Author Topic: Affirmative Action Teleprompter  (Read 6679 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Affirmative Action Teleprompter
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
The country need not look any further than California, to see just how bad the left & their "well intentioned" policies can get, in ruining a state & economy.  A State that was once the beacon that nearly every other state wanted to be like. Now Companies, jobs, and the middle class can't get out fast enough

It scares me but I really don't want to move. We shall see what they do but I doubt it will makes matters any better. I can't even imagine or rationalize how and why Brown got elected along with the other Liberals that are charged with fixing the mess that they created. What kind of moron would have voted for Brown?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
A majority
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
The country need not look any further than California, to see just how bad the left & their "well intentioned" policies can get, in ruining a state & economy.  A State that was once the beacon that nearly every other state wanted to be like. Now Companies, jobs, and the middle class can't get out fast enough

It scares me but I really don't want to move. We shall see what they do but I doubt it will makes matters any better. I can't even imagine or rationalize how and why Brown got elected along with the other Liberals that are charged with fixing the mess that they created. What kind of moron would have voted for Brown?

What kind of job did Brown do as Mayor of Oakland?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »

What kind of job did Brown do as Mayor of Oakland?

I honestly don't know what kind of mayor he was but he's pretty much the same breed as what caused the mess we are in now and I believe one could trace back to his governorship as the beginning of all this wacky liberal stuff.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »
Here's the most important points to Brown
- He facilitated the state employees to Unionize
- The State unions, and their pensions plans can be seen as the biggest drain on the state's budget, and getting worse
- The State's unions threw everything behind Brown

Forget what he did in Oakland, which from what I hear was pretty bad.  Those bullet points above is everyine one needs to know, when watching this state sink more impressively than even the Titanic
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »
- The State unions, and their pensions plans can be seen as the biggest drain on the state's budget, and getting worse

Forget what he did in Oakland, which from what I hear was pretty bad.  Those bullet points above is everyine one needs to know, when watching this state sink more impressively than even the Titanic

1. How so?
2. He was Governor from 75 to 82 how is he responsible for what came after him?
3. Did you expect them to support Whitman?

But I see you will determine what information if any is needed to form an opinion re: Brown. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »

1. How so?
In 1978, Jerry Brown Signed The Dills Act, which gave Public Employees Collective Bargaining Rights which has since made them the most politically influential constituency in California.  Greater than even the CTA

2. He was Governor from 75 to 82 how is he responsible for what came after him?
Never said he was, merely he was the Dr. Frankenstein to the Union monster, that has largely led to the fall of this once great state.  And now the circle is complete

3. Did you expect them to support Whitman?
LOL....of course not.  Need to get that bread buttered.  Far more tax payers to soak.  Not enough of "the rich paying their fair share", to take care of them union pensions

But I see you will determine what information if any is needed to form an opinion re: Brown. 
What the frell??  Opinion was formed LONG ago, based on the current set of facts and reality, that permeates this state

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 11:57:09 PM »
re:1

Whitman?s ad suggests unions are backing Brown because he provided state employees with generous benefits while governor in the late 1970s and early 1980s. When asked back up this claim, the Whitman campaign said Brown signed into law the Ralph C. Dills Act, which gave public employees collective bargaining rights, and charged that the Dills Act "resulted in billions in unfunded pension liability." That?s not true. The state?s staggering pension problems stem from numerous actions that occurred long after Brown left office.

The state?s pension system has an estimated deficit of more than $500 billion, according to an April study by graduate students at the Stanford Institute of Economic Policy Research. That study cited three reasons for the state?s pension problems: risky investments (which hurt the state funds during the recent stock market collapse), inconsistent contributions (including skipping contribution payments in years when investment returns were high), and generous benefits. As for those benefits ? the heart of Whitman?s charge ? the study did not even mention the Dills Act as a factor. Instead, the Stanford students ? and others, including Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ? largely blame a bill (SB 400) signed into law in 1999, when Gray Davis was the governor.

Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, April 2010: In 1999 California passed Senate Bill 400 (SB400), substantially raising benefit factors and lowering retirement ages for public employees (see Table 3). Based on a National Institute on Retirement Security report, average monthly public pension benefits in California were $2,008 in 2006, the eighth highest nationwide.

Joe Nation, an economist who teaches public policy at Stanford University and who served as advisor on the study, called SB 400 ?a remarkably generous bill? that passed with overwhelming support at the time. The state Senate approved the bill 39 - 0, and the Assembly 70 - 7. A former Democratic assemblyman, Nation told us: ?SB 400 was a bipartisan failure. There is enough blame to go around, but you really can?t tie Brown to this specific law.?

Schwarzenegger also blames the 1999 law and has been negotiating with the state unions to roll back the benefits provided by that law. In a July 8 press release, the governor discussed the problems caused by the 1999 law:

Office of the Governor, July 8: California has long provided generous pension benefits to its employees, but in 1999, the legislature and Governor Gray Davis significantly and retroactively boosted benefits after being assured by the California Public Employee?s Retirement System (CalPERS) that doing so would not cost ?a dime of additional taxpayer money.? But since the passage of that legislation, taxpayer spending on pension benefits has skyrocketed by more than 2000 percent (nearly 3000 percent in the General Fund) while spending on University of California and California State University, parks and recreation and environmental protection has either declined or failed to keep up with inflation.

Yes, the unions are backing Brown and they and others are prepared to raise and spend millions on his behalf, according to the San Jose Mercury News. The paper said in a Feb. 10 article that California Working Families plans to raise $20 to $30 million and spend 70 percent of that on helping Brown?s campaign. But the Whitman ad goes too far when it seeks to blame Brown for the state?s current pension problems.

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/07/whitman-unions-swap-misleading-charges-in-ca/

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2010, 11:59:39 PM »
Yea....and?  I already said that Brown wasn't responsible for the Pension mess.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2010, 12:36:06 AM »
Yea....and?  I already said that Brown wasn't responsible for the Pension mess.

You certainly said and i quote "he was the Dr. Frankenstein to the Union monster"

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2010, 12:54:56 AM »
Yea,......and?  He was.  What part are you having problems with in this one??  Have you already made up your mind I mean something that I don't?....like that I really mean Brown was responsible for what the Unions have metastasized into, despie the fact that I've just made it clear....for the 3rd time, that he wasn't??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2010, 01:26:01 AM »
Yea,......and?  He was.  What part are you having problems with in this one??  Have you already made up your mind I mean something that I don't?....like that I really mean Brown was responsible for what the Unions have metastasized into, despie the fact that I've just made it clear....for the 3rd time, that he wasn't??

My understanding of Dr. Frankenstein was that he gave "birth" to the monster. Was that not your meaning?

The California State Employees Association and the State Employees Retirement Act were signed into law in 1931 by ... are your ready for this ... a Republican Governor James Rolph Jr.

Interesting guy, Rolph received considerable criticism for publicly praising the citizens of San Jose following the November 1933 lynching of the confessed murderers of Brooke Hart, while promising to pardon anyone involved, thereby earning the nickname, "Governor Lynch".

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2010, 02:28:41 AM »

My understanding of Dr. Frankenstein was that he gave "birth" to the monster. Was that not your meaning?

Rhetorically speaking, BINGO

The California State Employees Association and the State Employees Retirement Act were signed into law in 1931 by ... are your ready for this ... a Republican Governor James Rolph Jr.

And Brown signed the Dills Act, which gave Public Employees Collective Bargaining Rights (birth of the monster) which has since made them the most politically influential constituency in California.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2010, 03:15:11 AM »
They were given bargaining rights in 1931.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2010, 03:24:13 AM »
So you're trying to claim they were given bargaining rights......on top of their already existant bargaining rights?  Care to try again?  The act specifically grants state employees the right to belong to organizations that serve as their exclusive representatives in contractual negotiations over wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment.   Why would there need to be another bill signed, if they already had that??