Author Topic: Can the double standard get any more transparent?  (Read 1038 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Can the double standard get any more transparent?
« on: March 15, 2007, 12:23:15 PM »
Anyone want to point me to any news report that had calls for Clinton's AG, or anyone for that matter to resign or be fired, or that supoenas be launched in every direction, after Clinton fired......how many was it again?  90+ prosecuters??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panel OKs Subpoenas in Attorney Probe

By LAURIE KELLMAN
The Associated Press
Thursday, March 15, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The Senate Judiciary Committee Thursday cleared the way for subpoenas compelling five Justice Department officials and six of the U.S. attorneys they fired to tell the story of the purge that has prompted demands for the ouster of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

The voice vote to authorize the panel to issue subpoenas amounts to insurance against the possibility that Gonzales could retract his permission to let the aides testify voluntarily, or impose strict conditions.

The committee also postponed for a week a vote on whether to authorize subpoenas of top aides to President Bush who were involved in the eight firings, including political adviser Karl Rove, former White House Counsel Harriet Miers and deputy White House Counsel William K. Kelley.

The committee approved subpoena power over key Justice Department officials involved in the firings: Michael Elston, Kyle Sampson, Monica Goodling, Bill Mercer and Mike Battle.

Sampson, Gonzales' chief of staff, quit this week. Elston is staff chief to Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty and Mercer is associate attorney general. Goodling is Gonzales' senior counsel and White House liaison, and Battle is the departing director of the office that oversees all 93 U.S. attorneys.

Gonzales has said he would allow the aides still at the Justice Department to testify voluntarily. It was unclear whether Sampson would agree to tell his story without a subpoena.

The panel also approved subpoena power for six of the eight U.S. attorneys fired since December. The six, all of whom testified last week under oath before the House Committee, are: Carol Lam of California, Bud Cummins of Arkansas, Paul Charlton of Arizona, John McKay of Washington state, Daniel Bogden of Nevada, David Iglesias of New Mexico.

The subpoenas are a warning to the embattled administration to follow through on promises in recent days by Gonzales and Bush to tell the whole story of the firings, beyond the selected details that Associate Deputy Attorney General William Moschella revealed to the House panel last week.

"I want to obtain their cooperation and all relevant information," Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy said. "But I want people to know that if I do not get cooperation, I will subpoena, we will have testimony under oath in this committee. We will find out what happened."

Ranking Republican Arlen Specter said he would do the same thing if he were still chairman, but he cautioned against passing judgment on Gonzales and the aides before the facts are fully known.

"I agree that this committee should get to the bottom of this issue," Specter, R-Pa., said. "I would hope that we would do so with at least a modicum of objectivity."

Some senators have called for days for Bush to fire Gonzales.

Sen. John Sununu of New Hampshire on Wednesday became the first Republican to call for Gonzales' ouster just hours after Bush gave the attorney general, a longtime friend of the president, a vote of confidence.

"I think the president should replace him," Sununu said in an interview. "I think the attorney general should be fired."

Although some Republicans have been tepid in their support for the attorney general, Sununu was the first to go so far in the uproar over the Justice Department's firing of the attorneys and its response to congressional questions, plus a separate report that the administration abused its power to secretly investigate suspected terrorists.

The White House issued a curt response to Sununu's remarks.

"We're disappointed, obviously," White House spokesman Tony Snow said. A Justice Department spokeswoman refused to comment.

Speaking to reporters in Mexico before returning to Washington, Bush expressed confidence in Gonzales and defended the firings. "What Al did and what the Justice Department did was appropriate," the president said.

Still, Bush left himself room to sack the attorney general.

"What was mishandled was the explanation of the cases to the Congress," Bush said. "And Al's got work to do up there."

Gonzales, expected to meet with lawmakers this week, has been fending off Democratic demands that he resign over the ousters of the eight U.S. attorneys, which Democrats have characterized as a politically motivated purge.

"We want Congress to know, to understand what happened here," Gonzales said. "We'll work it out."

Yea, no hypocritical bias here
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Can the double standard get any more transparent?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:05:45 PM »
Can someone rationally explain to me the difference between the firings of these few prosecuters under Bush vs the 90+ that were fired under Clinton??  Domer perhaps? 

IIRC, I didn't hear a peep for calls of not just resignation of Clinton's AG, but not even calls for an investigation.  And no, Bush being a supposed idiot, worse president ever, a moron, lying that he lied us into war, dren like that isn't going to cut it.

What's the diff, outside of 1 has a D after his name, and the other has an R?  And FYI, the one with the D is the one who fired 90+
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Can the double standard get any more transparent?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 02:23:28 AM »
COVERAGE OF U.S. ATTORNEYS’ FIRINGS PROVES HYPOCRITICAL DOUBLE STANDARD OF THE MEDIA
Bush Fired 8, Clinton Fired 93, But Only Bush is News

Alexandria, VA – The top liberal media are extensively reporting on the Bush Administration’s replacement of eight federal attorneys in 2006, calling it a political scandal and relaying demands by Democrats for the resignation of U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. But this same liberal media treated the firing of 93 U.S. prosecutors by President Clinton and Attorney General Janet Reno in 1993 as largely routine, and did not fuel demands for Reno’s resignation.

This blatant double standard in coverage further confirms the fact that the top media in America are liberally biased and committed to promoting liberal Democrats and denigrating conservative Republicans. In reference to this liberal media hypocrisy, Media Research President Brent Bozell issued the following statement:

“The replacement of federal prosecutors, who are political appointees in the first place, happens with nearly every Administration yet the liberal media are treating Bush’s actions as some sort of shocking political scandal – poppycock! The Bush Administration fired eight—eight!—U.S. attorneys while the Clinton Administration fired 93 of them. The liberal media are screaming about Bush but, by and large, yawned about Clinton. The double standard is nauseating.

“The Washington Post says, Bush ‘Firings Had Genesis in White House.’ Well, so did the Clinton firings, but The Post called those routine. The New York Times has hyped the Bush and Gonzales story but completely ignored the Clinton-Reno firings. And so have ABC’s Good Morning America, ABC’s World News with Charles Gibson, and other top liberal media.

“The liberal media are promoting the agenda of liberal Democrats on this attorneys’ issue, and the double standard, the rank hypocrisy is evident for the world to see. This type of grossly slanted coverage only further erodes the credibility of the networks and the top newspapers.”

MSM Hypocrisy in full regalia