Author Topic: Uh oh...Dems starting to stray  (Read 1635 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uh oh...Dems starting to stray
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:37:44 AM »
This can't be good.  What to do...what to do

Democrats: Nuclear Iran unacceptable

By HILARY LEILA KRIEGER

Iran with nuclear weapons is unacceptable, new House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told The Jerusalem Post hours after entering the party leadership position.

The Maryland Democrat said the view is shared by his party, rejecting assertions that the Democrats would be weaker than the Republicans on Iran.

He also said that the use of force against Teheran remained an option.

Hoyer, second only in the hierarchy of the House of Representatives to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, is charged with articulating and strategizing on party policy.

He spoke to the Post on Thursday, the opening day of the 110th Congress, after making an appearance at the National Jewish Democratic Council reception honoring the six new Jewish members of Congress.

The council gathering was one of scores of events on Capitol Hill held to celebrate the start of the new session.

Hoyer is considered close to the Jewish community and many Israel supporters have hailed his elevation in the House.

He was one of the few non-Jewish lawmakers to attend the council reception.

Hoyer said the Democrats' position, like that of the Bush administration, was that preventing a nuclear-armed Iran had to be done through "discussions, negotiations, sanctions." Hoyer added that the US needed to work with the international community to block Teheran's nuclear ambitions.

At the same time, Hoyer said the use of force hadn't been taken off the table.

"I've not ruled that out," he said, but added, "It's not an option we want to consider until we know there is no other option."•

Force remains an option
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Uh oh...Dems starting to stray
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »
"I've not ruled that out," he said, but added, "It's not an option we want to consider until we know there is no other option."•

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

I agree , it would be foolish to leave other avenues unexamined.

War hurts , expensive too.

What is the sign we should look for that would mean that warfare is the best remaining option?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 12:47:58 AM »
At the same time, Hoyer said the use of force hadn't been taken off the table.

Looks like the Dems are getting us ready for war.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:30:16 AM »
I agree , it would be foolish to leave other avenues unexamined.  War hurts , expensive too.  What is the sign we should look for that would mean that warfare is the best remaining option?

Much to the dismay of messers Brass & Tee who are convinced that anyone that doesn't see things their way, must be some war lover, I too, place the act of warring as the absolute last resort, but a resort none-the-less.  That said, I don't think there really is a tangible "sign", Plane.  I think it really does come down to a judgement call.  That or some more 911-like events.  

IMHO, To folks like Brass & Tee, the judgement is largely based on if they have an R or a D following their name.  If they have a D, it must be good judgement.  If they have an R, well.....it's not just bad judgement, it's "pure evil"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 06:37:48 PM »
For me, anyone that ok's an attack on Iran is basically saying they want to be brought before the world court and tried for crimes against humanity and any resulting punishments if they are found guilty.

I doubt my congressman will vote yes for an attack on Iraq and if he does, I'll work to get him brought up on charges; but who are we kidding?  He's never going to be given the opportunity to vote on that.