Author Topic: Is Oprah a Racist?  (Read 2477 times)

Richpo64

Re: Is Oprah a Racist?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »
Ron Paul the great statesman proclaims the Union not worth defending, 9-11 an inside job, and Nazi money fine and dandy.

Now there's a guy the nuts can rally around.

::)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »

Ron Paul the great statesman proclaims the Union not worth defending, 9-11 an inside job, and Nazi money fine and dandy.

Last I checked, he had not said any of those things. So now you're just lying.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 05:07:42 PM »
if she`s afro-centric
she`s a dangerously naive one
remember that all girls school she opened in africa.
she never knew how commonly unsafe these schools are to children.
she will be hard pressed in making a safe school over there
what I just pointed out is racist,which mean it will not be addressed despite how dangerous it is to children.

I don't think it's racist. It's just a fact.   Women and girls are used and abused all over the world...is it sexist to say so?  It's a fact.  They're used more in areas where there is little education and men believe they can be cured of AIDS by having sex with a young girl (a virgin).
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 06:03:34 PM »
men believe they can be cured of AIDS by having sex with a young girl (a virgin).

ouch
that`s how touchy that subject is
I almost mention a article that a mob of men took over a girlschool just to have with sex them thinking it would cure them.
I was afriad I`m going too far on this matter.
I looked up this subject very scarey
south africa has the highest childsex abuse in the world.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 03:59:20 AM »
I shoud also say that our country doesn't help, because we do stupid crap like this:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/news-articles-press/politics-policy-issues/international-issues/africa-abstinence-13067.htm

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 04:06:38 AM »
Why is stating an obvious fact, that you can't get STDs if abstinent,  a stupid thing?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:09:58 AM by BT »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 05:21:02 AM »
State it by all means.  Then stress fidelity. Then teach about condoms, if you want to actually decrease AIDS. If that isn't the goal then only teach the first two.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 06:00:38 AM »
According to my limited research we are doing all three, including providing half a billion condoms to third world countries.

The main problem seems to be that we are treating a medical problem with political solutions.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 10:59:09 AM »
<<Why is stating an obvious fact, that you can't get STDs if abstinent,  a stupid thing?>>

It's stupid because it's largely irrelevant.  There are lots of "obvious facts" that can be stated, including the fact that everyone who died of AIDS would have died sooner or later anyway, that you can't get AIDS by fucking sea lions, and that changing religions should not materially affect your chances of getting divine protection from AIDS. 

Very few people on this planet are prepared to practice sexual abstinence any more than they are prepared to practice self-castration, so this particular "obvious fact" has virtually no relevance to anyone seriously interested in fighting AIDS or other STDs.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
We know why most people get lung cancer, but we still treat smokers.

We know why people get cirrosis of the liver, but we still dreak people who drink.

Abstinence is not any sort of valid program for preventing the spread of AIDS.

There is nothing wrong with teaching abstenence as PART of a program, but it is not enough to make it a useful program at all.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »
There is nothing wrong with teaching abstenence as PART of a program, but it is not enough to make it a useful program at all.

From what i have seen they are teaching all three.

And BTW the absolute best treatment for alcoholism is abstinence.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 04:28:34 PM »
From the link I posted:
[..........]
Most people reacted with enthusiasm last May when President Bush signed the Global AIDS bill into law. It seemed promising that the U.S. government had begun to take serious steps to combat the growing crisis of HIV/AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean. But for many people, that enthusiasm was short-lived.

News soon spread that as part of the legislation, a significant amount of money would be set aside specifically for abstinence-only education. Abstinence-only programs, which openly stigmatize and question the effectiveness of condoms, will receive one-third of the $15 billion that the U.S. government intends to spend over the next five years to fight HIV/AIDS abroad.

Much of the support for bringing abstinence-only education to Africa stems from a flawed analysis of Uganda's success in stopping the spread of HIV between the late 1980s and mid-1990s. Uganda employed what's been labeled an "ABC" approach to preventing HIV infections ? "A" for abstain, "B" for be faithful, and "C" for use condoms.

Essentially, the program used a combination of messages about abstinence, monogamy, and condom use to halt the spread of HIV, and the numbers suggest that it worked. At a time when most countries in the region experienced a dramatic rise in HIV infections, Uganda's HIV prevalence actually fell ? from a peak of about 15 percent of its population in 1991 to five percent in 2001.

Social conservatives in the U.S. have suggested that the "A" and "B" components of the program alone contributed to these positive results, ignoring the effect of increased condom use. Many even go so far as to imply that the promotion of condom use has actually increased HIV rates in Africa by encouraging young people to be more promiscuous. But these assertions are not supported by any facts.

Nearly all public health experts agree that a combination of behavioral changes in A, B, and C all contributed to Uganda's success in reducing HIV rates. And an analysis released by the Alan Guttmacher Institute in November 2003, A, B, and C in Uganda: The Roles of Abstinence, Monogamy, and Condom Use in HIV Decline, supports this general consensus. Specifically, the study found that between 1988 and 1995

* Fewer Ugandans were having sex at young ages.

* Levels of monogamy increased.

* Condom use rose steeply among unmarried sexually active women and men.

The report concluded: "Progress on the three components of the ABC approach contributed to bringing about and sustaining reduced exposure to HIV in Uganda. Development funds to combat HIV should focus on policies and programs designed to target all three prongs ? 'A,' 'B,' and 'C.'"

Even stronger evidence has emerged since the Uganda experience to suggest that an abstinence-only approach to HIV prevention is a dangerous one. A study published in AIDS in 2001, "Why Do Young Women Have a Much Higher Prevalence of HIV Than Young Men? A Study in Kisumu, Kenya, and Ndola, Zambia," found that in the regions studied, the risk of HIV was actually greater in those who were married compared with those who were unmarried, particularly for women younger than 25.

These findings confirm more than ever that an abstinence-only message for unmarried people is not sufficient to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS. Young women and men need access to comprehensive, medically accurate sex education that can save their lives. Sadly, Congress and the administration seem committed to continuing down the opposite path, both at home and abroad.
[........]

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
Which doesn't refute the fact that condoms and teaching about condoms is still going on.

And if 5 billion goes towards abstinence teaching then 10 billion goes to the BC prongs.

So again why is it stupid?

Seems you are getting exactly what you want.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 05:41:13 PM »
From what i have seen they are teaching all three.

And BTW the absolute best treatment for alcoholism is abstinence.

==============================================
I am all for them teaching all three, but when teaching does not work, than there is a much more expensive problem posed by treatment for lung cancer, cirrrosis, and AIDS S

There does not seem to be a deep biological ddrive in humans to drink or smoke: thses are acquired addictions. Sex, especially for the young, is a natural drive, and different from tobacco and booze.

I agree that abstinence from tobacco and alcohol are the best treatments.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."