Author Topic: The Iceland Sailor Club  (Read 2563 times)

domer

The Iceland Sailor Club
« on: December 23, 2006, 02:48:42 AM »
Like many in here, the most vociferous proponents of escalation have had their opportunities to serve in combat units either in wartime or in vigilant peacetime. None in here have. How credible are their cries fo "victory"?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The Iceland Sailor Club
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 02:52:13 AM »
If you had served you would know that i could have just as easily been patrolling rivers in the Mekong Delta as i was stationed in Iceland. You go where they send you.

domer

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 02:53:21 AM »
Did you volunteer to go?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 02:56:29 AM »
Did you volunteer to go?

I asked to be posted in the Pacific, which at that time meant Nam.

domer

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 03:02:52 AM »
Excuse me for prying, but did you officially request a transfer to the Pacific? Could anyone have been designated for Swift Boat duty, or did you have to volunteer? What were the chances you'd be posted to Vietnam shore duty, not to mention patrolling inland waterways? I'm one of the survivors from that era. I know what went on. Guys who joined the Navy, by and large, did so to avoid deployment in country, much like the Guard and Reserves. I have many friends who served in those capacities, virtually all of whom frankly admit they choose their particular path to avoid the war, especially my one friend, a Republican, who spent much of his four years in the Caribbean.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 03:12:22 AM »
We were given the opportunity to request either the Atlantic or the Pacific Fleet. I chosse the Pacific.

I was USNR,  just like John Kerry. Except i wasn't an officer.

domer

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 03:14:21 AM »
Frankly, BT, even as a war opponent then, I had more chance of going to Vietnam by subjecting myself to the draft lottery.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 03:17:20 AM »
Yeah I was second year lottery. My brother was serving in Nam by the time i got out of boot camp. One reason i requested the Pacific.

domer

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 03:18:35 AM »
OK. Enough of this sideshow. See you tomorrow.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:17:43 AM »
You realize, of course, that your service in Vietnam or Iceland or wherever does not make any of you any sort of expert on Iraq and what is the best way to succeed there.

The members of the Iraqi Army realize that if they kill, wound or maim a fellow Iraqi, the word might get back to that person's family and they would take revenge. So they would prefer that the Americans do the killing. Eventually, Iraq will end up being run by the most foolhardy Iraqis with the militia or army that best protects its own from reprisals.

The Americans will never decide by force of arms how Iraq's resources will be divided  among the Kurds, Sunnis ands Shiites. This will be done by Iraqis, probably not Iraqis in the Iraqi Army. Once one group attains control, then the deals will be made, most of them involving trickery. It is when the companies who want to buy the oil appear that trickery occurs. Tricksters like James Baker will appear
and brave but ignorant sheiks will be duped and deluded. If they catch on and kidnap the tricksters, they will be accused of terrorism, of course.

An American who dies in Iraq has died for no purpose.

He might have lofty reasons, he might be exceptionally brave. But he will not have made Iraq a democracy and he will have died for no purpose. Sad but true. Read it and weep.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 11:12:12 AM »
You realize, of course, that your service in Vietnam or Iceland or wherever does not make any of you any sort of expert on Iraq and what is the best way to succeed there.

Conversely lack of service does not make you a prime candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize. So let's burn that strawman right here.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
I have a theater Ribbon for the Persian gulf , two times my ship went there for six month cruses in the gulf.

The Aiatola was not dumb enough to shoot at us , but I got aimed at now and then.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 02:45:12 PM »
Conversely lack of service does not make you a prime candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize. So let's burn that strawman right here.

======================================================================
I am not claiming any such thing. But shooting at some enemy or getting shot at does not cause one to understand strategy. The Iraq War cannot be won by Americans, because the US is not near Iraq and we won't keep troops there forever. The Kurds want autonomy, if not independence, and the Sunnis and Shiites are fighting to control what's left. If they do send a "surge" of troops to Baghdad, they must have a clear and achievable  mission and an exit strategy.

I see no evidence of this yet. 
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 03:21:01 PM »
I am not claiming any such thing.

I made no such claim either.