Author Topic: Some Political Ruminations  (Read 12024 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Some Political Ruminations
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2008, 12:06:21 AM »
Who but the administrators and teachers "teach to the test" and adjust curriculum to game the system?

What is their motivation?

Why does recognizing that fact indicate bias?

Cynthia

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2008, 01:06:03 AM »
Who but the administrators and teachers "teach to the test" and adjust curriculum to game the system?

What is their motivation?

Why does recognizing that fact indicate bias?

The "tests" don't reflect what has been taught, first of all.

The motivation of the teachers in Bush's State of Texas to teach and cheat to the test was all about fear.

Recognizing what fact?
 The fact that the companies who produce such tests, mandate the curriculum at large?

IT's the Universities and Colleges that have to adjust their techniques when it comes to providing young teachers with the skills to teach....that I am concerned about.

Where are they in this scenario?

Bias?

If you are told that child (a) must know fact (1) by day 100......you should be given the proper assessments to test that child and thus drive the instruction for that child to reach that goal.

The way it is now......the assessments don't connect with the curriculum and the results are practically invalid...at least they would be invalid if those points were votes!

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2008, 01:22:45 AM »
Much more important to be sure we spend eight billion dollars or so a month on a war in Iraq than on fixing problems in the educational system.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2008, 01:54:50 AM »

The war has nothing to do with nclb.

Why not? A world history class should cover Greece and Rome. Does the test also cover this?

the motivation of the teachers in Bush's State of Texas to teach and cheat to the test was all about fear.

What does that have to do with discussing your situation in NM?

The fact that the companies who produce such tests, mandate the curriculum at large?

Do they? Give examples. Is a sample test available online?

If you are told that child (a) must know fact (1) by day 100......you should be given the proper assessments to test that child and thus drive the instruction for that child to reach that goal.

The way it is now......the assessments don't connect with the curriculum and the results are practically invalid...at least they would be invalid if those points were votes!

If Greece is covered in chapter 3 i would suspect that questions about Greece are valid on the test. Is this not the case?

Why not just teach fact(1) to kid (a) before day 100?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 11:27:20 AM »

Perhaps not directly, though the money spent on the war could be better used to fund NCLB, or a variety of other programs. But you knew that was the point of my comment to begin with, didn't you?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »
I think the point he was making, H, is that just becuase you spend all these funds on Iraq, does not automatically means those funds will go towrd enhancing our educational system. Maybe another rebate?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:36:50 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
Which was why I said 'or a variety of other programs'.

Whatever it would be used for, it's about $100 billion a year that could be used for something to benefit the American people, rather than keeping troops in Iraq for the the next umpteen years. Actually funding education programs might be a nice place to start, but you just know whatever money was saved, the politicians - from either party - would find pet programs to waste it on.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »
Perhaps I am becoming more cynical, but you see it wouldn't beneift the American people any because they will allocate it foolishly, as normal...sigh.

So, different tact: H, did I "hear" you say you drove an 18-wheeler? What was that life like?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:09:55 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2008, 03:09:08 PM »
I did, for a couple of years, until I had to come off the road for medical reasons.

I drove over the road, to 48 states and Canada. I would be out 6 to 8 weeks at a time, and home for a week or so, then back out. Usually I drove solo, though a couple of times they convinced me to take someone on for a few weeks for training. My wife stayed home and worked at her own job.

The first winter (2002), I ended up going back and forth across the northern US all winter. Drove a tractor trailer in a blizzard for the first time going into Cincinnatti, got snowed in in Laramie, Wyoming once and at Donner Pass twice, once in Reno and once on the California side, and got snowed in at Tehachapi in California. I finally got them to let me run down south the next spring. Most company drivers will run 2000-2500 miles a week, and make (at the time) $600 to $750. I ran 3500-4500 miles a week and made considerably more. Owner operators generally try to get as many miles as possible, and get paid more per mile, because they have truck payments, insurance, maintenance and fuel costs, etc. I drove a company truck, so the trucking company handled all that.

Some drivers will use two or even three log books at a time to run as many miles as they can. I did  it all with one log book - I refused to use two, because if you get caught with two log books, the fines start at about $2500, plus they can pull you off the road for 24 hours to a week, which means you aren't making any money. I might have driven a couple hours longer than the law allowed a time or two in order to get my miles in for the day, but my logbook was legal.

Any time my truck needed repairs or maintenance, I called the dispatcher and arranged to have it done at the next truck stop, or to have the truck towed if necessary. I actually only had to do that once, outside Tucson, and spent a three-day weekend there while it was being repaired. The company reimbursed me for the hotel and meals, and I rented a four wheel drive truck and headed for the desert. Monday morning the shop called and said the truck was ready, so I turned in the rental (I recommend Enterprise - they pick you up, and take you back to where you need to go when you drop off) and got back on the road.

If my wife hadn't been working, she could have gone with me, or even gotten her CDL and been a co-driver. Solo drivers, at the time, might make .30 a mile on average. Team drivers would make maybe .20 a mile. They make less per mile, but they can make more total. As an example, I could drive ten hours solo at 60 miles an hour and make $180. A team could make 600 miles in ten hours, then the next driver would take over and make another 600 miles in his ten hours; both drivers get paid for the total mileage, so they would both get $240. A disadvantage, for me, is finding someone I can stand to live with in the confines of a sleeper cab, and I can stand to work with.

Of the times they sucked me into taking on another driver for training, once it worked out really well, and once I could have killed the dumbass they stuck me with, and the rest were somewhere in between. I preferred driving solo.

We didn't have to touch freight. Most of our trailers were pre-loaded, which meant we pulled onto the yard - say at a Wal-mart distribution center - and dropped off an empty trailer, then picked up a trailer that was already loaded, checked the paperwork, and got on our way. At the receiving stop, we'd drop the loaded trailer, get an empty, and head for our next pickup. Sometimes we'd have to actually back in to a loading dock (horrors!) and wait while they loaded our trailer or unloaded it. If the customers didn't have their own people to load or unload, we had the option of hiring lumpers to do it at a reasonable fee, paid for by our company, which billed the customers; or we could do it ourselves, for a $75 flat rate. Basically, I refused to touch freight. Twice I pulled into places that told me I had to unload the trailer myself. The first time, with a load of boxed apples from Washington state, the receiver was upset because they were on the wrong type of pallets, and told me his people would not unload them, and they would not let me hire lumpers. No one had said anything to me about special pallets, and it wasn't on my shipping order, so I told him they could either unload them or I'd take them to a local flea market and sell them for $5 a box and pocket the money. He got pissy about it, so I told him fine, clear everybody out of the loading docks on either side of mine and I'd unload his damned apples. He asked why I needed everyone to clear out, and I told him I was going to pull out about a hundred feet out into the yard, then put the truck in high reverse, and when I hit the dock I'd unload his apples all at once. They unloaded the apples.

The second time, I had a load of some sort of commemorative plates and dishes for some promotion AAFES (the military PX system) was running. I just pulled out away from the dock and closed the trailer doors and padlocked them. They asked what I was doing and I told them I was heading for the nearest flea market. That was all it took for them.

There are times it's hard work, and it can be cold, or hot, or wet, or just plain damned miserable. You miss being home with the wife, and traffic can be a pain in the ass, and some shippers and receivers can be total pricks, but if driving and meeting people is something you enjoy, it's great. I loved it. I set my own schedule, and built a reputation for getting my loads in on time and running my ass off. That way, when I told my dispatcher I'd like to layover somewhere for a day or so, or asked if he could schedule me a run to someplace in particular, he was a lot more willing to work with me than he would be with some driver who was always late or only ran enough miles to get a paycheck.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:26:17 PM by hnumpah »

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
Fascinating, H. Thanks. I have never done that, so it is fascinating to hear of a lifestyle so different than my own.

I know some folks who are in a group out to help out truckers, see http://www.associationofchristiantruckers.org/links/index.shtml.

They also have fascinating stories to tell. It can be an interesting life, as you have also indicated. After a while, it though gets to you, doesn't it? Plus, being away from home might be difficult on marriages, so I bet the divorce rate is probably pretty high.

And, it is hard on the body. Were alot of your colleagues experiencing this as well?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:48:02 PM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
After a while, it though gets to you, doesn't it? Plus, being away from home might be difficult on marriages, so I bet the divorce rate is probably pretty high.

It didn't really bother me. My wife and I are both ex-military, plus I used to work as a field engineer, which sometimes took me away from home for a while. For us it wasn't a problem. I did run into a lot of drivers who had been married and divorced, though.

And, it is hard on the body. Were alot of your colleagues experiencing this as well?

Wasn't hard on me, not in the sense that I was beating myself up with a lot of physical labor. What was hard on me was keeping up with my meds. I didn't have a regular schedule, so taking my meds on a regular schedule didn't work. You also don't eat regular meals, though you can eat reasonably healthy meals if you try. Truck stop food and snack food while you're driving aren't the greatest things in the world for you. I ended up having to quit driving when it got to the point where my diabetes got out of control and I had to go on insulin. You can be a diabetic and drive as long as you are taking oral meds; once you go on insulin, you can't pass a DOT physical and drive interstate anymore.

...associationofchristiantruckers...

Trying a little proselityzing there? I appreciate the thought, though.

Cynthia

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »

Why not? A world history class should cover Greece and Rome. Does the test also cover this?

the motivation of the teachers in Bush's State of Texas to teach and cheat to the test was all about fear.

What does that have to do with discussing your situation in NM?

Do they? Give examples. Is a sample test available online?

If Greece is covered in chapter 3 i would suspect that questions about Greece are valid on the test. Is this not the case?

Why not just teach fact(1) to kid (a) before day 100?

Bt,

Once again, I just spent a chunk of time replying to your post here, and with a sudden click of a button, it all disappeared. Damn.

Ok...well, let me try to get all of that hard work out in a nutshell...

The tests we give do not align with the Math programs overall. Currently, that is the only area where there is a problem

The programs that are  basically being mandated across the country, particularly in the NCLB,READING FIRST schools are trying to play catch up with the tests or vise versa, so I have a bit of hope; but in the area of Math they are not aligned at all. The tests assess behaviorists thinking--algorithms and the programs teach constructivist approach...mathematical thinking strategies etc. ...Both the tests makers and the curriculum drivers (text companies) seem to be making some money. The way the system is set up in NCLB, there is a govenment mandate to teach what the government has decided is research based. All well and fine, but who's in charge of alignment?

In reading, there is not a problem as I see it. But, teachers are instructed to teach within a certain time limit using a scripted program. We are stepford teachers now....(some good things about that...some bad). As it is now, there is little or no freedom to teach children at their own reading level...it's sink or swim......So, until the districts, administrators start changing the way they mandate time contraints on teachers, so we can individualize instruction the way we used to do it, children will have to sink.  The program is designed to teach all the children at once.
 For a primary grade that is unreasonable and in the end the tests will reflect failure because of the such restrictions....not necesarrily the program itself. In the past we differentiated instruction to meet the needs of all the children. We were able to do it all pretty well. Kids learned to read, write, equate...construct..etc.

The system wasn't broken back then...

Another problem; The SBA tests (standardized tests) are given at the end of Feb. and yet we still have several months left of school to teach the very skill/information that will be on that test.  How is that equitable and balanced?
But, in the end schools will be reprimanded for not bringing the those very tests scores up!!

Texas is one example of a system that has had to face the music, but theyended up doing the 'bad thing'...they cheated. I would hate to see that happen to us.

Clinton for prez?
At least someone is going to attack the failures of NCLB (at least I hope she isn't telling a lie!).
SHe brought up a need for more early childhood education in the link I provided the other day. That statement alone gave me hope)
  Education isn't only about test scores.  It's about teaching the child her/his level. Children can all be taught, as education is not only and art, it is a science...
The weak links of the NCLB have made it into a race! The children are being pressured like never before.

These days children are tested too much.  
I say assess to find out how to drive instruction...not test and test again to find out how badly a school is performing.
Sure, if a teacher does not have the skill or the knowledge to teach...and he/she is in it for the big bucks! ha...then fire her/his butt.
Teachers Unions have been responsible for the perpetuation bad teaching as well, I think. There are some good reasons why we need the Union, sure. But overall, bad teachers keep going and going and going...and that is par for the course in any field, is it not?

By the by.....NCLB will probably be around for a long time. The system is actually working in some areas and for the most part it has it's good points.

But, I say, and have been saying. stop punishing good teaching and good teachers. You say that those teachers who are being punished deserve to be.....assuming they are all bad teachers. Not necessarily, BT. (as I pointed out in the post about the High School exemplary scores)

Which candidate will help to make significant adjustments to the broken bell?

Who knows?

Raise a child////Village...makes sense to me. I like Obama, however.....let's see.

Bush certainly hasn't really helped with the entire process.

Kennedy probably had a better idea to begin with. Who knows what part Bush played in teh whole thing.

online tests?

I can't find actual tests on line, bt..but I will try to get those for you.

modestyblase

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
The whole of the article is pretty lame.

The endorsement of Obama by Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), Caroline Kennedy, and just about the whole Kennedy clan was not just the best political theater seen in Washington in some time. It was a dagger through the heart of the Clintons that they tried hard to prevent. The sense of entitlement and inevitability for Sen. Clinton continues to decline.

I didn't know a handful of Kennedys were "just about the whole Kennedy clan" *eye roll*
Aside, a few Kennedys are pulling for Hilde, including RFK Jr. who ise running an ad w. Cesar Chavez's grandson.
ALSO: ANYONE old enough to remember JFK & RFK know they're not the great, amazing men their mythological status holds them to be. I adore the Kennedys for their ridiculously crazy family but...
JFK v Nixon was one fo the closest races in history, and ballot-stuffing, fraud, etc. will forever color that campaign. In fact, I like Johnson's administration much better. Kennedy didn't really accomplish too much, except to get a Catholic into office. Oh, and to start the Peace Corps, commit to troops to 'Nam, philander more than possibly any other president in history, and to infamously make a Dubyaism in Germany.
RFK, despite his jumping on whats-his-names bandwagon for the 68 election, was NOT the beacon of all civil rights goodness he and others claimed him to be. The man did, after all, serve as the attorney to McCarthy's UnAmerican Committee.

The only Kennedy brother to consistently, and from the beginning of his political career, show advocation of civil rights and other progressive measures was Ted Kennedy. Shame he doesn't get the credit his brothers receive instead.  :-\

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
"The only Kennedy brother to consistently, and from the beginning of his political career, show advocation of civil rights and other progressive measures was Ted Kennedy. Shame he doesn't get the credit his brothers receive instead."

Well, it IS dififcult to admire a person who cannot even swim!  ;D
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Cynthia

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2008, 04:07:02 AM »

i]

This is not the case. Especially now that we are told by administrators NOT to teach science at all in order to raise test scores in reading and math. The SBA tests science.

Why not just teach fact(1) to kid (a) before day 100?[/[/b]

We do teach fact (1) to kid (a) on or way before the one hundredth day. The problem is fact 20 kid 20 on any day in teh school year...in time for the standarized tests. The tests are given in early spring with at least three more months to go in the school year.