Author Topic: Obama and Hitler  (Read 11585 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama and Hitler
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 11:36:25 PM »
the best evangilists in the world are drinkers who want a drinking buddy.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 01:08:07 AM »
Evangelicals want you to believe in something it isn't real.

Says the man who claims a missile hit the Pentagon.

:D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 01:49:43 AM »

Actually, I would be considered an agnostic as far as a plane hitting the Pentagon.  Just as I lean wholeheartedly towards natural selection (lots of proof) and away from "god did it" (0.0 proof), I have seen little to no proof that a plane hit the Pentagon therefore, I don't want to make a leap of faith based on self-interested "eyewitnesses".

The time has passed when I could even be swayed to belief in a plane/pentagon scenario since lots of fake videos could have been created in the nearly 7 years since the event in question.

I arrive at a missile based on what I have seen.  A giant hole with bits of a plane that could have been carted in prior.  No wing section.  No tail section.  Doctored photos after the even.  Smells like conspiracy to me.

Basically you reject the science and embrace the conspiracy theory. You want people to believe something that isn't true: that the science of the matter is impossible. Some folks sell intelligent design as way of explaining away the theory of evolution, something they cannot accept. You sell a different sort of intelligent design as a way of explaining away the science of what you cannot accept.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Maccus Germanis

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 02:32:07 PM »
I'm not evangelical.  Evangelicals want you to believe in something it isn't real.  I don't want that.

The RBE isn't real.

Besides, American Heritage Dictionary:

evangelical
adj.

Characterized by ardent or crusading enthusiasm; zealous: an evangelical liberal.

Though such usage is common, I doubt that you'd intended to imply that Modern liberalism is ever about good news.

evangelist - lit. "bringer of good news,"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=evangelist

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 12:54:19 AM »

Welcome MG!

I'm not evangelical.  Evangelicals want you to believe in something it isn't real.  I don't want that.

The RBE isn't real.

Besides, American Heritage Dictionary:

evangelical
adj.

Characterized by ardent or crusading enthusiasm; zealous: an evangelical liberal.

Though such usage is common, I doubt that you'd intended to imply that Modern liberalism is ever about good news.

evangelist - lit. "bringer of good news,"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=evangelist

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »
5.   marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.

This doesn't apply?

Of course, it does apply.  That was exactly what I said.  My point was that you were cherry=picking from the definition.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 07:39:35 AM »
Of course, it does apply.  That was exactly what I said.  My point was that you were cherry=picking from the definition.

It's not "cherry picking" - it's called using words properly, according to definition. Since most words have more than one definition, if any apply, it's a proper use of the word.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 11:49:01 AM »
So, its a big deal if Obama's preacher says "God damn Amerika!" but its somehow impolitic or inappropriate to mention that the current pope was in the Hitler youth?

Come on now.  Fair's fair.

I'd say mentioning that is letting the catholic church off easy since it really should be shut down and half the people running it jailed for pedophilia and covering up for pedophiles.

Being in the Hitler Youth was not uncommon in the time, nor was it always a choice. The Pope is a good man and has made his views well known and public. I'd be far more concerned about the Italian right-wing who include some Fascists whose allegiance was freely chosen.

The Church has certainly been damaged by the pedophilia crisis, but one must be fair in observing it as well. The percentage of pedophilia priests was lower than that of the population as a whole. Moreover, this has been a problem in other churches as well, simply much less publicized. Still - that lets no one off the hook. The crisis is mainly in the American Catholic Church (though Ireland has had a problem as well). There are many controls in place now to prevent such a thing from taking place again.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
So, its a big deal if Obama's preacher says "God damn Amerika!" but its somehow impolitic or inappropriate to mention that the current pope was in the Hitler youth?

brassmass
the so called reverend wright said jesus damn america recently
the pope was a nazi over 60 years ago
you are insane if you think thats a close analogy
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »
I observe that the last four or five popes have been entirely against the death penalty.
Not one Catholic politician has been asked to renounce the Church because of this by pro-capital punishment opponents or pundits.
Pope Benedict is against 'consumer greed". How many mall managers have asked Catholic politicians to renounce him?

I think we can safely assume that no preacher is going to actually influence God to damn America, even if they play the sily tabe a bazillion times, and in stereo on Bose speakers.

However, capital punishment is clearly a life or death issue.
Consumer greed is what keeps every mall in America going.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »
I observe that the last four or five popes have been entirely against the death penalty.
Not one Catholic politician has been asked to renounce the Church because of this by pro-capital punishment opponents or pundits.
Pope Benedict is against 'consumer greed". How many mall managers have asked Catholic politicians to renounce him?

I think we can safely assume that no preacher is going to actually influence God to damn America, even if they play the sily tabe a bazillion times, and in stereo on Bose speakers.

However, capital punishment is clearly a life or death issue.
Consumer greed is what keeps every mall in America going.

Very good points XO

The recent Popes have not looked favorably on capitalism in general, at least the free market type that many espouse in the west.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
The recent Popes have not looked favorably on capitalism in general

If thats true then maybe Rome should send back the weekly collections from the US
and just depend on the donations from places like Sudan. Yeah like thats gonna happen.
Those that live in glass (gold plated) houses shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. (millions)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »

If thats true then maybe Rome should send back the weekly collections from the US
and just depend on the donations from places like Sudan. Yeah like thats gonna happen.
Those that live in glass (gold plated) houses shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. (millions)

*sigh*

Judging from that response it isn't even worth replying to this.

1. No one lives in a "gold-plated" house.
2. The Church doesn't take mandates on morality by those who donate more money than those who do not. It does not work that way, and will never work that way.
3. The Church recognizes the dangers of unfettered capitalism as well as over manipulation by a Government.

I'm appalled that you'd view Christian morality in this way:

"Those that live in glass (gold plated) houses shouldn't bite the hand that feeds."

That's disgusting.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »

*sigh*

Judging from that response it isn't even worth replying to this.

1. No one lives in a "gold-plated" house.
2. The Church doesn't take mandates on morality by those who donate more money than those who do not. It does not work that way, and will never work that way.
3. The Church recognizes the dangers of unfettered capitalism as well as over manipulation by a Government.

I'm appalled that you'd view Christian morality in this way:

"Those that live in glass (gold plated) houses shouldn't bite the hand that feeds."

That's disgusting.

The hypocracy is not the point , it is more likely ignornce than hypocracy anyway.

What excuses this ignorance? What is hidden form the churchmen that keeps them from knowing that their prosperity and the prosperity of the common man depends to a great degree on the freedom of the common man in commerce.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »
That's disgusting.

"Disgusting" may be a bit harsh, but that is closer to how I see your apparent "blind allegiance" to men.
The Pope lives in opulence while the world starves.
Normally I would never bring up the Pope's luxuries.
I love the Pope and think they do great good in the world.
But if the Pope is actually "hammering capitalism" then his life of luxury becomes fair game.

It's just a tad bit irritating to hear someone condemning capitalism while they build/have private
indoor swimming pools and live a life of every possible convenience primarily provided by capitalism.

Kind of like Reverend Wright "condemning the US and Whitey" while he builds a brand new mansion
in a wealthy "Lily White" gated community.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:11:05 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »