Author Topic: Rah, rah, Ron Paul?  (Read 8448 times)

Richpo64

Re: Rah, rah, Ron Paul?
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »
>>One is reminded of Juniorbush ... <<

Also of Al Gore.

Seriously, are we really going to go Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton? Is this what we've come to? Well, I'm not insinuating the left really thinks about much other than waterboarding President Bush, but aren't there some real Democrats out there who love their country and aren't empty suites? Granted, the Republican field could be beefier, but Mrs. Clinton, B. Hussein Obama, and John "Con" Edwards? Is that really the left's best and brightest? Wouldn't a guy like John F. Kennedy (minus the Clintonisms) be refreshing? Oh wait, there was someone like that in the democrat party, Joe Lieberman, but he didn't hate President Bush enough so they water boarded him.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »
Waterboarding Juniorbush, then waterboarding Lieberman.

You seem to have a knack for exaggeration.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

Redo the money and tax system, and all that stuff, not good. But to him it's like really really important. I don't think that is what the country is crying for right now, it's just not even on the list. The long list.
We have some bad problems facing us. I don't think he is able to view them clearly. I think he's focusing on some far-off mountains, and isn't looking at the sheer cliff the country is about to go over (my view).

I'm not sure why everyone seems to assume Ron Paul is going to spend his first day in office trying to restructure the entire government. Yes, he'll work to make changes, but he's not a fool. Being a member of Congress for 10 terms, Ron Paul has, I am certain, a grasp on what sort of struggle he would have ahead of him.

I realize everyone picks on the gold standard stuff and eliminating the I.R.S. stuff, but Ron Paul does think about other things. Check out his website. (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/) Look at the Issues section. He talks about health care, the environment and racism, amongst other things.

I also realize there is probably nothing I can say that will persuade you to vote for Ron Paul. I'm not saying you have to like the guy, but cut the guy some slack already.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2007, 11:27:24 PM »
In Paul's 10 terms in congress has he introduced and had passed any significant legislation that actually changed things?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2007, 11:54:51 PM »
In Paul's 10 terms in congress has he introduced and had passed any significant legislation that actually changed things?

Yes.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2007, 12:28:05 AM »
Yes.

What?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2007, 12:39:19 AM »
No, it's NOT too late. People are still receiving their SS, and the government has bonds that are redeemable for future SS payments.

This crap about how it's all over is just crap.

Whoever was president when they stopped paying SS or said  "too late" would be thrown out on his butt, and deservedly so.

It is too late already.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2007, 12:54:50 AM »
Yes.

What?

Well, one of the more recent examples was an amendment to a bill that barred surveillance on peaceful First Amendment activities. There are a number of others. He was named one of the 50 most effective legislators by Congressional Quarterly for a reason other than "does nothing."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 03:04:25 AM »
Attached it to Patriot Act II.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2007, 04:21:21 AM »

Yes. Apparently you overlooked yet another inconvenient (to you) paragraph at the Wikipedia page on Ron Paul.

Paul sponsors many more bills than the average representative, such as those that would abolish the income tax[66] or the Federal Reserve; many do not reach the House floor for a vote. Nevertheless, he has been named one of the "50 Most Effective Members of Congress" by Congressional Quarterly.[67] He has sponsored successful legislation to prevent the Department of Housing and Urban Development from seizing a church in New York through eminent domain, and a bill transferring ownership of the Lake Texana dam project from the federal government to Texas.[30] By successfully amending other legislation, he has also barred International Criminal Court jurisdiction over the U.S. military (2002), American participation in any U.N. "global tax" (2005), and surveillance on peaceful First Amendment activities by citizens (2006).      
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2007, 04:38:57 AM »
I am certainly impressed with his uncanny ability to attach riders to bills that don't have a snowballs chance in hell of failing.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »
It is too late already.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
In your mind, you have been convinced of this, against your own interests.

I suggest you persevere in this attitude by never locking your doors and leaving the keys in the ignition as further signs that you have given up.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
It is too late already.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
In your mind, you have been convinced of this, against your own interests.

I suggest you persevere in this attitude by never locking your doors and leaving the keys in the ignition as further signs that you have given up.

Giveing up on Social Security has led me to invest in real estate.

I Imagine that there are a few people still on the Titanic who never gave up on it.

The only way to beleive in the solvency of Social Security is to avoid examineing it closely

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
Giveing up on Social Security has led me to invest in real estate.
===========================================
If that was commercial real estate, this was wise.

If you bought residential property, unless you did it over a years ago, you probably blew it.

If you bought it with an ARM mortgage or a balloon payment, it is even more likely that you blew it.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »
I can't remember a time when Tim Russert has ever questioned another Republican candidate as harshly as he questions Ron Paul here.  You'd think he never hosted a candidate who put earmarks in bills. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvuFdJXLaGg
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.