Author Topic: Who Would Jesus Vote For?  (Read 11805 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Who Would Jesus Vote For?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »
<<It all comes down to Faith, doesn't it?>>

Doesn't it really all come down to love?  God "loves" you but if you don't take His son as your Saviour, He'll fry your ass in Hell for all eternity. 

Sounds to me like you've got some serious internal inconsistencies to resolve, Professor.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »

I feel confident Jesus would vote Republican.

Given the hypocritical nature of the general Republican party's attitude toward power, I find extremely difficult to believe Jesus would vote Republican. No, I'm not saying Jesus would vote Democratic or even Libertarian. If I had to guess, he would not vote at all.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 07:06:34 PM »
Given the hypocritical nature of the general Republican party's attitude toward power, I find extremely difficult to believe Jesus would vote Republican. No, I'm not saying Jesus would vote Democratic or even Libertarian. If I had to guess, he would not vote at all.

==================================================
What anyone knows about Jesus consists of an assortment of things that four guys who may have not actually known him, wrote down or remembered decades after his death.

In the time between Jesus' death and the writing down of the various Jesus legends came three rebellions in which the Romans were defeated. Bar Kokhba was the last and was called the Messiah by at least some. The Romans eventually won and drove out all the rebellious Jews. After that the idea of a military messiah was pretty much abandoned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kokhba's_revolt.

Christians tend to ignore the entire historic background of the various Jewsih rebellions, because they were (a) Messianic, (b) failures, and (c) did not involve Jesus.

I would not go so far as to say that all those who fail to remember history are condemned to relive it, but I will say that they are condemned to remain stupid.

Jesus, at least the version of Jesus that has been agreed upon in years hence, did not admire any government, either of the Romans or the puppet Jewish government that the Romans used.

I don't see Jesus as any sort of defender of empire, which is what Iraq is all about: an imperialist war.

I don't see John McCain as any sort of Samaritan, either. He is really more of a Centurion type. An imperial warrior. Obama seems more like a Samaritan. So either Jesus would vote for him or would not vote at all, and leave the question of who rules up to God and God alone.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 08:15:44 PM »
<<What prevents Jesus from being accepted?>>

The historical record.  The Messiah is to usher in a time of peace, love and reconciliation and the universal love of man for God.  Jesus Christ ushered in an era of two thousand years of bloodshed, torture, war and the deliberate infliction of horrific violence on man by man on a scale that the world has never before seen.  THAT'S a Messiah?  Please.

Who said that the comeing Messia was comeing to usher in a time of peace, love and reconciliation and the universal love of man for God?

Seems like that would be hard to do without either a lot of force or a universal lobotomy.

Matthew 10:34 (New International Version)

34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
 35For I have come to turn
   " 'a man against his father,
      a daughter against her mother,
   a daughter-in-law against her motherinlaw?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 08:25:34 PM »
I'm not a Biblical scholar, but my understanding of the Jewish concept of the Messiah as laid out in the Old Testament was that his coming would usher in an age of peace and universal acceptance of God by the people of the world.  Which the coming of Jesus very obviously has failed to do.

Whatever Jesus said about bringing not peace but a sword, that's just Jesus talking, and we all know that Jesus was a false Messiah, so it's obvious that nothing he said could have any possible bearing on what the role of the true Messiah would be.  Although I gotta say, as a run-of-the-mill prophet, Jesus wasn't that bad - - when he said he was coming to bring not peace but a sword, that wasn't the half of it.  Since he graced our presence 2,000 years ago, there's been more gruesome, violent killing on an ever-increasing scale than the human race had ever before seen.  If Jesus had anything to do with the course of human events, he's brought more bloodshed, pain and suffering to this unfortunate planet than Hitler and Genghis Khan combined.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »
Since he graced our presence 2,000 years ago, there's been more gruesome, violent killing on an ever-increasing scale than the human race had ever before seen.

Ain't technology grand?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

ZoSo

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »
My Dominican gardener is named Jesus & he's voting for Obama.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 09:11:05 PM »
I'm not a Biblical scholar, but my understanding of the Jewish concept of the Messiah as laid out in the Old Testament was that his coming would usher in an age of peace and universal acceptance of God by the people of the world.  Which the coming of Jesus very obviously has failed to do.

Whatever Jesus said about bringing not peace but a sword, that's just Jesus talking, and we all know that Jesus was a false Messiah, so it's obvious that nothing he said could have any possible bearing on what the role of the true Messiah would be.  Although I gotta say, as a run-of-the-mill prophet, Jesus wasn't that bad - - when he said he was coming to bring not peace but a sword, that wasn't the half of it.  Since he graced our presence 2,000 years ago, there's been more gruesome, violent killing on an ever-increasing scale than the human race had ever before seen.  If Jesus had anything to do with the course of human events, he's brought more bloodshed, pain and suffering to this unfortunate planet than Hitler and Genghis Khan combined.

We have no idea what the world would have gone thru without Jesus , but "Peace on Earth " seems to have been secondary to his mission.

If a lot more of us were better at following Jesus advice to love our neighbor , more peace might result.

But his main mission was saving your soul ,which requires your co operation.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »
<<Ain't technology grand?>>

No doubt about it.  But if Jesus was really a god, technology couldn't stand in his way.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
<<We have no idea what the world would have gone thru without Jesus , but "Peace on Earth " seems to have been secondary to his mission.>>

Well, all I know is that the predictions of a Messiah to come included the notion that his coming would end strife and resistance to God on earth.  Whether or not that was his primary mission or not, that was the prediction.  Messiah arrival = peace on earth.  Jesus' arrival was NOT followed by peace on earth.  Ergo Jesus was not the Messiah.  Q.E.D.

<<If a lot more of us were better at following Jesus advice to love our neighbor , more peace might result.>>

And if pigs had wings they could fly.  But the fact is, we AREN'T better at loving our neighbour, which was the reason for a Messiah to come in the first place.  If we were already loving our neighbours everywhere, what the hell would be the use of a Messiah?  Especially for the Jews, whose souls were already saved when they entered into the Covenant, as long as they didn't breach it, e.g., by worship of false gods, e.g., Jesus.

<<But his main mission was saving your soul ,which requires your co operation.>>

see above.  Mine's already saved.  I kept the Covenant, or at least the essential parts of it.  Worshiping  Jesus would be the surest way to lose it that I can think of.  One single act of purporting to recognize Jesus as a god and that would be all it takes.  God, if there is one, wouldn't fuck around with someone who swears to a covenant, seals it in blood and then violates it by worshiping a mortal man as a god.  That would be the end of the road for Tee and maybe even Tee's progeny.  Because how could they follow the Biblical injunction "Honour thy father" if the father was an apostate?  They'd have to be kicked out of the Covenant too.  Become "animals without souls" like their father.  Who needs it?  Better to just stay away from all that Jesus bullshit and leave it to the people who have no Covenant to break.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »
 34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
 35For I have come to turn
   " 'a man against his father,
      a daughter against her mother,
   a daughter-in-law against her motherinlaw?

=========================================
Well, Jeez, what's the point.
How do you reconcile this with the Prince of Peace schtick?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 10:26:39 PM »
<<Well, Jeez, what's the point.
<<How do you reconcile this with the Prince of Peace schtick?>>

That's only half the problem.  How do you reconcile  him supposedly being a god and then getting crucified by a bunch of Jews?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Luke 19:26-27:  But I say to you, that to every one that hath shall be given, and he shall abound: and from him that hath not, even that which he hath, shall be taken from him. But as for those my enemies, who would not have me reign over them, bring them hither, and kill them before me. - Jesus
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »

Luke 19:26-27:  But I say to you, that to every one that hath shall be given, and he shall abound: and from him that hath not, even that which he hath, shall be taken from him. But as for those my enemies, who would not have me reign over them, bring them hither, and kill them before me. - Jesus

Now, now, that is out of context.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 12:02:30 AM »
What is the context, then?