Author Topic: MASSIVELY fucked-up priorities  (Read 1023 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MASSIVELY fucked-up priorities
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:36:29 PM »
While $32 billion passes through Congress without a hitch for the Afghan War, a $23 billion bill to forestall the layoffs of 300,000 teachers faces a Republican filibuster, a thumbs-down from Blue Dog Democrats, and its sponsor has given up hope of passing it in the Senate, hoping instead to get it tacked onto a war-spending bill in the House and as such, snuck past the Senate in the reconciliation process.

Unbelievable how a war of choice takes precedence over the education of America's children.  Tell me again who your "elected representatives" are really representing? 

The same article has some interesting perspectives on how the Chinese are planning to use cheap American labour to build their high-speed rail network.  It's tied to the first theme because of their educational system producing more engineers than yours, the Afghan war robbing American kids of 300,000 teachers being just one outstanding example of the mess.  But I am sure Halliburton et al. can live with it - - they'll just hire their engineers from China and India as needed, using the profits from their "defence" contracts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-l-borosage/what-is-an-emergency_b_590322.html

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: MASSIVELY fucked-up priorities
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »
Connect the dots.

Robert L. Borosage who wrote this article is the president of the Institute for America?s Future and co-director of its sister organization, the Campaign for America?s Future. 

Campaign for America?s Future ? $40,000 grant from the NEA.

Let's see if they get their monies worth.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »
I guess the real issue is whether Borosage is making a mountain out of a molehill.  If in fact the Harkin-Miller bill does sneak through the reconciliation process, and was never really in danger, then maybe the NEA did get their money's worth out of him.  If it doesn't sneak through, then he's reported some very disturbing facts, American priorities really are massively fucked up, and that'll be true whether or not the NEA's man was the first to call attention to the problem. 

You know, 2+2 will always =4, even if the NEA says so.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
Borosage isn't reporting he is advocating. And he is being paid to do it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:28:23 PM »
<<Borosage isn't reporting he is advocating. >>

Not reporting eh?  I sure as bitchin hell did not know anything about the Senate's inability to pass Harkin-Miller, so he reported it to me.  And I guess he advocated it as well.  What else is new?

<<And he is being paid to do it. >>

THAT'S Borosage's secret shame?  That he's paid to advocate for public education?  I am SHOCKED.  I guess it's OK to be paid to rape, torture, maim and kill your fellow human beings, but God forbid that any American be paid to advocate for public education.  THAT is truly un-fucking-forgivable.  Robert Borosage, you will burn in hell for this.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »
Connect the dots.

Robert L. Borosage who wrote this article is the president of the Institute for America?s Future and co-director of its sister organization, the Campaign for America?s Future. 

Campaign for America?s Future ? $40,000 grant from the NEA.

Let's see if they get their monies worth.

LOL......yep, one must consider the source
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »
Did you know Borosage used to work for Harkin and his wife is international director of the AFL CIO.

This is about teachers jobs, not the education of children.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »

Unbelievable how a war of choice takes precedence over the education of America's children.  Tell me again who your "elected representatives" are really representing? 

Perhaps if teachers were blowing up some of those children we would be willing to spend money on them as we do the Al Quieda?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 11:50:21 PM »
Wonder what the failure rate of munitions is compared to teachers.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 03:30:51 AM »
Wonder what the failure rate of munitions is compared to teachers.

Depends a lot on the manufactureing standard.

American munitions are famous for haveing a high rate of duds , ours have the most "fail safe" features so they have additional failure modes when compared with British ,Russian or Chineese bombs and shells.

The downside of haveing safer to handle bombs is that the battlefeild is littered even more with half alive duds if you are standing near one and no one is looking at you you are Shrodingers cat without really knowing you have entered a quantum state.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 03:32:28 AM »

Unbelievable how a war of choice ...........

What was the better choice?