Author Topic: Speaking of fantasy worlds  (Read 1892 times)

Mr_Perceptive

Re: Speaking of fantasy worlds
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 11:08:51 AM »
If they support groups that mean harm to the U.S., then they deserve what they should get and ARE at war with the U.S., albeit indirectly. If I train insurgents against you, the Phillippine government, even if I train them in Malta or anywhere else, then I am effectively at war with the Phillippines.

What groups are they supporting that mean harm to the United States?

How are they repressive?

You give rhetoric, with no specific facts.

I am speaking in the general context. IF Iran supprots a group that threatens to overthrow the U.S., thne they are effectively at war with us.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:45:27 PM »
If they support groups that mean harm to the U.S., then they deserve what they should get and ARE at war with the U.S., albeit indirectly. If I train insurgents against you, the Phillippine government, even if I train them in Malta or anywhere else, then I am effectively at war with the Phillippines.

What groups are they supporting that mean harm to the United States?

How are they repressive?

You give rhetoric, with no specific facts.

I am speaking in the general context. IF Iran supprots a group that threatens to overthrow the U.S., thne they are effectively at war with us.

You may well be, but the article in question speaks of it as fact. That was my point in asking the questions.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »
I have a big problem with this "They are at war with the U.S.A." bullshit or "they are killing American soldiers."

American soldiers in direct contravention of the Charter of the United Nations invaded Iraq and have killed up to 100,000 Iraqis.  They are aggressors, invaders and occupiers and as such are legitimate targets for any Iraqi with a rifle or any other kind of weapon.  Iran, as a neighbour, has as much right to fight for its neighbour as Canada had to send troops to Afghanistan to avenge the attack on its neighbour.  The kind of finger-pointing at Iran and its President as "killers of American troops" is absurd and totally non-productive.  They are not killing God's sweet innocent angels of mercy, they are killing the violators of international law and the mass killers of their neighbours and co-religionists.  Not to mention the torturers, rapists and murderers among them.  So if you want to talk about blood on hands, this is going to be one long, circular conversation.

Similarly wasteful and pointless to dwell on the tortures, murders, crimes and atrocities of the Iranian government.  They are what they are.  Nobody is innocent, least of all the U.S.A.

The guy made a lot of good points in his speech.  It's worthwhile to see what he can offer the U.S. and explore what the U.S. can offer him.  That way another endless disaster like Iraq might be avoided.  I hope if one lesson emerges from the encounter, it's one of tolerance and even humility on the part of the U.S.A.  Ahmadinejad had good answers to almost all of your questions.  When you people stop thinking you're better than everyone else and have great lessons to teach the rest of the world, you will be a lot better off and the world will be a lot better off.  Fact of the matter is that you are no better than anyone else and you should learn to listen respectfully to people whose ideas are very different from yours.  This was, all in all, not a bad start.