Author Topic: Probing Abramoff ties to White House  (Read 1383 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Probing Abramoff ties to White House
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »
From the Wall Street Journal:

Justice Probes Abramoff Ties
To White House
By SCOT J. PALTROW
April 16, 2007; Page A7

The Justice Department's Public Integrity Section is investigating connections between disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff and the White House, a probe that may be affected by missing White House emails.

Lawyers involved in the case said that beginning more than a year ago, federal prosecutors and Federal Bureau of Investigation agents interviewed Mr. Abramoff and other cooperating witnesses at length about numerous contacts between Mr. Abramoff and White House officials, including presidential adviser Karl Rove.

One focus of the Justice inquiry has been whether Mr. Abramoff obtained official favors in exchange for giving Bush administration officials expensive meals and tickets to sporting events and concerts. The White House has denied this.

Disclosures last week that large numbers of Mr. Rove's White House email messages and those of other White House officials were erased and possibly permanently lost raised concern on Capitol Hill about possible destruction of evidence relevant to the Abramoff-White House inquiry.

People with direct knowledge of the investigation say that all of Mr. Abramoff's email correspondence was preserved and turned over to prosecutors, including those with the White House. But it isn't clear to what extent Mr. Rove and others in the White House may have exchanged messages among themselves, or with others outside, pertaining to Mr. Abramoff, and whether any of these may have been erased. The White House didn't respond to requests for comment.

Separately, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has been looking into Mr. Abramoff's links to the White House, and a spokesman for committee Chairman Henry Waxman said the congressman is concerned that lost emails may hinder the committee and Justice Department inquiries.

Nonpartisan watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Government, or CREW, which last week disclosed that millions of emails may have been deleted from White House servers, also noted possible impact on the Abramoff investigations.

In October 2006, the then Republican-controlled House Government Reform Committee issued a report that Mr. Abramoff and his associates had more than 400 lobbying contacts with the White House, including at least 10 meetings with Mr. Rove, from 2001 through March 2004.

It hasn't been clear until now that the Justice Department followed up with its own inquiry into the disclosures.

Lawyers for several cooperating witnesses said they don't know if the lengthy questioning of their clients about White House ties to Mr. Abramoff have led prosecutors to any conclusion about whether criminal violations occurred. A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment on the pending Abramoff-related investigations.

One individual debriefed at length by prosecutors and the FBI about Mr. Abramoff's White House relations is Susan Ralston, who was Mr. Abramoff's executive assistant before taking on a similar job for Mr. Rove at the White House. She resigned her White House job in October 2006 after disclosures that she had been the main go-between for the two men.

Ms. Ralston's lawyer, Bradford Berenson, said she is a cooperating witness and not a target in the case. He confirmed that she has answered questions about Mr. Abramoff's involvement with the White House, adding, "She's been interviewed numerous times by investigators looking into all aspects of the Abramoff affair."

Mr. Abramoff pleaded guilty in January 2006 to conspiracy to bribe public officials, including a member of Congress and several congressional staffers. He was sentenced to prison and, as required by his plea agreement, he has cooperated extensively with prosecutors.

Several former Abramoff associates who have pleaded guilty in related cases and are cooperating also have been questioned by prosecutors about Mr. Abramoff's ties to the White House.

Write to Scot J. Paltrow at scot.paltrow@wsj.com

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117668592739670828-NtqMNcTNQjBgap7BI5jhmnL_xXM_20070423.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

modestyblase

Re: Probing Abramoff ties to White House
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »
Have they subpoena'd computers yet? If not, why?

Unless they erased hard drives per DoD measures, some of the emails should be retrievable.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 02:34:41 PM »
Hope all concerned have current fishing licences.

I understand some waters around DC are designated catch and release.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
modestyblase,
I don't think so, and I want them to do that, tout de suite. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

modestyblase

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »
Well, since WE THE PEOPLE own their effing computers, WE THE PEOPLE need to demand this action.

I'll be emailing, faxing, and mailing my representatives today, and surrounding ones at that(whole lotta good that will do, given that I'm in Dallas  ;D ). I hope you & others will do the same.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
I'll be emailing, faxing, and mailing my representatives today, and surrounding ones at that(whole lotta good that will do, given that I'm in Dallas  ;D ). I hope you & others will do the same.

Yeah, all those Democrats don't give a damn, do they?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

modestyblase

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
In the spirit of refraining from presumptions, what democrats? my newly blue city, or the blue bloods(har har)in the forum?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »
In the spirit of refraining from presumptions, what democrats? my newly blue city, or the blue bloods(har har)in the forum?

Sorry, had Dallas confused with Houston.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

modestyblase

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »
In Dallas, most of the blue lines were crossed due to attorneys campaigning for Judges that would $rule$ $in$ $their$ $favor$.

I'm unfamiliar with Houston's political scene. I hear about it, but sort of filter it out.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 01:18:32 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with Houston's political scene. I hear about it, but sort of filter it out.

Daughter's boyfriend lives in Houston, so I hear about it as well.