Author Topic: Veep Debate  (Read 3269 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Veep Debate
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:01:33 AM »
These guys walk the halls of the Capitol , they get first hand breifings from the top agencys and think tanks, they get paid top dollar for the effort of their thought.

And for all that ,the facts are loooose, the concepts are shakey , the ideas are watered down.
Their civility is wanting.
I am dissapointed, they debate no better than we do.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Veep Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »
On points and on good impression , I think that Ryan comes off better.

Biden seems to be overcorrecting for President Obama's lack of passion in the previous debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19912954
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:26:28 AM by Plane »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
Someone gave a good summation of how a winner was likely perceived
- if you simply read a transcript of the debate, it was a draw
- if you simply listened to the debate on radio, Biden wins
- if you watched it on TV, Ryan wins
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »
Agreed guys.

I must admit I was surprised to see the CNN post-debate poll
that showed Ryan as the winner.

I thought it was pretty much a "wash" with no clear winner.

Biden really blew it by coming off as the condescending, interupting, laughing,
smirking, used car salesman.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »
I found Biden to be rather charming: he refused to allow Ryan to get away with his frequent nonfactual statements. Ryan gained from the format, because they were sitting down, so he looked less like a twerp. Ryan deserved to be snickered at. he is a weasel and clearly some sort of superindoctrinated  altarboy who needs to grow up.

No one actually wins a VP debate, unless someone makes a really silly statement. The election is the judge, and few vote for VP rather than president.

Ryan should state clearly what deductions the GOP plans to eliminate, as though the GOP has complete control of both houses. Otherwise, it is a pig in a poke and it could make a HUGE difference to a LOT of people. He didn't, of course, because it would lose them votes and contributions.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
Strange, how a "professor", found someone interrupting the other 80+ times, "charming".  I'm guessing he wouldn't have advocated a similar "charm" in any of his classes

But you know what's truely "charming", is prior to these 1st 2 debates, Obama and company had almost enough electoral votes to take Nov.  Just a couple of swing states, and the promised land was theirs.  Now, his polls are hemorrhaging, his solid electoral #'s have dropped to 201, and the numer of "locked" states are under 10 now

Truely Charming.    8)    Way to go Obama/Biden.  2 more of these types of debates, and we can forgo the formalities
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »
Biden simply refused to allow Ryan to get away with his lies and deception.

They do not call this turkey "lyin' Ryan for nothing.

Hell, he even LIED about his running time in some marathon. He is allergic to the truth.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »
Biden simply refused to allow Ryan to get away with his lies and deception.

Disrepect is disrespect, no matter how you try to paint that pig.  In fact, even a majority of the MSM came to that conclusion.  Only the Coolaide drinking Obama/Biden synchophants found it "charming"

They do not call this turkey "lyin' Ryan for nothing.

Or Rip Van Biden, or the Human Gaffe Machine, or Slo Jo, or Hardscrabble Joe, of the Human Gaffling Gun, for nothing.  Oh wait, those are all Biden's

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:47:04 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
I found Biden to be rather charming: he refused to allow Ryan to get away with his frequent nonfactual statements.

Could you statee an example of a fact that you think Ryan got wrong?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
Ryan proposes that 20% tax cuts can be paid for by removing unspecified deductions.

If EVERY deduction (except, of course the special 15% capital gains rate) were eliminated, that would amount to enough for a 4% IRS tax cut. The other 16% would come from "growing the economy", supposedly.

It is quite unlikely that the GOP could cut the home mortgage interest deduction. To do so would surely annoy realtors and home builders a lot. It would mean that people would have to buy smaller, cheaper homes. I agree that it should be cut, but I am sure that it would never be possible to cut it all at once.

Is it wise to eliminate IRA deductions, if the goal is to encourage people to save for their own retirement?

The entire Ryan proposal basically sucks, but these are its suckiest parts.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »
It is hard to get specific about future changes that have to be negotiated.

I don't see anything more specific , nor even half as efficatious in Obama's proposals.

Ryans proposals are in the right direction, and if he acheives half of them ,to producew something like a 5% simpler tax system and 5% better tax revenue it might be inadequate , but can you tell me something about the adequacy of the programs in the last four years?

Obama seems to want to drain the pond that is already carrying 45% of the tax burden and hireing 45% of the employees .

I suppose he will complain about the fishing too when the falling tide leaves all the boats aground.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 12:08:21 AM »
The point is that Ryan's proposal does not solve the problem, period. If he compromises it, then it will be even less effective. Mostly, all it will do for sure is lower the taxes on the fatcats. That is all I think the GOP wants, anyway.

In the past four years, we were in a horrible recession, so tax revenues were lower than usual and expenditures for the unemployed were higher than usual. This would have occurred if McCain had been elected as well.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 03:58:41 AM »
The point is that Ryan's proposal does not solve the problem, period. If he compromises it, then it will be even less effective.

So you're conceding it would be more effective, if done in its full incarnation.  Wow

Mostly, all it will do for sure is lower the taxes on the fatcats.

Despite the FACT it's an across the board tax cut, somehow, someway, and only in the luntatic left's mind, that tax cuts for everyone is only tax cuts for "fatcats".  Go figure

In the past four years, we were in a horrible recession, so tax revenues were lower than usual and expenditures for the unemployed were higher than usual.

Reagan's recession he inherited was far worse, did just the opposite of Obama, and our economy came roaring back

This would have occurred if McCain had been elected as well.

Not even close.  Unemployment would have already been under 8, probably in the high 6's, and the middle east certainly wouldn't be burning up under a McCain, like it is under Obama.  Of course, depending on how obstructive the Dem Senate would have been, possibly would have influenced those #'s a little

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
Yes of course, McCain would have had Mubarak overhauled and had his age run back to 50 years of age.

I concede NOTHING about Ryan's cockamamie plan, you twit.

First he wants to drop the tax rates by 20%. That means more deficits, because there is no way to slash expenditures by 20%. Then you end all deductions (fat chance that would get through Congress). That brings in 5% more, so now you are running deficits 15% higher than before. They you wait and HOPE and PRAY that it will heat up the economy (which you have just crushed by ending home mortgage interest deductions and several other programs).

Ryan's plan is a lead balloon. It will NEVER fly.