Author Topic: Classes in Darwinism and Intelligent design (Near Darwins home)  (Read 8948 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Classes in Darwinism and Intelligent design (Near Darwins home)
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:25:09 AM »
“I can see no reason why we have to regard Darwinism as a holy text that cannot be questioned,” he said. “It is a very good idea to challenge that in religious education. Just teaching children Darwinism doesn’t stretch their minds and give them intellectual hurdles to jump over. There should be lively debate.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16791773/

The_Professor

Re: Classes in Darwinism and Intelligent design (Near Darwins home)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:29:29 AM »
Interesting event. It will be intriguing to see how this evolves...hehe...sorry, couldn't resist.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 12:16:32 PM »
This is less of a problem in England where the shools can have religious classes.

Yet again Europe leads the way.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:04:17 PM »
True, Britain has always had religious education as part of its schooling, but that is part and parcel of having a state religion.

No need to address Intelligent Design, it is such an illogical thought process that it rightly deserves the refuse bin (as they say in the mother country ;) ).
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »
True, Britain has always had religious education as part of its schooling, but that is part and parcel of having a state religion.

No need to address Intelligent Design, it is such an illogical thought process that it rightly deserves the refuse bin (as they say in the mother country ;) ).

What do you consider to be the better alternative?

A lot of people say that they beleive in Evolution who really do not.

How does a beleif in Evolution influence the liveing of a persons life?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »

Why are you searching for an alternative? Just to spite evolution?

Evolution is, at its most basic, descent with modification. I think your statement "A lot of people say that they beleive in Evolution who really do not" is a poor one. I'd say that a lot of people in America have an irrational hatred of evolution first, then they seek to justify that without ever bothering to really understand it at all.

You question is senseless and I'm not saying that to be mean-spirited. It is like asking, "how does belief in gravity influence the living of a persons life?" Well, if you don't believe in gravity it doesn't prevent it from being real. Gravity is. Evolution is. You can loathe Newton or Darwin all you wish for either one, but that doesn't refute the existence of either.

You can invent outlandish and non-scientific theorems to explain the effects of gravity and evolution, but that still doesn't make your new theorems true, or gravity and evolution false.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »

Why are you searching for an alternative? Just to spite evolution?

Evolution is, at its most basic, descent with modification. I think your statement "A lot of people say that they beleive in Evolution who really do not" is a poor one. I'd say that a lot of people in America have an irrational hatred of evolution first, then they seek to justify that without ever bothering to really understand it at all.

You question is senseless and I'm not saying that to be mean-spirited. It is like asking, "how does belief in gravity influence the living of a persons life?" Well, if you don't believe in gravity it doesn't prevent it from being real. Gravity is. Evolution is. You can loathe Newton or Darwin all you wish for either one, but that doesn't refute the existence of either.

You can invent outlandish and non-scientific theorems to explain the effects of gravity and evolution, but that still doesn't make your new theorems true, or gravity and evolution false.

Intellignt Design is the oigional therom , Evolution is the upstart.

Do you beleive in evolution so well that you try to participate in it?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »

Again, that's like asking someone if they participate in gravity.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »

Err, no. Evolution is derived from the scientific process. Intelligent design is based on assumption.

Yes, I do. I made a choice for the mother of my child that would maximize my child's chances for survival.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 02:41:54 AM »

Err, no. Evolution is derived from the scientific process. Intelligent design is based on assumption.

If the scientific process you are speaking of is <observation> then Inteligant designis also based on scientific processes.

Yes, I do. I made a choice for the mother of my child that would maximize my child's chances for survival.

That is indeed the sort of thing I was speaking of , you made an important life decision based on your knoledge of evolution.
There is a distinct diffrence in the Theroy of Evolution and in Gravity , but in either case haveing scientific knoledge opens the potential for manipulation of result.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
If the scientific process you are speaking of is <observation> then Inteligant designis also based on scientific processes.

There is more to scientific process than just observation.

And when was a "creator" observed during the formation of the hypothesis of intelligent design?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

domer

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »
This is a major front in the now age-old war between religion and science. The question naturally posed is this: which explains reality as best as we can determine? The same was asked of Galileo's cosmology ...

At a certain level of abstraction, however, the question recedes in importance as the two modes of thought can be seen as compatible. Science in this day and age provides both the data and the theoretical structure to understand our world. Religion, to be relevant, can't ignore the findings of science, the very data of life as we know it, but must incorporate those findings (read: reality) into its own formulations. Once that is done for currently valid theories, then religion is free to impose a "super-explanation" based on a Prime Mover or however it is conceived.

Just don't call the religious formulation "science," and don't teach it in public schools.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »
Just don't call the religious formulation "science," and don't teach it in public schools.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, it can be taught in the public schools in a course on theology. I disagree with teaching it as science, however.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 04:25:14 PM »

We as a country have more church attendance than several countries that have state religions.
Not that this causes us to attend more, but I think it can't hurt.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 08:55:47 PM »

Now that is just entirely untrue.

There was no original "theorem", just a belief that the entire universe was created in a week around 400 BC.

Intelligent design is not a theorem, either. It is speculation, written as Biblical "research" is done.  The Bible is assumed to be true, then we are supposed to consider how this could possibly be true, considering all the evidence that evolution did, in fact, occur, but God was in charge of the entire process.

Evolution, as a scientific view, is always subject to research and elaboration. But intelligent design is not science nor even scientific.
No true scientist takes it seriously.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."