Author Topic: Looks right  (Read 11758 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looks right
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
There will be a fix. Social Security will be saved.

You will have to throw yourself face down on the grass and flaial about, but it will happen.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2014, 06:14:54 PM »
Riiiiight.  Right up there with we could keep our insurance and Doctor, if we liked them.    ::)    Well, at least we've finally got you on record as agreeing that without a "fix", SS will fail.  And it'll have nothing to do with Republicans, as you erroneously claimed earlier

Oh, here's a hint.....that 1% your so envious of, already pay half the taxes that support this country.  There's not enough of that 1% to fix SS.  Again, simple unsustainable mathematics
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »
They will raise the age at which people can collect SS and they will raise taxes.

This has already happened several times .

When the retirement age is high enough that only a few of us can hope to retire the problem will be solved , but don't call that success.

Taxes can be raised until this is no longer a wealthy country , this would cause a crash before it was complete.

People make it in this country DESPITE the Oligarchy, not because of it.

You know that the opposite has been tried.

For years China had an "Iron Rice Bowl" so that everyone had practically a right to eat.

And no wealthy at all.

This worked very poorly , even without wealth there was a ruling class , and even with a national right to eat there were gigantic famines.

Since it became legal to become wealthy the Chinese economy has done a lot better , but their politically powerful are the same class.

I get the impression that you consider wealth a drag on the economy , while it seems to me that wealth is the engine .

Since both styles of running things has been tried , the truth should not be so hard to derive from the evidence.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
Corporate profits are presently at an all-time high, higher than even at the end of the 1920's boom. The problem is not there is not enough money, the problem is that the all gain in incomer in productivity is going to a very few privileged individuals.

There is vastly more money in this country than is needed for ending all hunger and poverty.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
No, there isn't.  Not when this country is founded on Freedom.  You don't punish success in order to appease your conscience
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
Corporate profits are presently at an all-time high, higher than even at the end of the 1920's boom. The problem is not there is not enough money, the problem is that the all gain in incomer in productivity is going to a very few privileged individuals.

There is vastly more money in this country than is needed for ending all hunger and poverty.

This is a moving goal post.

How long has it been since you met someone with Pellagra?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 08:53:14 PM »
It is nice we no longer have leprosy as well.

There are countries with far less wealth where no one is poor and everyone has the education that they are able to attain.

Social Security will be rescued, watch and see.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »
  Modern medicine has reduced leprosy a lot .

Is there any vaccine against going broke?

I will wait and see because there is nothing else to do.

I am very skeptical that magical thinking can save Social Security, demanding resources does not produce resources.

The trends of decades have been steady, the maximum amount ever collected in taxes for Social Security happened during the Clinton administration, now we are on the other side of the bell curve.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Modern medicine has put Jesus to shame as a healer of lepers.
I recall my mother said that Jesus worked miracles and cured the lepers.
I asked, "What is a leper"?
She showed me in the Book of Knowledge.

I asked, "why have I never seen a leper begging at the gates of Kansas City? Who is working miracles on lepers now?"
I made her think a lot.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »
  So you think Jesus was a time traveler?