Author Topic: Wal-Mart Expanding Discount Drug Program  (Read 978 times)

Rich

Wal-Mart Expanding Discount Drug Program
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:06:16 PM »
Wal-Mart Expanding Discount Drug Program
by Joanne Silberner

Day to Day, September 28, 2007 ? Wal-Mart is adding a couple of dozen prescription medications to its $4-per-month drug plan as part of an effort by the retailer to make inroads into how health care is delivered.

Wal-Mart started its plan a year ago, offering a short list of generic drugs at a special $4-per-month price. The company recently implemented the program at all of its drugstores after test-piloting it at some of its Florida pharmacies.

And with this new move, the company is going even further with its drug offerings, says Wal-Mart senior vice president John Agwunobi ? a former assistant secretary for health for the federal government.

"We're adding medicines for glaucoma, for attention deficit disorder. We're adding medication for fungal infections and for acne. We're also adding medicines for fertility and prescription birth control," Agwunobi says.

The fertility and birth control medications will go for $9 a month, not the regular $4.

For some people whose generic drugs only cost $5 or $10, the savings aren't that great. But there are big savings for certain drugs, especially those that have recently become available as generics.

Agwunobi says that in the first year alone, Wal-Mart expects the program to save patients about $610 million in prescription costs.

Competitive Pricing

Pharmacies have always had a bigger percentage of profit on generic drugs as compared to brand-name drugs, so there's room for some price cutting. And Wal-Mart has been able to drive big bargains with drug companies. Agwunobi says that Wal-Mart will still make money on the $4 prescriptions.

Health economist Stuart Altman, of Brandeis University, says the move won't hurt the big chain drug stores, like CVS and Walgreens.

"They have the ability to counter this if they choose," Altman says.

In fact, many of the big chains followed Wal-Mart last year and started offering their own discounts. Yesterday, Target announced it will match Wal-Mart's new prices.

But Wal-Mart's move will hurt the smaller pharmacies, Altman says.

Taking on Health Care

And there's another group that should worry, says Princeton University economist Uwe Reinhardt.

"If I were a brand-name producing, research-oriented company, I would worry about it," says Reinhardt. "Here you have a great free enterpriser teaching Americans that generics are just as good as brand-name drugs."

Wal-Mart has been getting more involved in health care, after taking a public relations beating for offering only meager health insurance to its employees. Recently, it expanded the options. And for consumers, it's opened on-site medical clinics at some of its stores ? and plans to open hundreds more.

Reinhardt says the company may be taking aim at the entire health-care system.

"I think it's a really fascinating way to come out of the corner and really slug the system. At the moment, the body blows don't hurt. But they add up. I'm watching this with great fascination, and expect more from them," Reinhardt says.

Following Wal-Mart's announcement yesterday, the price of the company's shares rose slightly.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wal-Mart Expanding Discount Drug Program
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »
good

people bitch about the oil companies which has a extremely low profit margins
but very little is talked about drug companies with large profit margins.

this is gonna be very very interesting

Rich

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 02:25:23 PM »
I never knew about this program until last week when I recieved a new perscription from my doctor and he told me that Wal-Mart would fill if for $4. I have to get my medications from Medco. I get 3 months supplies. My insurance insistes on it. Wal-Mart is even cheaper. Four of my medications are available through Wal-Mart, I'll be getting them in the future.

Here's a list of drugs you can get at Wal-Mart for $4 for 30, or $12 for 90.

http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/four_dollar_drug_list.pdf

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:47:21 AM »
Walgreen's sells my generic Rx's for between $12.95 and $30.00. The same pills Wal*Mart sells for $4.00.

I paid $378 for 90 TriCor tablets a Wal*Mat, so they are not cheap on everything, but this is still less than Walgreens. How one damned pill can possibly cost over $4.00 beats me.

Drugs are largely non-competitive: stores do not issue price lists on them, you can't return them, and it is a hassle to buy a drug at one store when your prescription is at another.

The laws that are supposed to be helping the patient are screwing him.

In France, Spain or Mexico, I can get my generic Rx's filled with no prescription at all, and they are much cheaper.

Simple chemicals, like KCl (Potassium Chloride), are treated like lethal potions.
Several years ago, they sold KCl as a salt substitute in grocery stores. Now the drugstore treats it like it were morphine or something.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:00:27 AM »
and it is a hassle to buy a drug at one store when your prescription is at another.

Simple phone call is all that it takes. Most stores even advertise that they'll move your prescriptions to their store for free, ie, they'll do the phone calling for you.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
Simple phone call is all that it takes. Most stores even advertise that they'll move your prescriptions to their store for free, ie, they'll do the phone calling for you.
====================================================================
Try this in Miami. Perhaps it works better where you live.

It is quite difficult to even obtain comparative prices for Rx drugs.

Maybe it would work better on the phone, that is, when they do not put you on hold for 20 minutes and then hang up on you.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »
Maybe it would work better on the phone, that is, when they do not put you on hold for 20 minutes and then hang up on you.

Well, then, go to a store that advertises that they will transfer all your prescriptions to their store (don't all Walmarts do this?) and let them get put on hold.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 12:08:49 PM »
But see, the idea is to do a two part thing: (a) find out who sells for less and (b) transfer the RX there.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:32:11 PM »
But see, the idea is to do a two part thing: (a) find out who sells for less and (b) transfer the RX there.

Most pharmacies in this area have a prescription transfer service. Most pharmacies in Minnesota have a prescription transfer service.

The online yellow pages lists dozens of pharmacies in Miami that have prescription transfer services.

So, it's a) find out who sells for less and b) use their prescription transfer service. If b) doesn't exist, check with another pharmacy that might be a just a bit more on cost, and determine if the cost difference is worth the hassle of doing a prescription transfer yourself.

As far as I know, every CVS / Walgreens / Eckerds / Walmart / Costco that has a pharmacy also has a prescription transfer service. Publix advertises one as well.

Rich

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »
>>The online yellow pages lists dozens of pharmacies in Miami that have prescription transfer services.<<

All he's got to do is open another window and look it up.

::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »
The difficult part is finding out the prices before you buy the prescription. And no, they are not online, not at Walgreen's.

I did find a number you can call.

The non-generic cholesterol pill that costs $4.20 at Wall*Mart costs a paltry $4.19996 at Walgreen's. That would be for one single pill. Tricor, $145 mg.

In Canada it was about a third as much, plus $10 shipping. So a least now I know where to refill the fool thing.

Rich

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
Something wrong with generic?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 04:52:49 AM »
Something wrong with generic?

===============================
Nothing at all, but there are no generics for Tricor.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:51 AM »
Nothing at all, but there are no generics for Tricor.

Lofibra