Author Topic: I replaced my light bulbs  (Read 1444 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I replaced my light bulbs
« on: February 06, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »

BT had posited that perhaps the global warming faction might find more believers if they had a better marketing campaign.  I mentioned this to my wife to see what she thought of that and she agreed after a fashion.  She put forth that till "they" see that it is affecting them personally in a day to day fashion, "they" will never change their ways.

Her contention was that if their kids can still play soccer on green grass (no matter what it costs) and without having constant asthma attacks, "they" will never change or bother to admit that it is real, no matter how many polar bears they see drowning or ice flows breaking off the Arctic.

Being the superdooper great lady she is, she thought that it might behoove the global warmers who want to stop it to come out with day to day tiny ways that people can change and have impact without giving up their precious SUV's right off the bat.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Saturday morning on the Today Show, one of the guests I caught was Laura David.  She's the producer of An Inconvenient Truth.  (Also, she is the wife of Seinfeld creator and star of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David.)  She and (conservative) Campbell Brown went through three or four little things that Americans could do that, if we all did, would be the equivalent of taking X amount of cars off the road.

The first one they talked about was changing the light bulbs to the new corkscrew flourescent things which had a real name like "CPF's" or something but I can't remember it right now.  I had long been considering it and just never gotten around to it (especially since arch-conservative BT had already done it).

Another thing they talked about was getting some canvas bags to take your groceries home with.  I am working on doing that but I have to admit I'd fill silly doing it at first.  I hate those little plastic bags but I hate that we cut down trees to make the paper ones.  She equating this (if everyone in the US did it) to saving so many millions of trees.

But I wanted to talk about the bulbs.  I didn't do any research on them before I cut out with the wife and the boy to Home Depot on our Saturday morning errand running.  At HD, I was surprised to find out that there were like "daylight" vs "soft light" and there weren't all the normal wattages we see like 40 (I didnt' see these) or 75 (my fave).

I had prepared myself to see the prices but paying something like $40 for 16 bulbs was a little cumbersome but I felt good after doing it and isn't that all that matters?

WARNING:  We found the "Daylight" versions absolutely unbearable.  They're perfect for the porchlight or utility room or attic but they absolutely SUCK for inside or living spaces.  It is like straight flourescent light.  I put one in the bedroom because our color choices in there are pretty dark and my wife was aghast and said, "God, all that's missing is a low hum and blood everywhere and we'd have a scene from Se7en."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I replaced my light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »
LOL
I have one that's "Daylight." It is horrible!  I finally just used it as a porch light. It will wear out in about...5 years. 

I don't have canvas bags, but I do re-use the heavy Aldi's bags. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I've been trying for the past few years to get my family to switch to the fluorescent bulbs. They won't switch to lower wattage incandescent bulbs because they seem to be addicted to having as much light as possible. (I am amazed sometimes at the amount of light they claim they need to see.) So I've been trying to get them to buy the fluorescent bulbs, which, though more expensive, generally seem to last much longer. Long enough to be cost efficient in the long run, imo. The family is reluctant, but I've made some progress.

I tend to use the "soft white" bulbs, and I've found them to be quite good at lighting a room.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
uhm
walgreens sell three for $1.99
it`s not that much of a hardship
I only keep the regular bulbs for the stuff that can`t use the powersaver
and I use 40w for those

pwersave bulbs tends to explode on 3 switch lamps
I learned that the hardway
it fizzles then pop.
not a pretty sight.
also don`t last very long

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:21:45 PM »
Where i used 75 watt incandescents i use 100 fluorescent

where i used 60 watt incandescents i use 75 fluorescent.

Still saving a boatload of energy. Use them in ceiling fans too.

I have noticed that even though they turn on instantly they get brighter as they warm up.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:55:42 PM »
Do not install a floresent bulb in a fixture that has a dimmer.

Other than that, these things cause very few problems.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:41:29 PM »
Yeah, we've noticed that they get brighter.

We have a couple in lamps that are two settings and haven't had a problem yet.