Author Topic: Concertgoer Throws Drink at Streisand  (Read 7266 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Concertgoer Throws Drink at Streisand
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »
Nov 1, 12:53 PM (ET)

SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) - The funny girl wasn't laughing. Barbra Streisand had a drink lobbed at her Monday after a mid-concert skit poking fun at President Bush.

Streisand's publicist, Dick Guttman, said a paper cup filled with some sort of liquid was thrown on stage but apparently did not hit Streisand during her second performance in this Fort Lauderdale suburb.

Streisand's manager, Martin Erlichman, said she shrugged off the incident and responded to the angry audience member by saying: "It's a free country and they're entitled to express their opinion."

It's at least the third time the skit, which includes a George W. Bush impersonator, has angered Streisand's audience. A heckler targeted her at the Philadelphia opening of her 20-city comeback tour, Guttman said, and Streisand made headlines with her response to a jeerer at Madison Square Garden last month.

Erlichman said Streisand, 64, believed the skit was in good fun and noted impersonator Steve Bridges, who wrote it, is a Republican.

"This skit has been so massively covered by media, it's impossible that it still could come as a surprise to any of the Bush admirers who bought tickets," Erlichman said.

Despite the controversy, Erlichman said the skit would remain a part of the tour.

"It stays in the show except for the few performances where Steve has a conflicting commitment," Erlichman said.

Streisand, an outspoken liberal, is touring the country after a 12-year absence from the stage, offering fans a repertoire of her four decades of hits.

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Concertgoer Throws Drink at Streisand
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:15:42 PM »
What I find peculiar is that there are a lot of rants and raves aimed at people like Streisand, Clooney, Fonda, and the Hollywood directors and producers.

Yet, no one does more for them than Republicans. I bet Barbra, Clooney, Fonda, George Lucas, Spielberg, and so forth have enough money to benefit greatly from cutting taxes on the wealthiest Americans. Unlike most Americans, especially the working Americans that appear in so many political ads, these guys actually do have enough to benefit from removing the inheritance taxes. They may own enough homes and around the country and investments to worry about capital gains taxes and appreciate the cut your politicians gave them.

So, in an interesting way, the Republicans use Hollywood to satisfy their base while Hollywood uses them to drum up support for their social causes. Yet, when all is said and done, they are really good for one another.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:19:11 PM »
Unlike most Americans, especially the working Americans that appear in so many political ads, these guys actually do have enough to benefit from removing the inheritance taxes. They may own enough homes and around the country and investments to worry about capital gains taxes and appreciate the cut your politicians gave them.

What? You mean they don't put their money where their mouth is? They don't voluntarily pay the tax rate they advocate for other wealthy people?

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:25:18 PM »
What? You mean they don't put their money where their mouth is? They don't voluntarily pay the tax rate they advocate for other wealthy people?

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

In the same token, the people who rant and rave against them don't do anything but give them tax cuts. In other words, "I hate what you are doing and the horrible, vile filth your industries in Hollywood are producing. Here's more money."

After all, Barbra Streisand deserves a tax cut because she will invest more of her money back into the economy... <sarcasm>
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »
After all, Barbra Streisand deserves a tax cut because she will invest more of her money back into the economy... <sarcasm>

Well, since all taxpayers got a tax cut, Barbara got one as well. Hers was just a side-effect, it wasn't targeted at her. She got one for the same reason as I got one. Hers was larger because she pays more taxes to start with.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 04:29:18 PM »
Yet Hollywood moguls will come out rather well, difficult to argue with that.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 04:30:35 PM »
Yet Hollywood moguls will come out rather well, difficult to argue with that.

And, in general, they will continue to make movies. Which employ a lot of people.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 04:36:15 PM »
So why haven't Republicans done anything to restrain the "Hollywood elite?"

I think you'll agree that, at least a large group within the GOP has certainly isolated and attacked these people in Hollywood repeatedly.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 04:43:56 PM »
So why haven't Republicans done anything to restrain the "Hollywood elite?"

Why should they? They have free speech rights, don't they?

I think you'll agree that, at least a large group within the GOP has certainly isolated and attacked these people in Hollywood repeatedly.

Ditto for Democrats and people who own and run various large corporations. Did the Democrats do anything to restrain corporations during the 40+ years they held power recently?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »
Why should they? They have free speech rights, don't they?

Because a portion of the Republican Party expects them to. The GOP politicians certainly pander to it as well.

The Bible tells us the God of this world is the devil. The influence of Satan is the reason 90 percent of the press and Hollywood elite are liberals who vote exclusively for the Democratic Party. The one-minded eagerness of the left to influence the electoral process should act as a warning sign to the conservative base of this nation.

You can be a perfectionist and find a hundred things wrong with the Republicans. It is serious error to try compare a floundering friend to a deadly enemy.

Human government never will be able to solve the world's problems. There never will be true peace until the Prince of Peace establishes His Millennial Kingdom. That understood, until the Lord Jesus comes for His Church in the rapture -- presuming both major political parties in America continue to hold to their present party lines -- it is the view of Rapture Ready that Republican values are America's best political option.

Link
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 04:58:09 PM »
Because a portion of the Republican Party expects them to. The GOP politicians certainly pander to it as well.

I can find quotes from members of the Democratic Party that indicates they think certain people should have their rights removed as well. That doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »
I could care less. I'm not here to advocate for the Democrats. Have at them.

I just find it humorous that a lot of Republicans loathe these "Hollywood elites," yet they are the ones who basically do nothing but offer them financial largesse.

"Here's your massive tax cut Ms Streissand, but I still hate you. When you sell some of your vacation homes to purchase a new one, you'll not be taxed as much. I'll grumble louder the next time I see you."

Ha!
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »
I just find it humorous that a lot of Republicans loathe these "Hollywood elites," yet they are the ones who basically do nothing but offer them financial largesse.

And the Democrats did the same things when they were in power.

It's called politics.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:47:11 PM »

"Here's your massive tax cut Ms Streisand, but I still hate you. When you sell some of your vacation homes to purchase a new one, you'll not be taxed as much. I'll grumble louder the next time I see you."

Ha!

This is easily explained.

Democrats feel resentment twards Republicans because they have more money.

Republicans do not envy Democrats who have more money.

If you are the Envious type , you will want to join the Democrats.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
I have got to express disapointment with the fan who threw the cup of water at B. S.

This is an improper behavior , I am forced to be disaproveing because I was disaproveing of the same thing when the projectile was a pie and the target was Ann Colter.

One of these days one of these flingers will be intercepted by an overzelous body guard , or some threating person will use a pie throw to disguise a more onimous wepon , every one who indulges in this ought to spend the rest of the night chained to the wall.

ON the other Hand if Barbra Striesand were to challenge Ann Colter to a Pie Fight in the style of Laurel and Hardey , I would pay to see it , what a great fundraiser that could be!