Author Topic: The Union Agenda  (Read 6212 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Union Agenda
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »
Remember when the left was all up in arms with the NRA supposedly having an office inside the White House, when Bush took the oath?

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama visited the House of Labor this week, and Labor can't wait to invite one back. Which one? Who cares.
April 4, 2008

To read the press coverage, unions are as split as the rest of the country over a Democratic nominee. The giant AFL-CIO has yet to endorse, its member unions hopelessly divided. Locals fight it out state-to-state, squaring off into their candidates' corners. The upcoming Pennsylvania primary has devolved into a slugfest over a huge union vote, one reason why both Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama planned their weeks around speeches to an AFL-CIO convention in Philly.

Republicans are gleeful about these divides, but the guys grinning widest are union bosses. They understood long ago what even today the GOP and the business community have yet to grasp. This election is their best shot in a half-century of making over Washington. Not everyone is thrilled with a Clinton or an Obama, but this matters little next to the big prize. As Gerald McEntee, the savvy head of the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees, succinctly put it, Big Labor is looking for a "trifecta" ? the Oval Office, the House and a filibuster-proof Senate. And after that, the biggest rewrite of labor law in modern America.

"This is an all-in bet for them in 2008," says Mark Mix, president of the National Right to Work Committee, a group that fights down in the trenches against coercive union power. "As market cycles go, they're in their peak, we're in our trough, and they're looking for a clear two-year run" in an all-Democrat Washington.

How bad does Big Labor want this? Consider history. George W. Bush has been eight years of anticorruption probes and more union financial disclosure. Bill Clinton's tenure was defined by an antiunion GOP majority, with Nafta as a bitter pill. George H.W. Bush codified the Beck decision, allowing workers to withhold political dues. Ronald Reagan broke the air traffic controllers union. Even Jimmy Carter was tightfisted with gifts. The unions' last political heyday arguably ended with the Landrum-Griffin Act of 1959, which regulated internal union affairs.

How bad does Big Labor want this? Consider the desperation. A global economy has meant higher-paying, more flexible jobs, and a U.S. workforce that sees little value in unions. Union membership has been in a free-fall for years, with private-sector membership now at just 7.4% of the labor force. Fights over how to stop this bleeding have fractured the movement. Labor leaders worry that if they don't reverse the trend soon, they'll be out of a job.

This is their shot. Unions are confident the House will be Democratic and pliant. By holding off on big endorsements, they've forced both Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama to pander to their demands, creating some of the most pro-union presidential candidates in recent history. In the Senate, labor bosses see a chance to add three to seven seats, enough, when combined with wobbly Republicans, to do away with filibusters. They're already out spending in New Hampshire, Minnesota, Colorado, New Mexico, Virginia, Alaska and Maine.

How bad does Big Labor want this? Consider the money and manpower so far. The AFL-CIO has approved a record political budget of $53 million to help fund 200,000 union workers on the street. Its affiliated national and international unions have pledged another $200 million. The National Education Association will throw $40 million to $50 million at races. The Service Employees International Union has marked off $100 million for politics, and intends to pay 2,000 union members the equivalent of their salaries to work on Democratic campaigns. Add in union money for federal or state political action committees, for 527s, and for local and state races, and some astute members of the business community ? those who have seen this coming "tsunami" (as one puts it) ? estimate union political spending may top $1 billion in 2008.

How bad does Big Labor want this? Consider what it will get if that money pays off. Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama have already pledged a rewrite of Nafta and an end to more trade deals. Both promise to throw government money at new union-only jobs, to boost unemployment insurance, to penalize companies that hire overseas, and to take a run at "universal" health care.

To this, unions will add passage of "card check," which would outlaw secret ballots in union organizing elections. Alongside will be legislation to make union officials the exclusive bargaining agents of most police, fire and rescue personnel. Then there's the biggie ? so big that most officials don't talk about it publicly. Tucked into the 1947 Taft-Hartley Act is a provision called 14(b), which allows for "right to work" states. Big Labor last took a run at deleting this section, and forcing more unionization, in the Johnson administration. With a filibuster-proof Senate, they'd have a far better shot.

Unions want a Department of Labor that will sit on corruption cases, water down financial disclosure rules, and turn a blind eye to the use of pension funds to influence boardroom decisions. The National Labor Relations Board has three vacancies, which Senate Democrats will refuse to fill this year. Big Labor's own slate would include people favorable to proposals to allow "mini-unions" within corporate workplaces, or to rework job definitions to bring more positions under the union umbrella.

The biggest obstacle to all this would normally be the business community. But with Democrats strongly positioned to win, companies are reluctant to upset the political masters. The corporate world's list of political problems has also grown so large ? trade, paid leave, healthcare, environmental issues ? that it has barely been able to focus on the union threat.

To the extent companies have stepped up, it's been on single issues, like card check. And therein lies the unions' biggest risk: overreach. Good as the overall political environment is, most Americans don't agree with specific union proposals. A recent poll released by the Coalition for a Democratic Workplace, which is fighting against card check, found that two-thirds of voters in key Senate election states oppose getting rid of secret union ballots.

The tactic of pro-union Democrats in the past has been to avoid talking specifics. If Republicans want a shot at winning some political races, they'll need to. Painting the picture of a union-dominated America might help focus minds.

The Union Agenda
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

fatman

Re: The Union Agenda
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »
Good.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:42:07 AM »
What's good about it?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:11:21 AM »
F*ck the "Right to Work" Committee and the horse it rode in on.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 07:15:28 AM »
Facing the world aint easy when there isnt anything going
Standing at the corner waiting watching time go by
Will I go to work today or shall I bide my time
cos when I see that union man walking down the street
Hes the man who decides if I live or I die, if I starve, or I eat
Then he walks up to me and the sun begins to shine
Then he walks right past and I know that Ive got to get back in the line
Now I think of what my mamma told me
She always said that it would never ever work out
But all I want to do is make some money
And bring you home some wine
For I dont ever want you to see me
Standing in that line
cause that union mans got such a hold over me
Hes the man who decides if I live or I die, if I starve, or I eat
Then he walks up to me and the sun begins to shine
Then he walks right past and I know that Ive got to get back in the line

Kinks
Back in the Line

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Yeah, 'cause nothing says you care about protecting the workers like forcing them to pay union dues.

(Hm. That seems to be just the right amount of sarcasm.)
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 04:33:53 PM »

You don't think that people have a right to work where ever they feel like?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »
I think that when a union strives to get you better pay and benefits, and they all do, you have no right whatever to refuse to support them. If you don't  want union representation, you are most assuredly nuts, but there are plenty of places where you can work without a union, so if you don't like unions, you should go work there.

fatman

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »
What's good about it?

IMO, the question shouldn't be what's good about it, but what's wrong with it.  Labor unions came into being for a reason, namely worker safety and worker compensation.  They came into being long before OSHA or whatever your state department of Labor and Industries is.  Unions exist to make sure that the worker doesn't get screwed.

Look at the manufacturing sector during the early days of unionization, low wages, substandard and often unsafe working conditions, the inability to strike.  There was a reason that big business of the day tried to shut unions down, and why big business continues to try and shut it down to this day, namely because they want to remove the power from the worker and maintain the workplace as they see fit, with safety and compensation decided solely by the employer.

I work in a union shop.  This is the first and only union job I've ever had, and I've got to tell you, I like it.  My dues are $30 a month, in return I get vacation, pension, 401k, and the ability to move to other shops within the union without a pay cut.  To me, that's well worth my $30 a month contribution.  I could go to other shops in the area, make 60-75% of what I make now, without the health benefits that I have, without the pension, though most places offer a 401k.  If I were to leave that shop and work at another, I'd probably have to take a pay cut, at least to start.

Unions apprentice new workers, training them in their career for trades that a lot of schools don't cover.  This is done with standards to be reached and objectives to be met.  In return for that apprenticeship, the apprentice makes a % of journeyman wage, in my program, it's a five year program and the apprentice starts out at 50% and increases 10% per year until journeyman is reached.  Journeymen are credentialed so that the employer/customer knows that they're getting someone who knows what they're doing, not someone who might know or should know, but someone who does know.

The article cites a private sector union percentage of 7.4%.  That's low.  Somehow the author of this article expects this 7.4% to grow into a "union dominated America".  It's not gonna happen.  There will always be non union shops, this will be where the guys who can't pass a drug test or criminal history check will end up working, usually for crap wages and crap benefits (not always, but usually).

As far as the pension fund issue that the writer raises goes, there is new law (I'm not sure whether it's state or federal) that requires all pension funds to be solvent.  We just had a re-work of our pension fund, and had to vote on which course to pursue.  If we had been lucky enough to have a pension at a non-union shop, the employer/owner probably would have settled on a course of action, possibly without consulting the employees.  In the union, I get my say as to whether or not I think what is going to happen works for me.  I might not have that in a non-union shop.

The average age for a worker in my profession is 54.  In 7 years there is a predicted shortage of 150-200,000 workers.  It's not as hard to get into a union today as it was 20 years ago, in fact the unions are screaming to get people to join.  Fewer and fewer young people are going into trades or into blue collar work in general, I can remember when I was in high school (I graduated 12 years ago, do I ever feel old!), the main items pushed were computers and college.  Trades took a backseat to everything else.  Trades often involve dirty, dangerous, and hard manual labor, but they pay well, and often the only way to become established in a trade is through a trade union.

Are there problems with unions, is there corruption?  Yes to both, but there are problems and corruption with businesses too, and I don't see anyone saying or implicating that business is bad.  Does my union do things that I don't really like?  Hell yes, I (and most other people in my shop) were kind of appalled when the union donated to Hillary's campaign and gave her the endorsement.  Would I trade my union shop for another local non-union shop?  Not a chance in hell.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »
If a union is corrupt, they are run democratically, and the membership can change the leadership.

It is impossible for anyone in a private college or university to form a union in the US, as the administration claims that all the faculty are administrators and ineligible for union representation under the Yeshiva decision.

There are thousands of places where if you try to start a union, you will be fired and blacklisted. The NLRB is a toothless tool in anti-union states, with all its members very anti union. Lawyers have destroyed the National Labor Relations Act over the years.

fatman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
One other thing that I wish to point out is that the article itself doesn't quote any labor leaders, other than one, of desiring the passage of these proposals or reversals.  It does quote a guy from the National Right to Work Committee, where he claims to know what unions want, but that's about it.

Are there any other sources for the "desires" listed in the article?  I'm not being facetious, but I am curious.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
I think you can assume that anyone working for the Right to Work Committee cares not one iota for workers or their rights, and all they say on the subject can be assumed to be biased.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
I think you can assume that anyone working for the Right to Work Committee cares not one iota for workers or their rights, and all they say on the subject can be assumed to be biased.

I think we can also all assume that anything you have to say on the subject is biased.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »
Being as I have had the experience of both having union representation in collective bargaining and been denied it, and seen that it is in every way advantageous to me as a worker to be represented, of course I am biased. Just as I am biased in favor of using a microwave oven over holding my dinner over a bonfire on a stick.

One has an open mind until one can compare. Upon comparing, one selects that which makes the most sense.

A majority of workers should have the right to unionize, just as a majority of citizens have a right to select their leaders. Once the election is held, then all support the leadership, which is elected democratically in both instances.

A union is as good as its membership, the same as a democracy. When all work toward the common good, they are all more likely to enjoy it.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »
A majority of workers should have the right to unionize, just as a majority of citizens have a right to select their leaders. Once the election is held, then all support the leadership, which is elected democratically in both instances.

You support the Bush administration? News to me...