old black man named Barack Obama (laugher), then that adds another layer of skepticism (laughter).

But -- so the questions you're most likely to get about me, 'Well, what is this guy going to do for me? What's the concrete thing?' What they wanna hear is -- so, we'll give you talking points about what we're proposing -- close tax loopholes, roll back, you know, the tax cuts for the top 1 percent. Obama's gonna give tax breaks to middle-class folks and we're gonna provide health care for every American. So we'll go down a series of talking points.

But the truth is, is that, our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there's not evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Um, now these are in some communities, you know. I think what you'll find is, is that people of every background -- there are gonna be a mix of people, you can go in the toughest neighborhoods, you know working-class lunch-pail folks, you'll find Obama enthusiasts. And you can go into places where you think I'd be very strong and people will just be skeptical. The important thing is that you show up and you're doing what you're doing.http://volokh.com/posts/1207972981.shtml

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-no-surprise-that-ha_b_96188.html

LISTEN TO THE FULL OBAMA April 6. FUNDRAISER SPEECH HERE &nbsp;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-exclusive-audio-on_b_96333.html

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 11:59:12 PM »

Being able to spell would be elite.

Correcting another's spelling errors in order to be snarky is the mark of an elitist.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 12:09:05 AM »
  "Obama made a problematic judgment call in trying to explain working class culture to a much wealthier audience. He described blue collar Pennsylvanians with a series of what in the eyes of Californians might be considered pure negatives: guns, clinging to religion, antipathy, xenophobia.

I'm not sure this is what at least this lot of Californians needed to hear about Pennsylvanians. Such phrases can reinforce negative stereotypes among Californians, who are a people in a state already surfeited with a smug sense of superiority and, as an ironic consequence, a parochialism and insularity at odds with the innovation, prosperity and openness for which California is rightly known. (Of course, this is a generalization,.....)..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-no-surprise-that-ha_b_96188.html