Author Topic: Clinton supporters still not embracing Obama  (Read 11653 times)

Cynthia

Re: Clinton supporters still not embracing Obama
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »
BT, how do you know for a fact that Obama does not trust the public schools? Show me the clip, statement, please---- that states exactly those words..."I don't trust the public schools".

Why would Obama send his kids to private schools if he felt that public schools were up to the task?  Hell, the governor of my state (a Dem) sends her kids to public schools.

As BT pointed out, a person has a lot more credibility when the walk the walk.

I find that argument so weak. Walking the talk. When there are so many issues at hand in the system that need revised. Credibility comes from action- direct action to the problem/issue at hand. We will have to wait and judge  his or McCains credibility after the election. For now, I chose to trust, based on the spot on "points" Obama has made with regard to the problems in the ps arena.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
Does anyone seriously believe that McCain would send his kids to DC public schools, if he actually had any to send?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »
Does anyone seriously believe that McCain would send his kids to DC public schools, if he actually had any to send?

I don't think that anyone has said that McCain trusts public schools.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »

Which of course, the precise same query could be applied to Obama, and he does have kids......and chose NOT to send them to Public School

Speaks volumes on the "action" front, which is what Cynthis is apparently demanding
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2008, 04:55:15 PM »
I find that argument so weak.

I find your counter argument weaker.
Let's not examine his history vis a vis public schools.
Let's not look at his track record.

Let's just listen to his "spot" on remarks ( many of his statements have already been debunked) and choose to believe.

"All you need is trust and a little bit of pixie dust!" - Peter Pan

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »
I wonder how Senator Obama feels about proposals for a voucher system?

If he prefers priviate schools why shouldn't we all?

Must good educxation be a reservation of the rich and all the rest of us hav the right to a minimum?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ridley/liberal-fear-of-a-black-p_b_112211.html
Moreover, what scares the Old Schoolers is that Obama's potential election removes from them the victim stick with which they flog their diminishing relevance.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »

Must good educxation be a reservation of the rich and all the rest of us hav the right to a minimum?

=============================================
The best education will ALWAYS be more available to the rich, as will the bets of everything else. The solution is to do something to provide everyone with a decent income for the work they do.

This is why Sweden, Denmark, Japan, Taiwan, the Netherlands and several other nations are ahead of us in the number of scientists, engineers and other professionals: because they have more equitable incomes spread more equally among their people. After the first $300,000 or so one earns for year, there is nothing else that you can spend it on to live a more comfortable life.

The minimal acceptable education can still be adequate to the needs of the country and it's people, even though it does not seem to be now.

Part of the problem is the serious anti-intellectual attitude of the culture. Rapsters, musicians, actors and pro jocks are accorded far more respect than their talents or value to society merit.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2008, 02:04:36 AM »

=============================================
The best education will ALWAYS be more available to the rich, as will the bets of everything else. The solution is to do something to provide everyone with a decent income for the work they do.

This is why Sweden, Denmark, Japan, Taiwan, the Netherlands and several other nations are ahead of us in the number of scientists, engineers and other professionals: because they have more equitable incomes spread more equally among their people. After the first $300,000 or so one earns for year, there is nothing else that you can spend it on to live a more comfortable life.

The minimal acceptable education can still be adequate to the needs of the country and it's people, even though it does not seem to be now.

Part of the problem is the serious anti-intellectual attitude of the culture. Rapsters, musicians, actors and pro jocks are accorded far more respect than their talents or value to society merit.

Where I work we have a big bunch of engineers, half of them are imported.

Is this one sided? are a lot of well educated Americans heading overseas for work?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
Where I work we have a big bunch of engineers, half of them are imported.

Is this one sided? are a lot of well educated Americans heading overseas for work?

===========================================================
There are undoubtably some US engineers at work abroad. But there are far more foreign-born engineers in the US than vice-versa. Americans are not fond, it seems, of math and science to the same degree that students are in other nations. An MBA is a much easier degree to earn, and it generally places one closer to the money than an engineering degree normally does. Engineers do not normally run US companies, not even usually do they run engineering companies.

In education, this is similar to the phenomena that a vice principal is paid more than most teachers, even though a vice principal normally deals with students only one to perhaps a few at a time, and the teacher must normally deal with the entire class.

It is a pretty good description of one of the more serious defects in the American system.

There is more emphasis placed on winning a ball game in most US high schools than in winning the science fair prize.

We have no shortage at all of excellent fodder for pro sports. It would be better, however, if we recognized the need for engineers, scientists, and mathematicians as well as great teachers more.