Author Topic: We're fucked  (Read 23767 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: We're fucked
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
The laziest parasite has a right to life, food, shelter and basic medical care.

Why?

crocat

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »

However, I did not mix up the concepts of "rights" with the earning of perks and rewards.  We tried to teach our kids respect for everybody's basic human rights, the "worthy" as well as the "unworthy."   Nobody has to "earn" basic human rights to life, food, shelter, medical care, dignity.  The worst criminal does not deserve to be tortured.  The laziest parasite has a right to life, food, shelter and basic medical care.  The most irritating bastard on the planet deserves to be heard.  Once you accept the principle that "rights mean nothing more than responsibility," you are starting down a trail where decisions will be made as to whose human dignity needs to be respected and whose does not. 

One of the problems that I see with judgmentalism is that it's too easy - - you see some panhandling bum on the street - - it's all too easy to see the negatives in the guy, but who can see the back-story?  - - the limited mental functioning, the early childhood abuse, the hopeless genetic hand he was dealt at birth, the fetal alcoholism syndrome, the beatings, the cruel or uncaring teachers, the perverted priests, the lack of just one caring person at some formative time who might have made a difference?   We don't really know each other, much less the "bum" we condemn in the space of a few seconds.

Boy of boy did you feel like Evil Kneival on that leap?

I was not talking about the other guys rights... I was speaking to my children about their rights, as I see my rights.  It is not my 'right' to do whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it.  It is not my right to kick back and let somebody else take care of me and my family because I have misunderstood my own responsibilities. 

I have never condemned anyone for having less than me, that said there are certainly times when I watch someone working harder at milking the system than actually trying to give themselves a hand up and not feel the need to bleed for them.

I am very confused about the last part about the poor babies being born to drunks and drug addicts.  I have no problem helping any of those children whenever I can.  (Though a thought here, those with fetal alcohol syndrome really are the walking dead.  Too bad they cannot find some reversal on that.    But I digress, liberals are all about the proverbial quick fix....pregnant and don't want it, abort.  Down on your luck, stick your hand out.  One thing about people that always do as you expect.   Sooner or later the training wheels have to come off and people have to learn to stand up for themselves.   I don't mind benefit programs as long as they are demanding that the benefactors are working hard at becoming self supporting.  I wonder if you have figures on all of those poor babies in comparison to the total dole figures.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
I do  not think that there will be any difference in the number of abortions whether Obama or McCain is president. If McCain is elected, AND manages to appoint one or more anti-choice judges, then they could conceivably overturn Roe vs. Wade, and that would throw the issue back to the states. That is, however quite a few ifs. A few states might outlaw abortions altogether, but most people would simply go to another state or have an illegal abortion.

The goal should begin at making birth control easier to obtain.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »
The goal should begin at making birth control easier to obtain.

How hard is it to obtain now?

Should they be sold over the counter (if they aren't already) , like condoms?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »

How hard is it to obtain now?

Condums are readily available. For the Plan B pill, a prescription is required.

First, you have to see a doctor. That would cost around $50 minimum. Then you have to buy the pills, which are also not cheap.

Should they be sold over the counter (if they aren't already) , like condoms?

Of course!

Cynthia

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
I have another student in my room who get no care! He's treated like a stray.

We, as teachers are the only ones who give the best care to that boy.

This time the village is the only thing he has!

If that is the case he should be in foster care.

The system will probably provide such care if the mother wasn't in the picture at all.

So, she comes home late from work, ignores the child overall....but becasue she is on the home site, what can be done?

Child protective services makes home visits, assigns a social worker, but that's about it.

In the meantime, the boy gets fed at school, sent to the nurse for clean clothes, and the teachers pick up the pieces for this child.

The system isn't perfect...and I doubt, from what I've seen that it will improve any day soon.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2008, 05:24:15 PM »
Your FACTS have the unvirtue of not being true.

Yea, you caught me, Xo.  I made up the quote Tenet went on record with.  I am actually the NIE as well as was the sole vote to authorize military action, that Bush used.  Yep, I'm so ashamed        ::)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
Finally!

You should be so ashamed of yourself!

crocat

« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
LOL at letting kids swallow pills sold over the counter that terminate births.....

30 years down the pike I can just see the poor me law suits.

Just like smokers dying of cancer.   

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
Finally!  You should be so ashamed of yourself!

I am, I am.  How dare I present incontrovertible facts that would decimate ones opinion of how evil Bush & Cheney are supposed to be.  50 lashes with a wet noodle
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:44:37 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2008, 06:40:52 PM »
For the Plan B pill, a prescription is required.

You are a shifty replier.

We are talking about birth control pills, not abortificants which is what plan b drugs are.

How hard to get are plan A drugs?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
I don't see a single thing wrong with over-the-counter sale of Plan B pills to anyone old enough to get pregnant in the first place.  The world is plenty over-populated as it is without adding unwanted children into the soup as well.  Anyone who thinks a collection of cells without a brain or a nervous system (which is about where the pregnancy is when Plan B terminates it) is a human being is wrong.  Period.  I know what a human being looks like, and it's not a round little microscopic ball of cells.

This seems to be a conversation of the deaf - - while I am talking about basic human rights like food and shelter, cro is talking about the "right" to do whatever one pleases, i.e., to damage public property, use the streets as a toilet, etc.  NO, cro, nobody has the "right" to use the streets as a toilet, damage public property or do anything else they please.  Let's get past that, the so-called "right" to do whatsoever one pleases is a straw-man, a "right" I never claimed for anybody - - the basic rights I am speaking of include a right not to be tortured, a right to food and health care and shelter.  BT asks, Why?  That 's easy - - because they're human beings and because I and millions more like me feel that way about them. 
Anyone who doesn't is a fascist, an enemy of the people.

You once again confuse perks, privileges, "extras" with basic human rights.  Perks etc. must be earned: there's no free lunch. You want an automobile, earn an automobile.  Basic human rights are just that - - basic.  They're built into each and every human being, factory-installed.  Nobody has to "earn" them and they're not conditional upon fulfillment of some arbitrary or mythical set of "responsibilities." 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2008, 07:02:03 PM »
That 's easy - - because they're human beings and because I and millions more like me feel that way about them

Then they are YOUR responsibility. I have my own people to take care of. Don't have the time nor the energy to take care of yours.

As far as the fascist remark, that just shows the bankruptcy of your argument. Demonize instead of reason with those who disagree.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »
I don't see a single thing wrong with over-the-counter sale of Plan B pills to anyone old enough to get pregnant in the first place.

Another unfocused reply. Are Birth Control Pills hard to get?

richpo64

« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »
>>Another unfocused reply. Are Birth Control Pills hard to get?<<

Just one example of FREE birth control & GYN exams:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/nassau-county/free-birth-control-and-gyn-exams.htm