Author Topic: Love affair with Bush has largely ended  (Read 5119 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Love affair with Bush has largely ended
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
You give a description of the Baptists Plane, but not the Southern Baptists.

The Southern Baptist church formed strictly due to the racism that separated the North and South in the United States preceeding the Civil War. The Methodist Church faced a similar split (indeed the Southern Methodist Church formed around the same time).

Despite the rosy view of ethnic diversity amongst Pentacostals above, they and the Southern Baptists officially taught and practiced racial segregation until around the 1950's and 1960's. The "curse of Ham" and the "mark of Cain" were official doctrines of both churches for quite some time.

In fairness, today both groups have mostly changed from that past. But it is interesting to note that at one time the Southern Baptists taught that there were two heavens, one for whites and one for non-whites. It goes to show how time and culture influence churches.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 01:29:41 AM »
You give a description of the Baptists Plane, but not the Southern Baptists.

The Southern Baptist church formed strictly due to the racism that separated the North and South in the United States preceeding the Civil War. The Methodist Church faced a similar split (indeed the Southern Methodist Church formed around the same time).

Despite the rosy view of ethnic diversity amongst Pentacostals above, they and the Southern Baptists officially taught and practiced racial segregation until around the 1950's and 1960's. The "curse of Ham" and the "mark of Cain" were official doctrines of both churches for quite some time.

In fairness, today both groups have mostly changed from that past. But it is interesting to note that at one time the Southern Baptists taught that there were two heavens, one for whites and one for non-whites. It goes to show how time and culture influence churches.

You didn't know that the Pentacostals were founded by a Black church?
Or that integation is common in Pentacostal churches?

I am a bit fuzzy on the two heavens thing , where could I read up on it?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2007, 02:17:33 AM »

You don't seem to be a true fundamentalist, either.
You don't seem to believe that all the animals fitted on the Ark, or that the world was created 6000 years ago.
You don't seem to want to stone gays and children who are rude to their parents, just to name a few examples.

Where are you meeting these people?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 10:36:21 PM »
Naw, you don't need to stone them, just take away their iPods, color TVs, laptops, game systems, books (oops, they don't READ anymore, do they?)...shall I go on?

Are THESE the future leaders of tomorrow?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:39:12 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 06:34:31 AM »
Naw, you don't need to stone them, just take away their iPods, color TVs, laptops, game systems, books (oops, they don't READ anymore, do they?)...shall I go on?
Then they stone you
Are THESE the future leaders of tomorrow?
Yes and the followers too.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »
That's not true and not at all fair.

So, you weren't on the "Bush was reading books to kids while planes were flying into buildings" train the following day?

I don't remember Knutty being alone.

I totally missed this thread back when but since it mentions me by name I thought I'd follow up on it.

For the record, I was not part of any online forums on 9.11.  I joined some time later. 

On 9.11, I gave Bush a pass.  I believed he had no foreknowledge nor any of the ensuing theories that I have embraced since.  I still hold that Bush had no foreknowledge and consider him merely a pawn as McClellan has described him.

It was not till I heard of the invasion of Afghanistan that I started checking out stuff and finding out how there were nothing but oil people in Bush's "administration" and that there was a pipeline that some oil company had been wanting to build there forever and a day and the guy they were going to install as the puppet there after "deposing the taliban" was actually the broker of the deals that failed for the pipeline.

In the days following 9.11.  I still hated Bush but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  I let go and gave him the chance to follow the right paths and he failed to take any of the correct paths.

The drumbeat to invade Iraq sealed it for me.  He was worthless and had squandered every opportunity to make the world a better place for all in favor of a better place for some and a much horrible place for MANY.